Autopsy Freo Owned by Dogs - Rd 19, 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

I watched the delayed telecast and at one point there was a Bulldogs player laying on his back and the commentators were concerned about an injury so the cameras panned back on him for a few seconds.

Just as this player rolled over off his back Dermott said:

"He's rolled over now".

Masterclass commentary.

So we are done now and no need to fantasise about finals anymore this year. We take our medicine and give Banfield, North, Dixon, Carter, Crowden and Toby Watson a go and even Valente and Sturt if they play okay for Peel the next few weeks.

God your all a miserable lot when we lose...

Yeah we have injuries but it is what it is. Injuries to Hogan and tabs hurt. McCarthy didnt play either.

There are a few positives

Brayshaw got 26 disposals and 3 goals.

I wanted tucker dropped after last weeks game vs the swans. He got 14 disposals and 2 goals.

we stand with 8 wins and 10 defeats. I still think freo can get 1, possibly 2 more wins.

God your all a miserable lot when we lose...

Yeah we have injuries but it is what it is. Injuries to Hogan and tabs hurt. McCarthy didnt play either.

There are a few positives

Brayshaw got 26 disposals and 3 goals.

I wanted tucker dropped after last weeks game vs the swans. He got 14 disposals and 2 goals.

we stand with 8 wins and 10 defeats. I still think freo can get 1, possibly 2 more wins.
McCarthy didn't play because he was dropped not injured... Big difference.

McCarthy didn't play because he was dropped not injured... Big difference.

Not to bang on about it again .... but I will; McCarthy didn't play because he's a 3rd tall/medium fwd who's a poor contested mark, who can't run the wings, who can't pressure, who has next to no second efforts and rarely sticks a tackle. If he had a more rounded game that a player of his capabilities should, then he would never be dropped.

Scary thing is our midfield is so slow and can't spread and we may lose BHIll and Langdon.

Our 2021 midfield - Fyfe, Cerra, Brayshaw, Conca, Tucker, Blakely, Valente???

If we lose BHill and Langdon the Fyfe era is officially over. That Neale (2019 Brownlow 🏅) would be pretty handy too 😭

Scary thing is our midfield is so slow and can't spread and we may lose BHIll and Langdon.

Our 2021 midfield - Fyfe, Cerra, Brayshaw, Conca, Tucker, Blakely, Valente???

If we lose BHill and Langdon the Fyfe era is officially over. That Neale (2019 Brownlow 🏅) would be pretty handy too 😭
Brownlow means s**t these days.
Even Priddis got one.

I (and a few others) have done longer and more detailed posts earlier this year looking at rebuilds and how they work out. And a successful rebuild generally does not look much like Fremantle’s 2016-19 period. As you point out, not all rebuilds are the same but the successful ones generally don’t show such limited improvement year to year, particularly while continuing to play fairly experienced players.

I believe that your original point was that many of our posts were lacking “objectivity” or something along those lines. Well then I’d be interested in your Objective assessment our club. Are you happy with where it’s at?

And as for your suggestion to call the club? I have kids, run a law firm and have 3 board positions, so no thanks. I’m busy enough and am not an expert on footy administration. But I do enjoy posting on big footy from time to time, a discussion board about footy. So thanks for the discussion.
I've read those posts - are they the ones where everybody's suggestions are just hindsight hero posts where you say all the players that we should have drafted?

It is nearly impossible to accurately critique a club because you have NFI about the internal workings. There is so much more to it than list management and you can't see it. So how you think you have done a thorough analysis of it is baffling. So if I were to scrutinise your law firm purely on what I can see from the outside, would that likely tell me everything I need to know about how your firm runs in order to make an objective assessment of its performance?

Also, surely such a credentialed person as yourself knows why you shouldn't need to drop credentials in this argument?

My objective assessment is that the rebuild is about on schedule. We are not drastically ahead or behind but we are 3-4 quality players short. I think we need 2 more drafts or equivalent trading.

Not to bang on about it again .... but I will; McCarthy didn't play because he's a 3rd tall/medium fwd who's a poor contested mark, who can't run the wings, who can't pressure, who has next to no second efforts and rarely sticks a tackle. If he had a more rounded game that a player of his capabilities should, then he would never be dropped.
Well who would want someone up forward and the only thing they can apparently do is kick the odd goal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dear Forwards,

Please lead at the ball carrier, you know like the Dogs players did.

Thanks
I'll take kicks into space for the forwards to run onto or even just to their advantage, instead of long bombs to a 4v6. We couldn't hit a FF at full sprint on a 30m lead even if we wanted to, we'd need to be able to kick to do that.

All the doggies did was pick a man out with short sharp kicks.

A work colleague sent me this. Can't say he is wrong lol
View attachment 717226
I feel like this can be applied to most aspects of life beyond footy.

After watching all the postgame stuff it's hard for me to make a case that Ross isn't in fact looking elsewhere.

I sort of figured this would be a pretty tough one but a lot of our guys ended up beating themselves. The way Geelong is looking lately a win at home next week seems within the realm of possibility if everyone screws their heads on the right way.

Something that irked me at the game was the kickouts after a point.
It seemed every kickout went to a player in the pocket, no further up the field & hemmed into one side.
And often that player was Hamling!!!
I even saw Conca take a kickout.
The Dogs had Daniel, probably their second best decision maker with the ball (after the Bont, who it is a joy to watch), yet we seem to have no inspiration when it comes to kickouts.
It was bloody frustrating! :mad::poo:

It seemed every kickout went to a player in the pocket, no further up the field & hemmed into one side.
The Dogs had Daniel, probably their second best decision maker with the ball (after the Bont, who it is a joy to watch), yet we seem to have no inspiration when it comes to kickouts.

This s**t me to no end. Being at the game sat in the pocket. chip kick to the pocket then bomb out to 55/60 and often come straight back.
Meanwhile we let the other teams go coast to coast to coast in about 4 kicks.

This is craxy to me - we have a couple of very long kicks and at the very least can quickly move the ball to defensive wing with every kick out and yet we go 15m to the pocket. Always results in 65m out down the line and slow movement. This as much as anything else makes zero sense.

I've read those posts - are they the ones where everybody's suggestions are just hindsight hero posts where you say all the players that we should have drafted?

It is nearly impossible to accurately critique a club because you have NFI about the internal workings. There is so much more to it than list management and you can't see it. So how you think you have done a thorough analysis of it is baffling. So if I were to scrutinise your law firm purely on what I can see from the outside, would that likely tell me everything I need to know about how your firm runs in order to make an objective assessment of its performance?

Also, surely such a credentialed person as yourself knows why you shouldn't need to drop credentials in this argument?

My objective assessment is that the rebuild is about on schedule. We are not drastically ahead or behind but we are 3-4 quality players short. I think we need 2 more drafts or equivalent trading.

If you need to drop credentials, argument is lost. I cant pretend to know whether the rebuild is on track or not but sh*t I am sick of losing.

Ross: "we havent had a blowout yet" Nekminnit ...
Ross: "we have only had one blowout" blah blah blah.

the kickouts from goal are almost a weathervane of where we're at. The few games this year where we've attacked and really sparkled we've moved the ball long and direct from kick ins. It seems to directly correlate to the confidence of the team in general.
Its the same when they're trying to bring the ball from half back across the centre. When we're on players are running past, offering leads etc, when not you almost can't believe we have 18 players on the field because they've all found somewhere to hide. No one wants it.
Confidence goes a long way in sport.

the kickouts from goal are almost a weathervane of where we're at. The few games this year where we've attacked and really sparkled we've moved the ball long and direct from kick ins. It seems to directly correlate to the confidence of the team in general.
Its the same when they're trying to bring the ball from half back across the centre. When we're on players are running past, offering leads etc, when not you almost can't believe we have 18 players on the field because they've all found somewhere to hide. No one wants it.
Confidence goes a long way in sport.
I agree totally with this, the question that puzzles is why, later in recent seasons, we appear so tentative and confused?
Is it totally down to our injuries? Have the players spent their tickets too early in the season? Are the players all on the same page or is there some level of dissatisfaction re non playing issues (players supposedly leaving in the off season, coaching dramas etc)?

I also worry that there appears to be little leadership in these situations. Centre bounces and kick ins from behinds are two of the only regimented activities in our game and should be the easiest to rectify when not working correctly. It seems our on-field leadership isn't addressing these issues quickly enough, particularly the kick ins...they would have been practiced a thousand times in the pre season, yet we dish that up on Saturday.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back