Game Day Freo v Pies

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dawson was awesome today. Don't care about stats. Playing him in lock down role on Moore freed up Hamling and Johno to run off their man. We are a significantly better team with him in it. Not a popular opinion, but geez anyone notice how many time Hamling ran off his man compared to a week ago when he played on Kennedy?

Another unpopular opinion. When Alex Pearce returns he should play as a forward. By far our biggest weakness is a lack of forwards who can gain separation from a defender. Alex Pearce has all the physical attributes to be that player.
Not the Alex Pearce forward business again. We have many more options then last season and should persist with Kersten/Apeness/Tabs. Pearce is a natural defender, end of story.

43jIsA8.png

Not the Alex Pearce forward business again. We have many more options then last season and should persist with Kersten/Apeness/Tabs. Pearce is a natural defender, end of story.
He was very much a natural forward in his last year as a junior. We are pretty right for defenders this year, but unless Tabs/Apenees or Kersten can improve we desperately, desperately need a forward who competes in the air.

The wind spiking in the Pies favour in the last was a interest factor. That said the heat would also have been a bigger shock to them than us.

Is anybody a little concerned that if we go in with a McCarthy/Kersten/Griffin Forward line our tactics shown today might not play into their strengths?
I think we made an obvious effort to kick the ball in quicker - which is a strong move, however there were plenty of times throughout the game when I would've expected to see at least McCarthy making genuine leads at the ball, rather than waiting for that longer kick. At the least when he's ignored he'll draw attention and should move a few defenders away from the hot spot making that kick more effective.
Another thing was that a lot of our kicks from centre clearances sempt to be intercepted, I understand most these clearances are contested but it's a little concerning that the defenders seem to have a better idea of where the ball will end up than our forwards.

I'm hoping both these things will fix over time as the new forward line begins to gel and understand there roles, I just cant help but wonder if relying on the resting ruck being a focal point for long bombs into the 50 is too optimistic and how well this tactic would go against a side with stronger intercept markers (ie. West Coast with Barrass/Mcgovern)

PS - If Sandi plays forward for 30-40% of the game I see the long ball to the hot-spot being more effective, but also a strange tactic for a side supposed to be in rebuild mode.

Looks like Mayne's biggest contribution was in the free kicks department. Never got those playing in purple so the club change is paying off for him

So glad to get rid of him.

Now to drop Ballas to the bench because he is another waste of space.

I wouldn't be jumping at shadows re. our fwd line "strategy" today. It's still very much a work in progress. Difference this year is that we have options.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF is wrong with you? I've been agreeing with you all day :p
I agreed with your other points though . We need A. Pearce more at defence as Ibbo is just crap these days. He would be the one to replace and keeping Dawson as lock down defender.

Is anybody a little concerned that if we go in with a McCarthy/Kersten/Griffin Forward line our tactics shown today might not play into their strengths?
I think we made an obvious effort to kick the ball in quicker - which is a strong move, however there were plenty of times throughout the game when I would've expected to see at least McCarthy making genuine leads at the ball, rather than waiting for that longer kick. At the least when he's ignored he'll draw attention and should move a few defenders away from the hot spot making that kick more effective.
Another thing was that a lot of our kicks from centre clearances sempt to be intercepted, I understand most these clearances are contested but it's a little concerning that the defenders seem to have a better idea of where the ball will end up than our forwards.

I'm hoping both these things will fix over time as the new forward line begins to gel and understand there roles, I just cant help but wonder if relying on the resting ruck being a focal point for long bombs into the 50 is too optimistic and how well this tactic would go against a side with stronger intercept markers (ie. West Coast with Barrass/Mcgovern)

PS - If Sandi plays forward for 30-40% of the game I see the long ball to the hot-spot being more effective, but also a strange tactic for a side supposed to be in rebuild mode.
Taberner is a better Half forward, IMO. If we re going to really use the midfield's kicking Tabs is far better leading up the wing instead. That then allows McCarthy have the 2nd defender in 50 with Sandi/Griff loose. Brings the top defender away from them or give Tabs free marks.

Does indeed strike up some interesting questions relating to forward/ruck combinations - ie Sandi, Griffin or Apeness used forward for more than half the game. Never shall all 3 play in the same team however.

I agreed with your other points though . We need A. Pearce more at defence as Ibbo is just crap these days. He would be the one to replace and keeping Dawson as lock down defender.

Taberner is a better Half forward, IMO. If we re going to really use the midfield's kicking Tabs is far better leading up the wing instead. That then allows McCarthy have the 2nd defender in 50 with Sandi/Griff loose. Brings the top defender away from them or give Tabs free marks.
Tabs needs to try harder. Also his marking is a liability. He's got a bit of Zac Clarke about him I he won't do the most he can when the ball is there to be contested, happy to cruise around in 2nd gear. I think he'll get there but he's not there yet.

Absolutely.

Pearce A will be 10 times the player Dawson ever was. I have high hopes fro him as a defender.....enough that he may even rival McPharlin in time...and yes thats a big call.

Tabs needs to be played regularly, not in and out every week

Absolutely.

Pearce A will be 10 times the player Dawson ever was. I have high hopes fro him as a defender.....enough that he may even rival McPharlin in time...and yes thats a big call.

Tabs needs to be played regularly, not in and out every week
Right now though, Dawson is there structure wise and enables Johnson, Hamling to peel off their man. Ibbotson hasn't been doing his job as spare defender and right now isn't better then Dawson as an out and out defender.

Exactly righ with Tabs. Just damn play him and give him the license to play his role. He did well when given a chance last season, given the team were near last. Better delivery off the Hills, with Bennell to come will only mean positives for him. He has to battle with inept deliveries and barely any time I50, as demonstrated with the first half last week.

What's the rule on the countdown clock for shots after the siren? Ed took much longer than the allowed 30 seconds. Technically should the game have ended in a Collingwood win because he should have been called to play on after 30 seconds.

I wasn't at the game so Ill have no problems with any corrections from anyone who was:
It seemed Blakely played predominately half forward and Tucker predominately defence with Brad Hill and Mundy spending time half forward when not midfield. Is that right? All four of this moves are new.

I though ballas got a great game good pressure without the ball , score or assists with the ball .nonsense to questions ballas .

What's the rule on the countdown clock for shots after the siren? Ed took much longer than the allowed 30 seconds. Technically should the game have ended in a Collingwood win because he should have been called to play on after 30 seconds.
I think after the siren you can take as long as you like..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back