Review Freo Their Own Worst Enemy - Rd 19 Review

Remove this Banner Ad

12 turnovers by Serong. Jeez. Explains why we do so little with the ball we actually do win.
Bro just throws it on the boot almost every time out of a stoppage. Very annoying, especially out of a centre bounce, he usually has more time then he thinks.

Team is lacking in passion

Every time sydney kicked a goal the goal kicker would go over the top screaming in celebration, everyone would get around him etc

When our guys kicked goals for the most part they looked sheepish and like they were ashamed of something

From experience playing team sports its very irritating when an opposition get fired up in the celebrations - if nothing else it demonstrates that they really want to win

I dont think the above is a problem in and of itself, more of a symptom of some larger issue

How to fix hmmm

Team is lacking in passion

Every time sydney kicked a goal the goal kicker would go over the top screaming in celebration, everyone would get around him etc

When our guys kicked goals for the most part they looked sheepish and like they were ashamed of something

From experience playing team sports its very irritating when an opposition get fired up in the celebrations - if nothing else it demonstrates that they really want to win

I dont think the above is a problem in and of itself, more of a symptom of some larger issue

How to fix hmmm

We need a hype man. We’ve got a team of introverts. The players go into their shells and lack arrogance / confidence.

Ballantyne historically was a great hype man, Weightman for the dogs. There’s plenty around the league.

Bro just throws it on the boot almost every time out of a stoppage. Very annoying, especially out of a centre bounce, he usually has more time then he thinks.

He reminds me of early career Neale. He used to do that before tidying it up later on.

It's worse than that...most of the time he's lined up the kick...But he's winning the ball and it's moving our way...the rest of the mids don't even win the ball

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Switta is the absolute worse for this. Pisses me off to no end, like a bit of enthusiasm and some energy wouldn't go astray mate.

I took a friend, first ever game of football and she commented that the umpires played a hand in a huge number of Sydney goals.

But whatever
I am not an umpire critic.
I tend to regard them as professionals.
I admit that as a fan my focus on the play and umpiring is very one sided.
But...
my very strong feeling is that they are coached to shape games via an unacknowledged weight being put on "flow of the game" or whatever. This in contrast to a tight technical interpretation of rules style of managing the game.
As a result the fans in the stands, and probably the players too, often have no idea which way the free kick is going.
This leads to the ordinary (biased) fans feeling the umpiring is biased, unfair and corrupt.
We even start noticing the strategic timing of particular calls and the sneaky balancing of the frees at the end of the game?
Conspiracy or cockup?
My take...loose umpiring strategy leads to angry allegations of bias!

Personally, I was very confused and angry about the holding the ball decisions on Saturday.
No, thats not why we lost the game.

But...
my very strong feeling is that they are coached to shape games via an unacknowledged weight being put on "flow of the game" or whatever. This in contrast to a tight technical interpretation of rules style of managing the game.
As a result the fans in the stands, and probably the players too, often have no idea which way the free kick is going.
This leads to the ordinary (biased) fans feeling the umpiring is biased, unfair and corrupt.
We even start noticing the strategic timing of particular calls and the sneaky balancing of the frees at the end of the game?
Conspiracy or cockup?

Personally, I was very confused and angry about the holding the ball decisions on Saturday.

The holding calls were tough because I saw Amiss and Treacy and Jackson all contesting the mark one handed because they were being held but maybe they need eight umpires to see it. Unfortunately when I stop watching the game and start watching the umpires I notice them spending time watching the ball coming in and not the forwards ahead of the ball being held trying to move to contest it.

But...
Conspiracy or cockup?

Interesting post. As a rule of thumb I think generally “incompetency trumps conspiracy “ , However some things must be considered directions. A few years ago a player touched the player taking a mark and fifty metres was given, now that is forgotten and the type of sh#thousery of the Swans player gently kicking the ball away from Brayshaw after a free is ignored .
The “law of the week” where umpires suddenly crack down on a particular law is fine, except they don’t tell anyone, causing confusion and angry from everyone.
I think your point re “the flow of the game” is spot on.

The AFL self-avowedly changes the rules with a specific intent to keep the ball moving and increase scoring so it wouldn't stretch the boundaries of reason to suggest that umpires are instructed to officiate in a similar way. Unfortunately that means they can not only dictate momentum but ride it as well.

We all know what happens when everything is on song; when everything clicks - the ball bounces your way, decisions go your way.

Richmond (and Western Bulldogs) in their pomp were the classic example of contemporary quick footy and what being on the right side of momentum can do. No offence to either of these clubs, they fully deserved their recent flags, but as the best case examples of relentless forward-motion, run in packs, speed footy, you got to see a metric s**t ton of incorrect disposals, HTBs based on little more than sentiment and collective bowing to the inevitability of momentum.

Of course, you need to be winning for this to happen.

When you're trying to make this happen and you are on the other side of the whistle, it has an opposite effect which is similar in intensity.

Which is why we all seem to have turned into umpire-bashing conspiracy theorists all of a sudden. We are genuinely being drystroked by the umps. But we are allowing that to happen and we are dropping the chin when it does happen. Richond game straight after the bye - if Amiss and Treacy slotted their fair chances in the early stages of the first quarter, we would have had Richmond on the ropes and no amount of Bolton magic would have rescued them.

Same sort of story this game. Good early start. ****ed the chances.

You make your luck. You make the umpies ride your train.

I am very confident that we are not far away from being on the right side of the whistle. Every dog has its day. But it sucks tremendously large balls waiting for it to happen.

Thought Wagner looked good. His speed sets him apart from a lot of our blokes.
He's quick, and we haven't got a lot of that.
He could be a real weapon if they use him right.
Takes the game on!!
reminds me of noble when he was first drafted

Earlier in the season when our forward line wasn't functioning, I asked for Corbett to be given a run.

Well, he had his run last night and was shithaus. Was a nothing performance and don't think he adds anything, even as a back up option, to our forward line going forward.
would prefer banfield.

he genuinely kicks a goals a game. has done for 2 seasons now

Are we still talking about the umpiring as the issue at Freo?

OK Here's 1 last throw at the stumps to try and explain it. I'll use last year's off-season as the blueprint, but it's been happening for years.

What Freo knew going into last year's of season:

Defense - performed very well and had good depth. Don't * with this.

Midfield - Mundy was retiring. Needed to bring on someone like Blakely or Tucker to step into that role. Alternatively, fast-track Erasmus or Johnson. Not both though - kids get smashed at AFL level (see Gold Coast/GWS in their 1st years). Wings looked in good shape with Acres, Aish, Colyer and NOD working well.

Ruck - Do nothing. Darcy is a beast, has good support from Meek. Probably losing Lobb, but he's contracted so no need to panic. Maybe Draft 1 more to come though. Jackson was interested, but not a need.

Forwards. Struggled to function at times. Sometimes it was horrific. Was probably going to lose Lobb. Walters 30+ This was clearly the area that needed the most attention, and it wasn't even close.

Here's what they did.

Defense - Traded out Logue - Tucker and Blakely were capable of filling holed in case of injury. Made this worse.
Mids - Traded out Acres, Tucker, Blakely in addition to Mundy retiring. Brought in O'Meara. Didn't draft a mid. Made this significantly worse. So, the midfiled is now the leftovers of player unable to find other homes, and who haven't retired.
Rucks - Lost Lobb, traded out Meek. Brought in Jackson. Net loss at the trade table of 2 1st Round draft picks. Basically paid a fortune to make this worse.
Forwards - 'fixed' the forward line by bring in Corbett, who was playing 2s at Gold Coast and drafted a VFL top up player and thought 'yeah, that'll do it'.

Draft.
Needed: FORWARDS and possibly an outside mid.
What they did: Traded out 3 mids, and any hope of drafting any decent forwards for 2 years, took a defender with their next pick and then had to take a ruck because of what they did during trade period. Also draft 2 top-up players (we know top-up players get slaughtered - see West Coast).

It's not even their worst off season. Not by a long shot.

I reckon Day 1 of trade period there are 17 clubs lined up outside the Freo door and VFL hacks all writing draft applications. The clubs must laugh at us when we roll up with laptops to draft night. You don't need any intel to pick up a top-up player. Just read the VFL results in the newspapaer.

Yep - Freo are definitely their own worst enemy.

Last edited:
Are we still talking about the umpiring as the issue at Freo?

OK Here's 1 last throw at the stumps to try and explain it. I'll use last year's off-season as the blueprint, but it's been happening for years.

What Freo knew going into last year's of season:

Defense - performed very well and had good depth. Don't * with this.

Midfield - Mundy was retiring. Needed to bring on someone like Blakely or Tucker to step into that role. Altenativly, fast-track Erasmus or Johnson. Definatly not both though - kids get smashed at AFL level (see Gold Coast/GWS in thier 1st years). Wings looked in good shape with Acres, Aish and NOD working well.

Ruck - Do nothing. Darcy is a beast, has good support from Meek. Probably losing Lobb, but he's contracted so no need to panic. Maybe Draft 1 more to come though. Jackson was interested, but not a need.

Forwards. Struggled to function at times. Sometimes it was horrific. Was probably going to lose Lobb. THis was the area that needed the most attention.

Here's what they did.

Defense - Traded out Logue - Tucker and Blakely were capable of filling holed in case of injury. Made this worse.
Mids - Traded out Acres, Tucker, Blakely in addition to Mundy retiring. Brought in O'Meara. Didn't draft a mid. Made this significantly worse. So, the midfiled is now the leftovers of player unable to find other homes, and who haven't retred.
Rucks - Lost Lobb, traded out Meek. Brought in Jackson. Net loss at the trade table of 2 1st Round draft picks. Basically paid a fortune to make this worse.
Forwards - 'fixed' the forward line by bring in Corbett, who was playing 2s at Gold Coast and drafted a VFL top up player and thought 'yeah, that'll do it'.

Draft.
Needed: FORWARDS and possibly an outside mid.
What they did: Traded out 3 mids, and any hope of drafting any decent forwards for 2 years, took a defender with their next pick and then had to take a ruck because of what they did during trade period. Also draft 2 top-up players (we know top-up players get slaughtered - see West Coast).

It's not even their worst off season. Not by a long shot.

I reckon Day 1 of trade period there are 17 clubs lined up outside the Freo door and VFL hacks all writing draft applications. The clubs must laugh at us when we roll up with laptops to draft night. You don't need any intel to pick up a top-up player. Just read the VFL results in the newspapaer.

Yep - Freo are definitely their own worst enemy.
Defense was good last year, and Logue was playing forward last year. Cox and Pearce regressing is why it looks so bad. But who's to say Logue would have been any better, especially with a defense under seige most games, when his peak is much worse than the other two.

Only issue I see in terms of list management is our midfield. Getting rid of Acres for nothing, knowing Henry wanted out and that we had no replacement was the wrong move. JOM for four years still makes no sense. I get wanting experience to replace Mundy, but he's a completely differnet player.

The state of our forward line is better now than it was last year. We've scored 100+ more times this year than we did all of last year. But that doesn't matter when the midfield is getting killed every week. And we probably have more forwards on the list than any other position.

Defense was good last year, and Logue was playing forward last year. Cox and Pearce regressing is why it looks so bad. But who's to say Logue would have been any better, especially with a defense under seige most games, when his peak is much worse than the other two.

Only issue I see in terms of list management is our midfield. Getting rid of Acres for nothing, knowing Henry wanted out and that we had no replacement was the wrong move. JOM for four years still makes no sense. I get wanting experience to replace Mundy, but he's a completely differnet player.

The state of our forward line is better now than it was last year. We've scored 100+ more times this year than we did all of last year. But that doesn't matter when the midfield is getting killed every week. And we probably have more forwards on the list than any other position.
I agree - our defense if worse, our midfield is worse.

re the forward line: We are the 4th lowest scoring team in the AFL only ahead of West Coast, North and Hawks. To put that in perspective, Adelaide, who are only 2 spots ahead of us on the ladder, have kicked 51 more goals than us this season.... 51. It's insane people still think our forward line is OK. It's bottom 4 statistically, but you don't need statistics, just use your eyes; How many of our forwards would get a game at other clubs. Amiss - yes. Schultz - most... that's about it.

Here is the list of forwards Freo have drafted in the 1st and 2nd Rounds over the past 15 years.

Apeness
Sturt
Amiss

that's it.

Until this is fixed, Freo are going nowhere.

I agree - our defense if worse, our midfield is worse.

re the forward line: We are the 4th lowest scoring team in the AFL only ahead of West Coast, North and Hawks. To put that in perspective, Adelaide, who are only 2 spots ahead of us on the ladder, have kicked 51 more goals than us this season.... 51. It's insane people still think our forward line is OK. It's bottom 4 statistically, but you don't need statistics, just use your eyes; How many of our forwards would get a game at other clubs. Amiss - yes. Schultz - most... that's about it.

Here is the list of forwards Freo have drafted in the 1st and 2nd Rounds over the past 15 years.

Apeness
Sturt
Amiss

that's it.

Until this is fixed, Freo are going nowhere.
our forward line isn’t what’s losing us games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back