theGav56

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 11, 2004
Bali
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Fremantle
No rest for the wicked. We are in need of a statement, and that statement needs to take the form of an away win. Yes it ain't easy, but it is what we need.

This round we are up against a side that has taken the reverse path in their rebuild. We have built from defence pumping some prodigious talent into our backline via some valuable high draft picks; the Crows have prioritised their forward half.

Amongst their excitement machines Rankine, Rachelle, Thilthorpe and Fogarty are a balanced and dangerous group, and individually have the power to inflict carnage. Fogarty may be missing and that is no small benefit to Fremantle, however the Crows still have depth to cover if he does.

Fremantle do have plausible match ups for the Crows forwards, but so far this season we have looked a little clunky in defence. The game plan has had a touch of schizophrenia about it with some uncertainty about whether the ball should be transferred slowly sideways, and then back again, or zoomed forward. Many fans have a different answer to that dilemma than the coach, and the players seem to be caught in two minds by the whisperings in the ears.

In contrast, Nicks appears to have his team singing from the same song book. He is unleashing some forward half mayhem. Longmuir seems to be constraining the talent he has in his backline arsenal.

It is a tough game for Fremantle. An away game at a venue we don't perform well. A hostile crowd. It should be a great contest, and I'm tipping some fireworks.

Go Dockers. Brayshaw BOG. Walters another 4 goals. 9 point margin. 4 points in the bag.

Don't know much about this Adelaide side. I could be wrong but I think the only times they were broadcast on free-to-air TV last year in WA are when they played us once and West Coast twice.

Think Andy is due for a BOG game, so on that basis I'm picking us.

Got a feeling this’ll be the one game a year where we’re all singing Tabs praises n talking All Australian (squad) jacket - only for him to do something completely Taberner like / Dockery the week after !!
He really started to stick a few one grab marks last week, load up on him for 4 or 5 I say (If that’s yr thing).

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It sucks feeling like each week could be the end of our season, we either square the ledger or go 1-3 with the hard games to come

Crows at Adelaide oval are no joke, will be close if we show up

After a 37 disposal game in the wafl brodie should have been in this game. Get the 22 right.
I watched the WAFL game yesterday - don't let the stats deceive you; yes he was close to best on ground in some respects, but Brodie has a lot to work on from a defensive perspective. Adelaide (and other teams) have floored us with speed around the centre clearances, and based on yesterday's game he would be a liability out defensively there atm; even East Freo were able to make use of his slowish speed and ineffective tackles.

I watched the WAFL game yesterday - don't let the stats deceive you; yes he was close to best on ground in some respects, but Brodie has a lot to work on from a defensive perspective. Adelaide (and other teams) have floored us with speed around the centre clearances, and based on yesterday's game he would be a liability out defensively there atm; even East Freo were able to make use of his slowish speed and ineffective tackles.
So guys like Hughes,Henry are better than a clearance machine that racks up these numbers lol 😂

Henry made critical errors against west coast. Kicked it to them on multiple occasions and yet is in line to play this weekend.people that don’t agree go back and look at the tape.Hughes has been played out of position on a wing and done terrible and then when Chapman goes down he goes back into defense and does half decent where he belongs as a defender. Now walker is in line to come in and we put Hughes possibly back on a wing out of position again.Where as arguably are best clearance player from last year gets dropped after the team has two/three embarrassing performances as a whole and we struggled in the middle against west coast down to basically nobody on the bench. Adelaide are going to be better than westcoast and we dont have a top of the line player in Brodie. I just don’t get it. In saying that I hope we win and I am proved wrong and the midfield does the job

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ten seconds to go, we'll be leading by a point, Adelaide has a shot and Brandon Walker on the goalline refuses the easy option of a rushed behind, punches it clear and off we trot with the four points.
I'll take it. Genuine 50-50 game

Wont be an easy win, but I think we can do it :)
Saw glimpses in the first half last weekend of how we should play. Hopefully we see more of that. Would much rather we go down fighting and taking the game on than watching a boring stalemate.
Could jump into the 8 with a victory.
We all have our favorites and we all have players we are not so keen on, but when they pull that jumper on for us, I am behind everyone one of them 100%.

So guys like Hughes,Henry are better than a clearance machine that racks up these numbers lol 😂
I think the thing that you are missing is that Hughes and Henry did rack up numbers in categories that count for their position namely km run (hence holding defensive position), average speed, time on field and defensive attributes such as effective tackles. That will be the measures well understood internal to the club including the players.

At the end of the day the wingers in O'Driscoll, Hughes and Henry got 12, 12 and 11 possessions each respectively and we scored over 100 points and won the game. They also all had over 80% game time. No one is defending the poor decision making with ball in hand - they need to be better at that, but the primary objectives were met.

Brodie's role is different; he plays minimal game time but the expectation is that in that game time he gains the ball but also defends fast breaks out from the centre - that is where we lost the first two games and where we could have lost the Eagles game as well. He didn't do that in the first two games and quite frankly he was fairly weak in terms of his defensive efforts also in yesterday's WAFL game as well.

Need Tabs to capitalise on their mediocre defence today if we're any chance. Did some half-decent things last week - mostly outside the F50 - but ultimately 1 goal in 3 games isn't good enough for our premier KPF, needs to hit the scoreboard in a big way. Freo to win a shootout 110-100.

What is a pass mark for Henry, Taberner, Banfield?

For me

Henry needs to show awareness, and good skills. As an outside mid if you don't do that, you need to be dropped.

Tabs. Provide a contest. Kick 1 goal.

Banfield. Provide pressure, a contest and kick 1.

Can't see us winning
You might be right that we lose but really, you can’t see us winning? Adelaide lost to GWS, they are 1-2 like us and we have a good record over them. They aren’t that good, we aren’t playing Collingwood at the G…

It’s never as bad or good as it seems

Last edited:
You might be right that we lose but really, you can’t see us winning? Adelaide lost at home GWS, they are 1-2 like us and we have a good record over them. They aren’t that good, we aren’t playing Collingwood at the G…

That game was played in Blacktown fyi

You might be right that we lose but really, you can’t see us winning? Adelaide lost at home GWS, they are 1-2 like us and we have a good record over them. They aren’t that good, we aren’t playing Collingwood at the G…

The ghost of RTB lives on...

We need to limit Dawson, Rachele and Rankin.

All three are super damaging. Dawson is the type of player we need.

If we can win the midfield battle, we should win. If they get on top, and get the ball to the outside we can lose by 5 goals

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back