Review Freo Their Own Worst Enemy - Rd 19 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet..

Did anyone else see Andrew Brayshaw gesturing to the defensive unit as he came onto the field at the end of the first quarter by grabbing his jumped and tugging it with a look on his face that was screaming?

He worked his bum off after that too.

I pray Schultz never leaves. Some here may not rate him but hes one our footballer who always gives 110%. He is the very essence of The Dockers.
I used to think the same of Chris Mayne. He was always a barometer of how the team was going. Maybe its the position they both play? But it does seem if that pressure forward is playing well and scoring a few goals, the team is in a good place.

I think we need to add one or two better kicks into our midfield. Henry and Stanley are a good start but otherwise our midfields kicking skills are poor.
Agree. This is noticeably lacking with our mids. Even when they are getting a unopposed clearance their first option is to bomb it in instead of hitting a target. This is something we been missing with Mundy's departure

Are we playing Johnson partially in defence atm? If so, is it because we want to use his kicking from half back, or because we don't like his midfield work? Is this also because Pearce can't kick (injury according to Taylor) and/or because Young is off the boil and Wagner (although relatively good last night) can also turn them over?

Did we also play Jackson as a defender in the last quarter? The defence not doing what they wanted clearly was a massive concern in the coaching box and they were trying all sorts. Just wondering if we will see Sturt down there next given he has pace and speed?

Watching I was torn over the delivery of the midfield; there was too much handballing in the midfield especially when we let them get up by 5 goals, but then Serong (whom I reckon is the one trying his hardest to stick to the actual gameplan which is to get it in the forward line fast) kicks some terrible kicks into the forward line that dropped short land straight in the oppositions lap to rebound quickly. Last year Acres kicked moonballs in there and at least the height gave time for the talls to create a contest; maybe we should be kicking it fast but putting a lot more height on it? Having Jackson in the ruck also doesnt help when we need him forward....
Sorry, but disagree bombing it into the forward 50 to compensate mids lacking skills is not a good strategy. If current mids can't do this, then find mids that know how to lower the eyes and hit a target. Would do wonders to our ability to score. Doesn't help if they getting spanked most of the time and can't get i50 and when they do, just fluff it. Not too mention teams with good intercepting markers would just feast of those. Look at Darcy from pies last week

Even Stanley with the limited possessions he had showed more than what our other mids can in this area. Funny enough it works.

Last edited:
hahaha

We got beat by a bottom 4 team.

Is anyone listening yet?

Nah. I'll wait.
We lost to the second bottom team...at home, earlier this season. This is by no means our lowest point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We crowd our forward line too much. So when we win centre clearances it is a 6 on 6 contest when it should be 3 on 3. Lower the eyes and give Amiss and Treacy some space to lead into with Walters and Shultz to clean up any ground balls

Earlier in the season when our forward line wasn't functioning, I asked for Corbett to be given a run.

Well, he had his run last night and was shithaus. Was a nothing performance and don't think he adds anything, even as a back up option, to our forward line going forward.

Need speed, need to have players running ahead of the ball. Wagner and Clark provide that for quick mids and forwards.
Need stronger and faster mids and forwards. Switta and Fred are quick, but they don't do enough

Also, I'm a Brodie fan and when we were flying last year, I thought Brodie was a major contributor to that good form.

This season for the first few games he was off last season by around 5 to 10% and subsequently so were we. I thought he was dropped by JL and the match committee (Peter Bell) far to quickly. I thought there were others that deserved to drive down to Rushton Park for a game before Brodie did.

Are we playing Johnson partially in defence atm? If so, is it because we want to use his kicking from half back, or because we don't like his midfield work? Is this also because Pearce can't kick (injury according to Taylor) and/or because Young is off the boil and Wagner (although relatively good last night) can also turn them over?

Did we also play Jackson as a defender in the last quarter? The defence not doing what they wanted clearly was a massive concern in the coaching box and they were trying all sorts. Just wondering if we will see Sturt down there next given he has pace and speed?

Watching I was torn over the delivery of the midfield; there was too much handballing in the midfield especially when we let them get up by 5 goals, but then Serong (whom I reckon is the one trying his hardest to stick to the actual gameplan which is to get it in the forward line fast) kicks some terrible kicks into the forward line that dropped short land straight in the oppositions lap to rebound quickly. Last year Acres kicked moonballs in there and at least the height gave time for the talls to create a contest; maybe we should be kicking it fast but putting a lot more height on it? Having Jackson in the ruck also doesnt help when we need him forward....
Maybe bring Acres back?

I'm not saying he was disgraced, but the loss of pace was particularly noticeable for me today. Like I said, he'll be fine for the rest of the year but I'd be shocked if he got another contract.
He us no slower than Cox. The lack of pace is come from having Hughes and Young playing on smalls in the same backline. Especially as Ryan doesn't appear to ti be willing or able to play that role any longer

The forward line is still an issue which is no surprise. Lack of experience, leadership and class - no surprise.

What did get me was the amount of centre stoppage free kicks and the amount that went against us. It seemed that every single time we looked to be getting back into the game by scoring a goal, the very next centre stoppage went to Sydney by way of a free.

I don't know if it's been mentioned yet..

Did anyone else see Andrew Brayshaw gesturing to the defensive unit as he came onto the field at the end of the first quarter by grabbing his jumped and tugging it with a look on his face that was screaming?

He worked his bum off after that too.
What's concerning is that he was part of the problem with contested ball in the clearances.

Holy frustrating balls.

I'm convinced this team is closer than people think. It's really half a quarter to a quarter of completely switching off and moments of stupidity costing momentum (cough Ras cough)
I agree

I didn’t come away from the game feeling pissed off like I did with Carlton
Ras was generally very good though last night
There is a lot there to work with

The dinky hand balls need to be done at pace not to flat feet

Corbett looked really unfit
Didn’t add much
We need to go after someone his size but who is a gun

Other than him everyone else was effective
Stoked to see Henry and Treacy and Ras building
Really need some size in the midfield

Was an enjoyable night out
Crowd feels a bit broken though
If there is general improvement throughout next year I don’t think it will take much to get the buzz back

Was pleasing to see some effort despite some deplorable skill and decision making errors

Carn Freo

The forward line is still an issue which is no surprise. Lack of experience, leadership and class - no surprise.

What did get me was the amount of centre stoppage free kicks and the amount that went against us. It seemed that every single time we looked to be getting back into the game by scoring a goal, the very next centre stoppage went to Sydney by way of a free.
Was disgraceful umpiring at times
The free against Walters right in front of us was just a joke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back