Review Freo Their Own Worst Enemy - Rd 19 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I only got home in time to watch the last qtr, based on what I saw it's hard to fathom that we lost that. We were all over them, looked the much better team.

Slow start cost us another game from the sounds of it.
Start was actually very good
We got reemed by the umps for about 15 minutes late on the first quarter which resulted in 3 goals to Swans

Just couldn’t quite claw that back , they tried valiantly though

Also, I'm a Brodie fan and when we were flying last year, I thought Brodie was a major contributor to that good form.

This season for the first few games he was off last season by around 5 to 10% and subsequently so were we. I thought he was dropped by JL and the match committee (Peter Bell) far to quickly. I thought there were others that deserved to drive down to Rushton Park for a game before Brodie did.

Much has been made of his perceived defensive liabilities when there are a number of other players who are equally bad, and his primary contribution to the team often makes the need to run back to cover irrelevant.

I agree he was a bit down to start the year, but based on last year he should really have a lot more credits given how important he was to us. Injury has also come at a bad time.

Much has been made of his perceived defensive liabilities when there are a number of other players who are equally bad, and his primary contribution to the team often makes the need to run back to cover irrelevant.

I agree he was a bit down to start the year, but based on last year he should really have a lot more credits given how important he was to us. Injury has also come at a bad time.
I totally agree. He also largely won the game for us when he came on as a sub against GC didn’t he? Given his positives are something we have been missing badly then my approach would be to live with his negatives and chip away at them. As you say, pity about the injury.

The forward line is still an issue which is no surprise. Lack of experience, leadership and class - no surprise.

What did get me was the amount of centre stoppage free kicks and the amount that went against us. It seemed that every single time we looked to be getting back into the game by scoring a goal, the very next centre stoppage went to Sydney by way of a free.

Yeah those centre stoppage frees were momentum killers. Start of the third was the most noticeable I’ve ever seen it. Freo two quick goals and on a roll then free kick Sydney out of the centre, free kick to Buddy goal

Went back and watched the replay this morning and technically they were there but certainly outliers compared to how the rest of the game seemed to go I thought

My Buddy is NOD

The forward line is still an issue which is no surprise. Lack of experience, leadership and class - no surprise.

What did get me was the amount of centre stoppage free kicks and the amount that went against us. It seemed that every single time we looked to be getting back into the game by scoring a goal, the very next centre stoppage went to Sydney by way of a free.
Jackson was basically playing fullback in the last quarter, and playing JT in the ruck when Jackson is resting on the bench doesn't help. We are already losing Jackson from the forward line with Darcy out, I'd be playing Reid just to keep JT in the forward line so Amiss isn't all alone up there. JT actually competes pretty well in the ruck, but it effectively leaves the opposition with a loose man in defence when Dogga is on the bench.

Yeah those centre stoppage frees were momentum killers. Start of the third was the most noticeable I’ve ever seen it. Freo two quick goals and on a roll then free kick Sydney out of the centre, free kick to Buddy goal

Went back and watched the replay this morning and technically they were there but certainly outliers compared to how the rest of the game seemed to go I thought

My Buddy is NOD
We won the free kicks 24 - 19

Can you see the problem yet?

That's not it.

We lost to the second bottom team...at home, earlier this season. This is by no means our lowest point.
hahahaha I agree.

The fact people didn't see it coming when I said it 18 months ago we were heading for a cliff is hilarious.

Look at the list.
Look at the draft,
Look at the forwards.

Then, we spent 2 1st rounders on a ruckman and our next best pick on a defender.

It's insane.

Blind Freddy can see it now. It just took a while for people to start listening.

We won the free kicks 24 - 19

Can you see the problem yet?

That's not it.

I hate the argument where people point to the free-kick count. The amount of frees means little. It is when they pay them, where they pay them, what they miss, and what they are inconsistent with.

I think it is both. We don't do anything particularly constructive with the ball we win and our forward line is particularly poor at making something out of the rubbish.
Do poeple still think we are better off without Neale, Acres, Langdon, Cerra, Weller, Hogan, Lobb, Mundy, Hill, Naughton, Oscar Allen and Tucker?

Surely we can all see the problem now.

100%.

Imho the match committee dropped the ball big time by dropping Brodie so quickly. Poor decision by the club but that's not unexpected from good ol’ Freo.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

100%.

Imho the match committee dropped the ball big time by dropping Brodie so quickly. Poor decision by the club but that's not unexpected from good ol’ Freo.
Oh ffs. Will Brodie will make us a Premiership team?

My gods. I have to log off.

If we can't see the problem yet - i guess this is where I step off.

100%.

I think they had already decided the three main inside mids would be Jom, Serong and Brayshaw. Seems the opposition had other ideas.

Hindsight is a beautiful thing. After first few games it was clear that having jom, Brodie, Brayshaw, serong would not cut it. Two pairs of likes. Jom was new, so couldnt really scapegoat him, so it was Brodie. If the same setup was used would there be different outcome...maybe..but I don't think having two smalls serong and Brayshaw plus inexperienced MJ and Ras in there is any better

Oh ffs. Will Brodie will make us a Premiership team?

My gods. I have to log off.

If we can't see the problem yet - i guess this is where I step off.
No one said he’d make us a premiership side alone. But he’d contribute to one. I think there was a correlation to how we played last year and his contribution to that performance and how things have panned out this season.

But by the sounds of it you must be an oracle… so great one, what is the problem?

We underestimate what impact a fit Chapman has on Youngs game. He is a tidy kick and great mark. Teams can’t sag off him like they do to Hughes which Young and Clark use their weapons.

Hughes is a great depth player for when someone goes down.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
I was talking to both of them after the game, telling Chappy he was the ying to Youngs yang, that they really play well next to each other and we've missed Chappy so much. They laughed and agreed.

For the record Chapman unsure if he'll play AFL this season, but hopeful. Fyfe and Tabs also no line through them for the season, may get one game at the end.

I also found out that Walker's injury is not as bad as it could have been, not as bad as Jaegars was.

Ethan Stanley came on for 17 minutes and had 4 score involvements from his 5 disposals. More than 16 other guys on our team.
Why the need to compare him instead of just celebrating him?
If the guy turns out to be a special talent, that doesn't take away from the other players on the list.

What's concerning is that he was part of the problem with contested ball in the clearances.

Sydney figured out that if you play a big bodied speedy player, like Papley, on him at stoppages he doesn't get to the outside.

But Brayshaw in transition play and defensive running efforts is absolutely elite.

We need to be smarter but I don't think our younger mids are at the point of moving Andy more outside anyway.

I want to see O'Driscoll as a clean hands stoppage mid at Peel. See what he has there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back