Review Freo Their Own Worst Enemy - Rd 19 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

Sydney figured out that if you play a big bodied speedy player, like Papley, on him at stoppages he doesn't get to the outside.

But Brayshaw in transition play and defensive running efforts is absolutely elite.

We need to be smarter but I don't think our younger mids are at the point of moving Andy more outside anyway.

I want to see O'Driscoll as a clean hands stoppage mid at Peel. See what he has there.

O'Driscoll played in there when he was at Perth Seniors (5 games) in his draft year and I thought he looked good there. Also was a tackling machine with 27 tackles across his five games (ie. almost 6 tackles a game). Then we brought him into AFL and he was a pretty poor half back for a year at Peel, then came into the main side as a wingman.

O'Driscoll played in there when he was at Perth Seniors (5 games) in his draft year and I thought he looked good there. Also was a tackling machine with 27 tackles across his five games (ie. almost 6 tackles a game). Then we brought him into AFL and he was a pretty poor half back for a year at Peel, then came into the main side as a wingman.

I'd like to know just how bad his shoulder is/was. He has the size and burst speed to be something dangerous in stoppages.

It's also where he started when he came in as a sub in his first game at AFL level, went straight to the bounce and we started winning clearances. Then he kicked a heap of outside goals and got himself typecast.

His little brother is the O'Driscoll for the wing.

Sydney figured out that if you play a big bodied speedy player, like Papley, on him at stoppages he doesn't get to the outside.

But Brayshaw in transition play and defensive running efforts is absolutely elite.

We need to be smarter but I don't think our younger mids are at the point of moving Andy more outside anyway.

I want to see O'Driscoll as a clean hands stoppage mid at Peel. See what he has there.
That's fair, but it makes the Brodie thing look a little silly.
I like the idea of Noddy inside mid. He was pretty good when he went in there for Perth. He is quite explosive.

That's fair, but it makes the Brodie thing look a little silly.
I like the idea of Noddy inside mid. He was pretty good when he went in there for Perth. He is quite explosive.
I don't know that Fyfe being ineffective forward was as expected as it turned out.

Are you saying those free kicks against Freo after their couple of goals at the start of the third didn’t kill the momentum ?

My Buddy is NOD

I took a friend, first ever game of football and she commented that the umpires played a hand in a huge number of Sydney goals.

But whatever

Do poeple still think we are better off without Neale, Acres, Langdon, Cerra, Weller, Hogan, Lobb, Mundy, Hill, Naughton, Oscar Allen and Tucker?

Surely we can all see the problem now.
You can't force players to play for you. You have to give them a reason to stay.

And our Footy Dept had been terrible at making players believe this is the right place to further their careers.

Earlier in the season when our forward line wasn't functioning, I asked for Corbett to be given a run.

Well, he had his run last night and was shithaus. Was a nothing performance and don't think he adds anything, even as a back up option, to our forward line going forward.
The weird thing was a couple of posters said that Corbett improved the dockers forward line 5 minutes in to the game

You can't force players to play for you. You have to give them a reason to stay.

And our Footy Dept had been terrible at making players believe this is the right place to further their careers.
Maybe don't keep giving them reasons to leave?

If we'd offered half decent contracts to Acres and Logue they'd still be here.

No one wanted to play under Ross Lyon, but we kept him around for years after players starter walking out like they were at the Channel 7 Christmas pageant. Hell, we lost 10 000 members and still kept him for 2 more years - and in all that time we drafted 1 forward (Sam Sturt) It was a disaster waiting to happen.

I said it at the time and nobody listened.

They're listening now.

Last edited:
Who's they?
Mate, have you picked up a newspaper or turned on the radio in the last few weeks?

Just because there are still a few on here who don't see it, it doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

I swear there are people on here who are still waiting for Hitler's 7th army. Just head in the sand stuff.

It's the coach - it's Matt Taberner - it's the umpires - it's the game plan - there's no plan B....etc etc etc

Most of us saw the issue and said it at the time.

If you don't draft well and watch players leave, you're never getting anywhere. It was the first thing Brisbane and Melbourne fixed when they were crap.

For some insane reason, there are still people at the club who haven't even acknowledged the problem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good post as i think he is best as a competitor , never going to be a great kick etc but give him a one on one contest/challenge and he will thrive

Good post as i think he is best as a competitor , never going to be a great kick etc but give him a one on one contest/challenge and he will thrive

I think we can use this type of player out of the stoppage if... broken record... Treacy particularly is competitive at bringing it to ground if not marking it himself.

O'Driscoll can kick long, out of the bounce I just want him bombing it long with Jackson or Treacy preventing the intercept mark.

Then it's up to Aiden O'Driscoll to crumb

I think we can use this type of player out of the stoppage if... broken record... Treacy particularly is competitive at bringing it to ground if not marking it himself.

O'Driscoll can kick long, out of the bounce I just want him bombing it long with Jackson or Treacy preventing the intercept mark.

Then it's up to Aiden O'Driscoll to crumb
At least he would be a bigger body at the CB

I swear there are people on here who are still waiting for Hitler's 7th army. Just head in the sand stuff.
Tv Shows Wtf GIF by PBS SoCal

Were not terrible because of free kicks in 1 game.

Look at the 1st/2nd round picks over the last decade, then you'll see the issue.

I don’t think anyone is claiming Freo just lose because if free kicks you’d be mad think so.

So In your opinion have the wrong draft choices been made or have they not been developed well enough ?

My Buddy is NOD

hahahaha I agree.

The fact people didn't see it coming when I said it 18 months ago we were heading for a cliff is hilarious.

Look at the list.
Look at the draft,
Look at the forwards.

Then, we spent 2 1st rounders on a ruckman and our next best pick on a defender.

It's insane.

Blind Freddy can see it now. It just took a while for people to start listening.
well at least we got a finals win before we dropped

Maybe don't keep giving them reasons to leave?

If we'd offered half decent contracts to Acres and Logue they'd still be here.

No one wanted to play under Ross Lyon, but we kept him around for years after players starter walking out like they were at the Channel 7 Christmas pageant. Hell, we lost 10 000 members and still kept him for 2 more years - and in all that time we drafted 1 forward (Sam Sturt) It was a disaster waiting to happen.

I said it at the time and nobody listened.

They're listening now.
That's exactly the kind of points I was making. Plus, you simply have to sell hope that you are actually going somewhere.

Not some BS lie about "once all the kids have played 80 games they are going to be awesome".

But actually project hope through the coaching and development process that looks like it has some idea about what its doing.

Quite like the idea of Nod playing as a mid. Unfortunately once JL has decided your position that’s pretty much it.
Despite all the talk of Chapman moving up the ground I believe he played back for Peel on the weekend.
Young never plays further up.
Wilson never even trialed as a winger.
Banfield never given opportunities to play a run with role.
Walters never moves in for a clearance role even when we’re getting killed.
Andy out to wing sometime when he’s getting tagged. Ras as a forward.
Cox to swing forward sometimes.
Switta at more center clearances.
Nothing changes.

Quite like the idea of Nod playing as a mid. Unfortunately once JL has decided your position that’s pretty much it.
Despite all the talk of Chapman moving up the ground I believe he played back for Peel on the weekend.
Young never plays further up.
Wilson never even trialed as a winger.
Banfield never given opportunities to play a run with role.
Walters never moves in for a clearance role even when we’re getting killed.
Andy out to wing sometime when he’s getting tagged. Ras as a forward.
Cox to swing forward sometimes.
Switta at more center clearances.
Nothing changes.
Yet when JL came on he was all about playing players in their natural positions. So either he’s changed his mind or has had it changed for him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back