Review Freo Overrun Against the Dogs

Remove this Banner Ad

Well maybe because Treacy played ruck in the bombers game and did okay, so they thought keep Jackson in the fwd line. Hindsight.....is.....

No, no. It’s not hindsight, in real time I was filthy, Im still filthy.

Treacy against the AA ruck and the 206cm Lobb was never going to work in the centre square.

If you wanted Treacy to be apply pressure around the ground at stoppage contests - understandable, he can lock up the bigger body.

In a jumping contest he’s giving away height and reach. That clean ball killed us in the 6/6/6 era.

Absolutely on the coaches that 4th qtr.

For those saying we are too inexperienced at what point can we expect sustained success? Next season? the one after? 2026? Im afraid we will lose walters and fyfe by then and it will be another excuse trotted out by the club.
I get the travel is a biggy for the young guys but Im just bloody frustrated.
We're not at all "inexperienced".
Our backline is one of the most settled in the AFL over the last two and a half years, especially this season, we keep picking Pearce, Ryan, Cox, Walker, Young, Clark, game after game after game. Not saying any of those selections are bad as such, just that very few sides across the AFL have had such a settled backline as we have had.

Same deal with our mids, they keep picking JOM game after game after game to go with Brayshaw, Serong, Aish and (when fit) Fyfe. This year especially that group is very settled compared to sides like Port, Pies, Geelong and Melbourne, all of whom dump anyone who doesn't perform, regardless of status.

Even in the forward line, whenever fit and available we keep picking the same small forwards game after game after game, Banfield only finally got dumped after 4 bad games in a row, players like Sturt, Kuek or Corbett have no hope of ever getting the same run as the favourites.

Is it possible the plan was to give Darcy etc a rest for as long as possible then play out the rest of the game with our best group on ball? And we just stuffed it up?

Jackson barely in the ruck was an odd choice but Amiss isn't really playing all that tall at the moment so maybe he is the long dump kick option?

Is it possible the plan was to give Darcy etc a rest for as long as possible then play out the rest of the game with our best group on ball? And we just stuffed it up?

Jackson barely in the ruck was an odd choice but Amiss isn't really playing all that tall at the moment so maybe he is the long dump kick option?

When the game is literally on the line, and you’re blessed with two A grade rucks. To make a choice, as coach, to insert your third stringer into the centre square is very concerning and must be scrutinised.

JLo is normally pretty sharp gameday, but that was a dreadful call & absolutely played a part in the loss of momentum & ultimate loss of 4 points.

You can’t sugar coat s**t - this ones on JLo.

Fyfe isn't producing what we need from him and is probably being carried on reputation at this point. I don't see him improving, particularly with another injury and the fact we can't find a role for him that allows for his slowness. Even if he comes back with a strong preseason I see him as depth only. I freely admit all of that.

But let's be real. He's coming to the end of a long, injury-filled career that saw him used as a proverbial human battering ram. If you think the handful of games he's played in the last couple seasons in any way "tarnishes" what has been an otherwise incredible career then yes, you're a flog. He's a legend no matter what he does from here.

I’m sort of hoping Fyfe will be out for a few weeks. We have NOT won a game this year where we have lost clearances and only one game have we won clearances and not Won. So 14 out of 15 games this year, whether we won or lost the clearances, has correlated with the result. Our best clearance player last year was Brodie with an average of 5.71 per game followed by Serong 5.5, Mundy 4.77, Darcy 4.88, then Brayshaw 3.88. That is despite Brodie having only 69% TOG, far lower than most of the others mentioned above. Our best clearance player this year is Serong with 7.47 per game then Brodie with 5.4 despite Brodie again having only 64% TOG, I would like to see Brodie back in the side as the young midfielders Johnson and Erasmus are only averaging about 2 clearances per game and even adjusting for their average time on ground (57% and 47% respectively) to match Brodies, they are still only averaging about 2.5-3

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

They were obviously trying to replicate what they did against dons last week, but it was just really not the right time to do it. You want JT in the ruck? Don't pair him with Jonno and Ras. Jackson had been cold all game, and he was never able to work into it because we refused to bring him up the ground for bounces.

Agree on the Treacy centre bounce setup in the last Q it was unforgivable.
They seem to have abandoned Switta though the middle now too. I know he’s small but one of his best attribute is when he gets involved in handball chains out of the centre and catches the opposition off guard, with his acceleration and linebreaking. He’s got just about zero forward craft as a traditional small forward and was pretty anonymous in that role today but has impacted games well in the past from small stints in the midfield.

Not sure Brayshaw hit one target today. He wasn't the only one but was definitely the worst. Not sure the midfield can stay as it is in the future. Lacks smarts, skills and hardness
He is too lateral as an inside mid. Huge problem. Also very sloppy with his hands under pressure. Consistently sticks it into his teammates shins/feet.

Serong has poise with his hands & knows how to release a teammate into space.

Andy panics & just aims at a jumper.

He is too lateral as an inside mid. Huge problem. Also very sloppy with his hands under pressure. Consistently sticks it into his teammates shins/feet.

Serong has poise with his hands & knows how to release a teammate into space.

Andy panics & just aims at a jumper.
Seems to play a little better on the outside wing/hf. Why the MC insist on sticking with him inside is beyond me. He is ok inside against certain teams but he shouldn't have played inside against the dogs.

Seems to play a little better on the outside wing/hf. Why the MC insist on sticking with him inside is beyond me. He is ok inside against certain teams but he shouldn't have played inside against the dogs.

Today was the day you tell Caleb, Jaegar Jackson & Johnson to get to work. With stints of Brayshaw/Fyfe & Switta in there.

Instead AB went into every centre clearance. 28 he attended. Didnt win one.

WTF do the brains-trust see?

I’m sort of hoping Fyfe will be out for a few weeks. We have NOT won a game this year where we have lost clearances and only one game have we won clearances and not Won. So 14 out of 15 games this year, whether we won or lost the clearances, has correlated with the result. Our best clearance player last year was Brodie with an average of 5.71 per game followed by Serong 5.5, Mundy 4.77, Darcy 4.88, then Brayshaw 3.88. That is despite Brodie having only 69% TOG, far lower than most of the others mentioned above. Our best clearance player this year is Serong with 7.47 per game then Brodie with 5.4 despite Brodie again having only 64% TOG, I would like to see Brodie back in the side as the young midfielders Johnson and Erasmus are only averaging about 2 clearances per game and even adjusting for their average time on ground (57% and 47% respectively) to match Brodies, they are still only averaging about 2.5-3

I think Fyfe will be out a while, I don't think there'll be any rush to bring him back, so Brodie should be getting a few more opportunities as that inside bull we really need.

Today was the day you tell Caleb, Jaegar Jackson & Johnson to get to work. With stints of Brayshaw/Fyfe & Switta in there.

Not sure what they are looking at. Probably when he is ok in there against particular midfields. Disturbs me that they can't see the many other midfields he can't compete against.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Agree on the Treacy centre bounce setup in the last Q it was unforgivable.
They seem to have abandoned Switta though the middle now too. I know he’s small but one of his best attribute is when he gets involved in handball chains out of the centre and catches the opposition off guard, with his acceleration and linebreaking. He’s got just about zero forward craft as a traditional small forward and was pretty anonymous in that role today but has impacted games well in the past from small stints in the midfield.
Really dislike that aspect. Jackson and Switta had no feel for the game, yet didn’t get to the centre bounces. Switkowski should seriously be dropped as a small forward, because he’s producing nothing. He was thrown in the middle earlier in the year and did solid work.

Jackson not playing ruck was arrogant. That Western Bulldogs’ backline was their worst all year tbh. Yet didn’t do anything against it. Darcy went up numerous times and exploited it. Jackson couldn’t so why not just swap them over and have Darcy resting?

JLo is normally pretty sharp gameday,
Sorry, this is garbage, JLo is one of the worst in game and gameday coaches in the comp.
Only the greats like Teague, Bolton and Rutten are so consistent in their ability to fail to get teams ready for the first quarter, and then fail to make in game adjustments during each quarter. The reaction in the box, where JLo just lost his s**t instead of even bothering to try to reach out via calls to the bench, just sums up how frozen he is as a coach during games when anything goes against him.

Since Josh Carr left there has been no-one to really push JLO, he desperately needs an experienced mentor as assistant coach. Bob Murphy could be helping but Bell has restricted him to office duties...

Lachie can and has kicked 30 goals.
Jackson can and I’d expect Treacy to hit that mark on the near future.

But I agree with the general point.

I think now that the season is FUBAR things I’d like to see:

Aish to half back, Hughes out. Young/Clark/Chapman on to a wing.

Sturt plays every game for the rest of the season.

Switta needs to play at Peel and earn his spot back.

Jackson play as an extra midfielder at times.

Play Corbett, Emmet and Kuek at times. We can play a guy like Kuek if we’re rotating Jackson around a bit
Agree with your points and would add that Johnson, Erasmus and Brodie need to be fully explored as solutions to our midfield issues.

The coach seems caught in a dilemma regarding Fyfe, but if he is out again, then there is no reason not to use the remainder of the season to construct our 2024 midfield.

Tough game, but probably a fair indication of where we’re at. The good news for me is that the pieces that are in place have time to wait for the missing pieces to find their place.

Despite members of our recruitment teams best efforts to handicap this club, I’m always looking forward to the likes of Serong and Amiss run out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agree with your points and would add that Johnson, Erasmus and Brodie need to be fully explored as solutions to our midfield issues.

The coach seems caught in a dilemma regarding Fyfe, but if he is out again, then there is no reason not to use the remainder of the season to construct our 2024 midfield.
Fyfe is not the future, that is the reality. He is a handy player at times.
But he can’t kick goals. There is enough evidence to see he has the yips.
Midfield he is a shadow of his former self.
He is like Cotchin at the Tigers, and I would like to see him rotated with a player who can impact centre.
For me that would be Young, or even with Erasmus as the forward/mid.
Otherwise he may be better as the sub?
As for Neil, I’d honestly like to see JLo show the same faith as he has with Henry.
Freo have a very soft demeanour, and that needs to be addressed.

they obviously value the structure that the main 3 midfields bring rather than just pure stat watching

presumably brayshaw isn’t in there as our in and under extractor

think your comment that he’s not clean with his hands is way off the mark as well, he’s great in tight with his agility and often hits out guys on the move

Sorry, this is garbage, JLo is one of the worst in game and gameday coaches in the comp.
Only the greats like Teague, Bolton and Rutten are so consistent in their ability to fail to get teams ready for the first quarter, and then fail to make in game adjustments during each quarter. The reaction in the box, where JLo just lost his s**t instead of even bothering to try to reach out via calls to the bench, just sums up how frozen he is as a coach during games when anything goes against him.

Since Josh Carr left there has been no-one to really push JLO, he desperately needs an experienced mentor as assistant coach. Bob Murphy could be helping but Bell has restricted him to office duties...

lol ******* ridiculous to pot the coach off of 2 second vision you see throughout a broadcast, you have no idea

We’re playing too many small fwds probably due to where our list is at.

We need a quality medium forward who’s an aerial threat & our wingers suck.

And our key backs have poor disposal by foot IMO.

Started from centre clearances. Erasmus got penalised.
Ryan’s leap was 50/50. Umpires today though were loving Bulldogs, so they paid it.

Why was Treacy rucking ? Jackson is the second ruck. He provides run and leap. Weird coaching that.
Rule should be only one of MJ and Erasmus in the middle. Both were there with Treacy. Was that intentional?
I really want to see Erasmus and Johnson in the midfield together, just not at that particular moment.

I think supply was more of an issue today which is tied to our rebound game. Our ability to rebound this season is horrible compared to last year. Ball movement is slow and conservative and we always go side ways to the wing, rarely through the centre. I also notice that we lack the gut running that the top teams have. JLo has shown an ability to improve his game plan but if he is conservative in nature, he will never implement an aggressive gameplan.
Almost the opposite of what the preseason indicated, and what the playing list is capable of producing.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back