Autopsy Freo owned by the Giants

Ben The Donkey

Cancelled
Aug 18, 2019
AFL Club
Fremantle
De boer fined for misconduct on Fyfe is interesting. Did he give away any frees?
"Should have". Here's the one in question in first quarter. Giants have 3 on the board by this stage and us one:

Umpire was right there, he actually backed up past it so by the time Fyfe was on the ground, he was looking directly at the situation from behind De Boer. There is no way that was "missed"... it was just overlooked. And then Greene given a high contact free a few seconds later.
In the context of the game and how it played out, this was important.

I don't mind a bit of tagging, obviously, it's part of the game. But when players are held off the ball or not given any chance to get into it (Fyfe in prime position there) then it detracts from the entire game. It must be done within the rules, and players must be allowed to play.
A $500 fine is a slap in the face. The viewers and the game are the real losers.

Last edited:

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
"Should have". Here's the one in question in first quarter. Giants have 3 on the board by this stage and us one:

Umpire was right there, he actually backed up past it so by the time Fyfe was on the ground, he was looking directly at the situation from behind De Boer. There is no way that was "missed"... it was just overlooked. And then Greene given a high contact free a few seconds later.

I don't mind a bit of tagging, obviously, it's part of the game. But when players are held off the ball or not given any chance to get into it (Fyfe in prime position there) then it detracts from the entire game. It must be done within the rules, and players must be allowed to play.
A $500 fine is a slap in the face. The viewers and the game are the real losers.

Isn't that Cognilio (no 3) tackling Fyfe.

Johnny Dalmas

Getting Old and Grumpy
Oct 16, 2015
Albany
AFL Club
Fremantle
We'd have 15 blokes chewing up salary I'd rather spend on Serong or Cerra performing well worse than Aish. I'm also hesistant to put too much blame on him when Fyfe and Walters are doing next to nothing recently. I think he should play better, sure, but singling him out is just bizarre. Wouldn't be near to our highest earner and cost roughly what it cost to get Tucker into the club. Tucker was no better overall than Aish is either.

Not sure what you said but I definitely said that Lobb was no better than Tabs (back then) as a forward and is clearly a level or two below now. Agree otherwise. He only plays well when marking everything down the line (round 1) and is basically mediocre elsewhere. I think is fine as the 2nd ruck and to draw a KPD, but is not 700k or first round pick worthy.
Yeah, spending a 1st rounder + another 1st round downgrade on a ruck/forward was, well, a "generous" decision. It probably suggests that we thought we just needed forward line "talent" to make it all work. So together with Hogan everything was in-place. I don't know if running a successful offensive system is that simple.

May 2, 2017
QLD
AFL Club
Fremantle
Yeah, spending a 1st rounder + another 1st round downgrade on a ruck/forward was, well, a "generous" decision. It probably suggests that we thought we just needed forward line "talent" to make it all work. So together with Hogan everything was in-place. I don't know if running a successful offensive system is that simple.
Well I think the output shows it is clearly not. Even when both playing we have hardly been a scoring juggernaut.

I don't think it would bother me so much if that draft hadn't been so obviously stacked as it was (especially Lobb). We gave away two top 6 picks in that draft and it's just baffling.

Sep 30, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Freo and Bulldogs, ManU
Isn't that Cognilio (no 3) tackling Fyfe.

Ok...
if I look at this slowly...

The umpire bounces the ball...he's backing up when Coniglio is holding Fyfe with his right arm wround the waist and left hand on the hip.
By the time the umpire backs up enough to be able to see, Nathan is pinning Coniglio's arm to his side...

Probably lucky the muppet didn't pay a free against Fyfe

stax on the mull

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 26, 2010
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Matildas
Ok...
if I look at this slowly...

The umpire bounces the ball...he's backing up when Coniglio is holding Fyfe with his right arm wround the waist and left hand on the hip.
By the time the umpire backs up enough to be able to see, Nathan is pinning Coniglio's arm to his side...

Probably lucky the muppet didn't pay a free against Fyfe

Too busy admiring that he got the bounce right so he could boast about it to the other umps during the break, but I guess he's got to adjudicate the ruck contest. Should have been in Margetts eyeline who is standing inside the 50m on the right.

Madas

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Fremantle

It is a s**t part of our game .
Watching the Bulldogs / Geelong game last week it was infuriating watching Bont getting held back by his jumper time and time again in the midfield following the centre bounce .
Was clearly visible and not a one off .
Ruined a good game .

Back