Autopsy Freo Owned by Dogs - Rd 19, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

One was Crozier.

Mundy pi**ed me off. Last week beasts Luke Parker and Josh Kennedy. This week couldn’t get out of 2nd gear. The difference he walked out as captain last week. I hope he just pushed himself so hard last week he was cooked, if his body is fine and he couldn’t motivate himself, that’s a real worry. The other thing I recall is Mundy suffers migraines. You can tell when he’s playing through one, it could of been that.

What was the excuse for the other 16 players? Other than a very small handful, most looked to be firing on 5 cylinders.

One was Crozier.

Mundy pi**ed me off. Last week beasts Luke Parker and Josh Kennedy. This week couldn’t get out of 2nd gear. The difference he walked out as captain last week. I hope he just pushed himself so hard last week he was cooked, if his body is fine and he couldn’t motivate himself, that’s a real worry. The other thing I recall is Mundy suffers migraines. You can tell when he’s playing through one, it could of been that.

He's 34 years old...Not going to be able to do that each week

Wow this is original , a Ross clone comic:rolleyes:

Look, I'm not against having a laugh, sometimes we can be a little bit too serious, but I'll keep doing my job in a manner that is jovial and succinct, that's what I can control, and that's what I'll continue to drive with the group.

Thanks guys.

Thanks for these. If you have them, could you provide the break down for the first quarter? Second quarter?

Cheers, either way.
PapaJ has basically already covered it, but here they are in a different format:

Q1 - 12:
B.Hill 12 (11w, 1i)
Langdon 10 wing
Conca 10
Mundy 9
Walters 8 (1w)
Brayshaw 8
Bewley 2 wing
Fyfe 1

Sandilands 8
Darcy 4

Q2 - 6
B.Hill 6 wing
Langdon 6 wing
Fyfe 6
Blakely 5
Mundy 4
Brayshaw 2
Walters 1

Sandilands 3
Darcy 3

Below partly answers your request too:

Short version:
The midfield setup you're complaining about was together only briefly, albeit early in the game. It was abandoned and Fyfe was sent there by the end of the 1st Q and Blakely by the start of the 2nd.

Long version:
I went and looked at the 1st half closely. I think the problem was Mundy and Conca also Langdon on the wing, but that's a story I'll leave to the side.

It seemed Ross figured midfield from last week got the job done, so lets put a big gun forward (Fyfe) and see if they can basically get it done again ... they couldn't.

There were 12 centre bounces in the first qrt, that midfield setup you mentioned was there for 3 of them - all with Darcy too BTW. Every other occasion it was another combo usually involving Mundy (9) and Conca (10). Those two really didn't get it done. Conca couldn't stop Bonts (the person he matched up with the most) and Mundy couldn't get enough clearances himself (2 for the whole game, 1 from centre) which is really his thing and was awful working the other way when control of the contest was lost.

So yeah, it was tactic, but the three you mention weren't in there together that often and weren't really the problem - if Mundy has a clearance game like last week, and Conca played a better defensive game, then it might have actually worked.

BTW, Fyfe finally went in the middle at the end of the 2nd and didn't really leave it - it was becoming obvious that he was needed there, and I agree it should have happened earlier which is basically what you're saying I guess?

The others mentioned - Blakely and Cerra:
1. You're complaining of Brayshaw and want Cerra in there instead or as well? That's a big call, though in fairness he went in there a bit in the 2nd half was OK.
2. Blakely basically played the entire 2nd quarter in the middle and a good deal of the rest of the game too. Conca swapped out and played more back - Conca continued to be pretty poor on closer watching and Blakely did basically OK, though he needs more strength in his body if it's going to be a permanent move.

Some Details:

1st Q:
Brayshaw, Walters, Conca - 3
Brayshaw, Walters, Mundy - 3
Mundy, Walters , Conca - 2 (started the game like this)
Brayshaw, Walters, Mundy - 2
Hill, Conca, Mundy - 1
Fyfe, Conca, Mundy - 1 (finished the quarter like this)

2nd Q:
Mundy, Fyfe, Blakely -3
Brayshaw, Fyfe, Blakely -1
Mundy, Fyfe, Walters -1
It’s more or less inferring to the fact the midfield group we have can’t seem to function without a dominant elite player such as Fyfe. Mundy is 34, Conca is too small to be playing there. Really wanted to use Cerra, Blakely, Brayshaw and Banfield more this season. Against Bulldogs, the midfield hasn’t changed in a positive direction even though we’re developing midfielders out of position.
I’d rather Walters okay 30/70 midfield if we can. Looking at the size of midfielders around the league, a lot of them will outbody Conca, Walters types which exactly what Bonts did early.
Against Geelong, really hope Banfield comes in. Because Selwood, Dangerfield and Kelly will outbody, dominate a midfield of Fyfe/Mundy/Conca.
It’s frustrating because if the midfield was in better shape, Fyfe at CHF would be a huge asset to have. Contested marking and 2-3 goals. Once Fyfe, for example was tagged against Carlton, the three quarters was the worst I’ve seen from a midfield group at Freo for some time.

LOL Im reminded of work gangs etc, some can be going along doing a seemingly good job then along comes another and makes them look lazy and getting stuff all done.

One side was motivated the other wasn't for some reason...along with at this moment - the dogs are coming good at the right time...can they and if they roll the Lion's they should be in the mix by end of 23. I don't think we are ordinary, we were made to look ordinary by a better side that was motivated.

One was Crozier.

Wtf are you talking about?! Mundy is close to retirement, it's beyond a joke that he's still our second best midfielder at his age. We're what, 3 years into a 4 year rebuild and we still rely heavily on him, it's really not fair on him. He shouldn't be expected to get 25+ every game at the latter part of his career.

Blame this rebulid, not the 30+ veteran who still has to carry a massive load because our midfield is pathetic.

Wtf are you talking about?! Mundy is close to retirement, it's beyond a joke that he's still our second best midfielder at his age. We're what, 3 years into a 4 year rebuild and we still rely heavily on him, it's really not fair on him. He shouldn't be expected to get 25+ every game at the latter part of his career.

Blame this rebulid, not the 30+ veteran who still has to carry a massive load because our midfield is pathetic.

Wonder if anyone has done game time spread for clubs midfield group across the season. Shared load across a bigger number of quality mids would most likely be a better performance sustained for longer both in a game and throughout the season as both group and individually...in theory at least without that info.

It’s more or less inferring to the fact the midfield group we have can’t seem to function without a dominant elite player such as Fyfe. Mundy is 34, Conca is too small to be playing there. Really wanted to use Cerra, Blakely, Brayshaw and Banfield more this season. Against Bulldogs, the midfield hasn’t changed in a positive direction even though we’re developing midfielders out of position.
I’d rather Walters okay 30/70 midfield if we can. Looking at the size of midfielders around the league, a lot of them will outbody Conca, Walters types which exactly what Bonts did early.
Against Geelong, really hope Banfield comes in. Because Selwood, Dangerfield and Kelly will outbody, dominate a midfield of Fyfe/Mundy/Conca.
It’s frustrating because if the midfield was in better shape, Fyfe at CHF would be a huge asset to have. Contested marking and 2-3 goals. Once Fyfe, for example was tagged against Carlton, the three quarters was the worst I’ve seen from a midfield group at Freo for some time.

Sure, I agree with a lot of that. Conca and Mundy can have their days/moments - but it's an issue that Mundy in particular needs to be playing like he could 4-5 years ago for us to really fire. Conca is OK, but limited. As you say, against those big elite mids around the place, he's just a touch small to hold them to account and he can win his own ball, but he's not A grade at that eather. So, yeah, a part-time horses for courses mid is all he'll be I suppose.

On the plus side, Brayshaw is on the verge. He's played more mid than people think and it's been slowly increasing in recent weeks. Cerra has to surely get more time there now too. It will cost us at times, but he's got to learn the craft sooner rather than later.

Blakely belongs in middle, but he has issues. Speaking of big body mids, he gets pushed off lines at times and he doesn't quite have the smarts and that latteral movement that say Walters does. We need to remember he came into this season with not 50 games under his belt (56 at the moment). He will be hitting his prime in next few seasons and is every chance to come on in there, keep building the tank and all that - I sure hope so anyway.

Haven't watched the game but the chatter about Naughton is bringing tears to the eye.
Why the **ck we didn't draft him is beyond me. I told you all , he was the best KP prospect I had ever seen. Why the club refuses to draft WA KP,S is a crime. I am officially over caring about who the club drafts, no more membership dollars from me.
Naughton was overlooked because he was regarded as a KP Defender. we drafted Logue the year before and that would have meant drating 2 KPD in successive years with Pearce and Hamling already on the books

i seriously hope Logue was worth the investment of a number 8 pick

Naughton was overlooked because he was regarded as a KP Defender. we drafted Logue the year before and that would have meant drating 2 KPD in successive years with Pearce and Hamling already on the books

i seriously hope Logue was worth the investment of a number 8 pick
Actually don’t think Logue’s best footy is as a key defender. He will he uses as an inside bull midfielder much like Fyfe. Has the body and athleticism. Feel like he would be wasted down back given his talent

Haven't watched the game but the chatter about Naughton is bringing tears to the eye.
Why the **ck we didn't draft him is beyond me. I told you all , he was the best KP prospect I had ever seen. Why the club refuses to draft WA KP,S is a crime. I am officially over caring about who the club drafts, no more membership dollars from me.
Why don't you remind us of all the countless wrong drafting calls that you would have undoubtedly made and conviniently forgotten about over the years instead of cherry picking one that happened to have maybe got right?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back