Preview Freo V Collingwood - Preseason Game 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes. I'm not concerned about effort etc because of heat, training...whatever...and effort is easliy addressed.
What I want is some indication about an improvement in method and style. That players know where to run, how to move the ball from a stoppage, how to block up space and slow the opposition down.

But there could be some room to move.

Does Logue/Ryan/Hughes take Ibbotson or Sutcliffe's spot.
Does Apeness, MCarthy and Kersten become the back bone of the forward line supplemented with Ballantyne, Walters and Langdon?

I'd like Tucker, Weller, Blakely, Langdon to play games before Suban and Danyle.

I dont think any one has Suban or Pearce in their 22. Tucker, Weller, Blakely ,Langdon will play all games and Logue some. With Kersten, Cam, Hill and Hamling coming in it will be a completely new look side and will take time to gel. I can't follow some saying we are going with same side. It is a rebuild .

I can see Logue, Cox and Neale coming in this week.
Why would we play Sandi when he is still in rehab group ? I tip more ground time for big Darcy.

Unfortunately big Darcy will go out with Sandi playing a half (if he trains fully this week) and big Griff playing the other half. I agree with you but we know its not going to happen!!

Hoping Hughes, Collins and Balic are considered in place of the Suban's and Ibbos. Don't see any 'room' for a big Cox with us trying to get some time into our other big forwards unfortunately.

Taberner lives on thin ice but some on this board think he can walk on water.

Sheridan, Crozier & Sutcliffe are in make or break years. Sheridan showed some promise as a tagged and has had plenty of chances, Crozier also, Sutcliffe seems to be the EXACT spot same player he was in 2013 as he is now, a good runner, solid etc but he should've come on more imo.

Tabs has had a couple of good games in his career and a few other good moments here and there. We don't have many options but he's just not going to make it as the player we need.

Ape - Cam - Kersten - Walters - Ballaz - Bennell isn't an awful fwd line but still isn't going to win us many shoot outs. Ape - Cam- Bennell also have various issues with their body, 6 games or so played between them at AFL level last year.

Best case for us is back in Ross, get Fyfe signed, get Harley right, get games into Darcy, Blakely, Weller, Tucker, Logue, and whoever we draft but expect us to be bottom 6 at least this year and maybe next.

I hope I'm wrong but we have too many list cloggers - Suban, Sutcliffe, Danyle plus a few older guys who may not be around in 2019-2020 in Spurr, Griff, Sandi, Zac d, Zac C (crippled) Mundy, Ibbo - not all lost cloggers but my point is they're not the future.

Or maybe I'm just overreacting and we're going to be top 4 this year.

This is pretty much it - with the list-cloggers ideology it's just damned unfair to put up any names yet until we're a month or two into the regular season; as we're going purely based on last-year's form. It's no joke though that 6-10 players need to have vastly improved year's to have any true chance of being at the club next year.

Worst-case scenario is though that after our massive clean out last season, we could be looking at something similar by the end of this year. That would make Ross's 4-year rebuild prediction quite modest.

Guess we'll have to wait and see.

Sorry, I'm not prepared to wait, I find it much more satisfying making a snap judgement based on a practice match and whining for the next week ;)
Maybe pick sutty ,ibbo, suban and d.Pearce again. If they still play poorly delisted them after the match vs collingwood , too bad we are not essendon can get top up player.:D

Unfortunately big Darcy will go out with Sandi playing a half (if he trains fully this week) and big Griff playing the other half. I agree with you but we know its not going to happen!!

Hoping Hughes, Collins and Balic are considered in place of the Suban's and Ibbos. Don't see any 'room' for a big Cox with us trying to get some time into our other big forwards unfortunately.
Sandilands and Neale are professionals, don't see the point in playing them in the next game.
We also already know what Griffen, Suban, D Pearce, Ibbo, Sherro, Sutcliffe bring to the table.
Logue, Cox are already physically bigger, more versatile, can play forward or back, the young guys
need games now, not later and thrown to the wolves.

I just want to see fresh face to replace d.pearce , suban , sutty ,ibbo and sheriden in this match. As balic , deluca, grey will be turning up for peel vs west Perth durijg freo vs Carlton week.

Not stressed at the moment about the first pre-season game result, but still, do you think we could get Barlow back from GC to slot into our midfield. Not at all happy about giving him up, for nothing, when there are still a bunch of ageing potatoes on our list, only for him to have a 30+ game out of the middle for GC coming back from injury. That's a Freo fail in my book (amongst a couple of others ;)).

Not stressed at the moment about the first pre-season game result, but still, do you think we could get Barlow back from GC to slot into our midfield. Not at all happy about giving him up, for nothing, when there are still a bunch of ageing potatoes on our list, only for him to have a 30+ game out of the middle for GC coming back from injury. That's a Freo fail in my book (amongst a couple of others ;)).

If our next tilt at a flag is 3 seasons away Barlow would not have been a part of it. Best to get games into the troops who will be coming into their prime at that time. Blakely,Weller etc.

What if freo let go / keep the wrong players Barlow ,deboer . sheriden , sutty,ibbo, suban .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If our next tilt at a flag is 3 seasons away Barlow would not have been a part of it. Best to get games into the troops who will be coming into their prime at that time. Blakely,Weller etc.

Agreed.

Quite a few promising kids to get games into and letting go of Barlow was the right decision if.... if we use the vacant spot in our best 22 wisely.

Will be very disappointed if the likes of D Pearce and Subes get more gametime than the likes of Balic, Tucker, Langdon, Weller, Blakely, Deluca, Grey etc.

What if freo let go / keep the wrong players Barlow ,deboer . sheriden , sutty,ibbo, suban .

Barlow and De Boer were out of contract. The others were contracted. Hard to delist with a contract. Sheridan and Sutcliffe weren't going anywhere. They are both required players. Why the hate for Sheridan and Sutcliffe. Sutcliffe was one of our best Saturday and Sheridan is coming into his prime.

Agreed.

Quite a few promising kids to get games into and letting go of Barlow was the right decision if.... if we use the vacant spot in our best 22 wisely.

Will be very disappointed if the likes of D Pearce and Subes get more gametime than the likes of Balic, Tucker, Langdon, Weller, Blakely, Deluca, Grey etc.
With 39 main squad and Yarran gone freo actually can upgrade two players .

Barlow and De Boer were out of contract. The others were contracted. Hard to delist with a contract. Sheridan and Sutcliffe weren't going anywhere. They are both required players. Why the hate for Sheridan and Sutcliffe. Sutcliffe was one of our best Saturday and Sheridan is coming into his prime.
Is not hate, if you look at the players playing on Saturday , fyfe and johnson out for a year yet still perform better than sheriden and sutty. These two not playing much for peel last year compare to Langdon and blakely. Maybe sending them to peel for a longer period will wake them up and become better players .

* not sure the Walters treatment will work but got to try right .

Last edited:
Is not hate, if you look at the players playing on Saturday , fyfe and johnson out for a year yet still perform better than sheriden and sutty. These two not playing much for peel last year compare to Langdon and blakely. Maybe sending them to peel for a longer period will wake them up and become better players .

* not sure the Walters treatment will work but got to try right .

Sutcliffe was our best defender. Turn on the TV and have a watch . Fyfe can't be compared to any one on our list or any other list. He is a freak athlete.

Sutcliffe was our best defender. Turn on the TV and have a watch . Fyfe can't be compared to any one on our list or any other list. He is a freak athlete.
Sutty is our best defender , definitely show by the trashing score by eagles.:cool:

Last edited:
Read what was posted , Sutcliffe was our best defender on Saturday. Where did it say he was the best defender in the club. Your opinions are formed by what is posted not by watching the game.
I did watch the game on my mobile don't know what you talking about. I disagree with you that he is one of the better defender in the side vs eagles . who is he taking on , I know hamling taking eagles JK .

9 disposal , 5 mark and 4 tackle . I don't know how you can said he is one of the better defender in a poor team effort

Last edited:

Again... let sandi rest and bring strnadica in. Griffin should play a half of footy, Darcy play 1 quarter, strnadica play one quarter as well.

do you then consider that Pearced should spend all year at Peel as a back up emergency for the young'uns should they get injured? He is over 30 after all and won't be part of Freo's next tilt at a flag in 3 or so years.

I'm all for giving basically anyone on the senior list a go. There's a fair chance they play this year even if I think there's a couple there that are first year players and unlikely to play unless injuries strike. But there is almost zero chance Strnadica plays a game this year. Getting into the Peel side consistently would honestly be a realistic aim for him. With other four ruckman (Sandilands, Griffin, Clarke, Darcy) and five KPFs (McCarthy, Kersten, Taberner, Apeness, Cox) they'd need to be injuries for him to get into the side in the first place. ATM it'd be four in the best 22, four at Peel, Clarke injured, Strandica in the reserves. That's if Uebergang once he's fit plays defence as well. Zero point giving Strnadica a go this pre season. He's years away if he ever makes it. That's not negative either, it's just fact.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back