Freo should retire #29

Remove this Banner Ad

Rockmelon

Team Captain
Jul 11, 2022
AFL Club
Fremantle
Pretty self-explanatory. Matty Pavlich is arguably to greatest docker in our clubs short history and pretty much kept us relevant through the early 2000s. No one has worn 29 since he retired (Sorry Luke Valente) I dont know the AFL's rules on number retirement or if there actually is any but i cant ever imagine someone else wearing 29 it just wouldn't feel right.

I’ll be honest Pavlich was one of my heroes growing up. So many great memories - not to mention how good he was and how loyal he was to the club.

Couldn’t give a single **** what number was on his back though. Unpopular opinion I guess but his number doesn’t add to his legacy as a player for me.

Only way I actually think numbers matter would be when players look at their locker and see who played in their number previously. So we want no one at Freo to see Pav’s name on their locker again?

Last edited:
Nope.

Fremantle supporters must be the most nauseously sentimental fanbase towards past players in the competition. It's why we're flailing around where we are on the ladder being run by a losers boy club.

If Walker can almost immediately inherit #31 - then I'm sure we can let players choose to take #16 & #29 next year. Time to grow up past this tradition that shouldn't exist - let alone at our club.

I’ll be honest Pavlich was one of my heroes growing up. So many great memories - not to mention how good he was and how loyal he was to the club.

Couldn’t give a single **** what number was on his back though. Unpopular opinion I guess but his number doesn’t add to his legacy as a player for me.

Only way I actually think numbers matter would be when players look at their locker and see who played in their number previously. So we want no one at Freo to see Pav’s name on their locker again?
I do agree, but i think because 29 is such a unique number though it will always be Pavs and anyone who ever wears it again will always get comparisons.

One of my earliest memories as a footy fan was watching Pav have a field day at the old AAMI park against Adelaide were he single handedly nearly won us the game.

I don't think he gets enough credit for what he did for the footy club in the early days when we were a basket case

One of the guys told a story on BackChat about how Cox asked for the 29 after being drafted, oblivious to the significance behind it. Apparently Chris Bond scoffed in his face and decided to allocate the players numbers based on their draft position rather than letting them choose.

Point of the story, give Cox his 29.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Numbers in general are a stupid tradition. What are you? A living, loving, breathing human with dreams, fears, hopes and desires or a ******* digit?

We should dispense with, altogether and immediately, this whole dehumanising project.

Players should be allowed to express their identity however they wish.

Unless, of course, it’s with a number.

Ordering them on the stats sheets and lockers should be entirely arbitrary. We should hire older ladies from the outer suburbs to order everything based entirely on feels.

They in fact should look after this drafting business as well. Pick players based on whether they just like them.

And whenever they feel like it too. * the AFL and their alleged order. Marilyn and Linda are just going to open themselves up to the universe and if they like the look of young Harley or whoever the *, they’re in.

You drones can do things numerically.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back