Review Freo Squeak Over the Line Against Hawks - Rd 13 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I think Logue could be a genuine key forward, he obviously needs to build a bit of confidence around goals but even on a "down day" he mustve given off at least 5 handballs leading to shots

He crashes packs and then is up straight away for the crumb with his athleticism

I think he is. His crumbing abilities is just a bonus but his ability to crash packs is awesome. One play, Serong gets the clearance and kicks it long inside 50. Logues in a 2 v 1 but is still able to get the ball down to a front and centre Banfield who kicks it. Tabs and Lobb have their own strengths but they don’t do enough of that.

I hope we keep him up forward.

I think he is. His crumbing abilities is just a bonus but his ability to crash packs is awesome. One play, Serong gets the clearance and kicks it long inside 50. Logues in a 2 v 1 but is still able to get the ball down to a front and centre Banfield who kicks it. Tabs and Lobb have their own strengths but they don’t do enough of that.

I hope we keep him up forward.

I'm watching the replay of the third quarter, 3 of our first 4 goals were directly set up by his aerial presence and then quick hands.

Funny cos my main criticism of him in the backline is that he puts on great spoiling efforts but doesn't kill the ball and finds himself on the ground a fair bit while an opposition small waltzes in to an open goal.

He looks a completely different player up forward! Great size too

I'm watching the replay of the third quarter, 3 of our first 4 goals were directly set up by his aerial presence and then quick hands.

Funny cos my main criticism of him in the backline is that he puts on great spoiling efforts but doesn't kill the ball and finds himself on the ground a fair bit while an opposition small waltzes in to an open goal.

He looks a completely different player up forward! Great size too
Yes the chaos he creates is good news in the forward fifty, not so much in the back half.

Jesus... if that hit to the chest is a free then why wasn't the hit to Fyfe's chest while he was on the ground a reversal?

Really smacks of the umpire looking for an excuse to give them the ball. Fits perfectly with the theme of the night.

Tbh it feels like we're still paying the price for that GWS game

Anyone watch the replay and notice a huge number of Fyfe’s defensive efforts that went missed, smother here, tackle there… better than I remember. Not sure pressure acts is truly reflective of what he did.

Having watched the replay, it showed a lot of Fyfe & Mundy’s little “1 percenter’s “. Very quick dab hands.

These two have set the bar very high, sometimes we as supporters get restless, even though these players put in bloody good team orientated games.

Think we need to throw him back against carlton though. They've got three talls with McKay, Silvagni, Curnow, and I don't trust Pearce or cox to match up well with curnow.
I reckon Luke Ryan can cover Silvagni, he's only 191cm and Luke has played well on taller. Or put Hughes on Silvagni and leave Lukey as the intercepting floater. Cox to Curnow and Pearce to McKay. The key is to not let them have too many clean entries.

Leave Griff up front, we can really stretch their defence.

Just need to win the midfield battle.

His coach would love him. Now there’s an A-grade grub flog prick or whatever else works for you.

In fact Mitchell is worse than that. He might be clever and astute and he was a very skillful footballer and he might make a good coach too. But he was and still is a cheat. He’s a conniving slippery little turd.

He was thuggish and kneeing blokes is cheating. It’s not clever. It’s not tough. And it’s not “unsociable” either. It’s deliberately going out of your way to hurt people outside the rules. It’s un-Australian. I hate seeing his smug face on my tv.

And if he moulds his team into how he played, as I suspect, then I incredibly have even MORE reason to hate Hawthorn.
x2

I reckon Luke Ryan can cover Silvagni, he's only 191cm and Luke has played well on taller. Or put Hughes on Silvagni and leave Lukey as the intercepting floater. Cox to Curnow and Pearce to McKay. The key is to not let them have too many clean entries.

I think the Ryan/Silvagni matchup will work, but I really don't think Cox is suited to curnow.

I'd rather pretty much anyone other than Cox on Curnow tbh, you'd see him trailing on the lead by 10m ever contest. I'd put Ryan or even Hughes on Curnow before Cox

Pearce did not play loose. If you watch closely, he plays deep and takes the player in that position whomever that may be.
This is a structural/game plan strategy. They play team defence on a lot of occasions so often the opposition fwds rotate between CHF and FF.
Thanks. Please keep posting. Don't let the bustards win.

Mongrel punt's assessment of the game. Author is calling it one of the best matches of the season, to which I concur. Great write up as always.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hughes could be ok on Curnow as a purely destructive role. Certainly hard enough to get Curnow hearing footsteps

On SM-G955F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Hughes definitely has the speed to stay with Curnow. Thing is, if Tabs is ready. A forward line of Tabs, Lobb and Fyfe can be quite damaging against Carlton's undersized defense.
TBH the guy I'd be stopping is Docherty, he gets too much loose ball and is damaging with it.

This is buying into the myth that Hawthorn are a young side on the up a bit. Yes they played 11 players with under 50 games yesterday, but equally they had 8 players over 27 and only 4 players under 21 (a lot of mature aged picks or 3 to 6th year players on low games in the side) and this is with McAvoy, Impey and Gunston out.

Mitchell has them well coached but this is absolutely the best they can play (and as we saw it wasn't 4 quater sustainable) and I don't see where their improvement is coming from. The young midfield talent cupboard in particular is bare. Frankly I think losing all these games despite being in them is doing them a favour. Nevertheless they a solid chance to implode next year if they don't start winning then and bang, it's rebuild for real.
Missed Lewis, Ward, MacDonald, DGB. Who would come in and replace blokes like Howe, Shiels, Hartigan.

Don’t agree with your sentiment regarding us not being young, 2nd youngest in the league behind Adelaide. Aswell as this being our best and not seeing where the improvement comes from.

Good game tho, hope you lads can do well in the finals I love your midfield 🕺

Missed Lewis, Ward, MacDonald, DGB. Who would come in and replace blokes like Howe, Shiels, Hartigan.

Don’t agree with your sentiment regarding us not being young, 2nd youngest in the league behind Adelaide. Aswell as this being our best and not seeing where the improvement comes from.

Good game tho, hope you lads can do well in the finals I love your midfield 🕺

Are you talking about the entire squad or the group that was named?

There was a period of time where Brisbane had one of the youngest lists but fielded essentially only their veterans with over half their list having played under ten games and only about 24 players used in game.

Are you talking about the entire squad or the group that was named?

There was a period of time where Brisbane had one of the youngest lists but fielded essentially only their veterans with over half their list having played under ten games and only about 24 players used in game.
Think it was list and a lot of the teams we’ve put out early on. We’ve kept a lot of older players who won’t play after the bye out of necessity through injuries and some form finding where it sees probably 2 from the VFL and a couple back from injury etc.

And yeah Brisbane weren’t smart when they did it and it’s why it took so long for them to rebuild.

Think it was list and a lot of the teams we’ve put out early on. We’ve kept a lot of older players who won’t play after the bye out of necessity through injuries and some form finding where it sees probably 2 from the VFL and a couple back from injury etc.

And yeah Brisbane weren’t smart when they did it and it’s why it took so long for them to rebuild.

That period I was talking about directly preceded them making finals again. It was when they had Stef Martin in the ruck and the likes of Brichall, Hodge in the backline. Circa 2019

If I was a Hawthorn supporter, I would wake each morning and punch myself in the face, but I would also be pretty happy with what Grub Mitchell is up to. They had been dealing in retreads and second-chancers for so long, and had been out of the top end of the draft for so long, that an horrific correction was long overdue. We humans were expecting their shitness to be real and sustained but it looks like the Grub is the perfect coach for a heartening rebuild:

1. He deals in emotion and can get dudes motivated beyond their ability
2. He unpicks the oppo system and finds room or flaws in it to operate in - as oppose to building a system and sticking fat to it no matter what. So you get a chance to be in games that you wouldn't be if you were bedding down a new system and playing it through thick and thin.

If I was a Hawthorn supporter, I would wake each morning and punch myself in the face, but I would also be pretty happy with what Grub Mitchell is up to. They had been dealing in retreads and second-chancers for so long, and had been out of the top end of the draft for so long, that an horrific correction was long overdue. We humans were expecting their shitness to be real and sustained but it looks like the Grub is the perfect coach for a heartening rebuild:

1. He deals in emotion and can get dudes motivated beyond their ability
2. He unpicks the oppo system and finds room or flaws in it to operate in - as oppose to building a system and sticking fat to it no matter what. So you get a chance to be in games that you wouldn't be if you were bedding down a new system and playing it through thick and thin.
He also deals in games of "Simon Says" when meeting his playing group for the first time. The guy's a dead-set flog.

That period I was talking about directly preceded them making finals again. It was when they had Stef Martin in the ruck and the likes of Brichall, Hodge in the backline. Circa 2019
I didn't mind that, but the point of them playing those blokes was to fast track the kids around them, it's hard to fast track kids that aren't playing alongside them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back