Roast Freo vs Not to be trusted

Remove this Banner Ad

What on earth could he have done to better protect himself? Worn a motorcycle helmet maybe?

Expected to get slammed well over the boundary line and shot his left arm out like an airbag, which he promptly would've landed on and probably broken it.

As Jack Riewoldt noted on 360 tonight, 'he was perilously close to the AstroTurf strip and had he impacted there who knows what we'd be dealing with'.

I can't help but see Primus' game plan in our current game plan. His infamous coaches corner video that was like "Sydney do this where they kick it to the boundary to force a throw in and so we want to do that too."

It's exactly what we do. Through arrogance in the belief that our midfield will get the job done at throw ins and stoppages because hinkleybassball.

It's boring, it's garbage and it's resulting in a team with a s**t percentage. We're not going to beat anyone when the heat is on.

I can't help but see Primus' game plan in our current game plan. His infamous coaches corner video that was like "Sydney do this where they kick it to the boundary to force a throw in and so we want to do that too."

It's exactly what we do. Through arrogance in the belief that our midfield will get the job done at throw ins and stoppages because hinkleybassball.

It's boring, it's garbage and it's resulting in a team with a s**t percentage. We're not going to beat anyone when the heat is on.
except Melbourne Richmond and Adelaide.

except Melbourne Richmond and Adelaide.

Richmond haven't won away all year, Adelaide (just) are garbage and Melbourne (just) are thereabouts. They looked impressive at the time, not so much with hindsight.

Bizarrely, even Sydney suck at home this year.

Expected to get slammed well over the boundary line and shot his left arm out like an airbag, which he promptly would've landed on and probably broken it.

The only thing the person being tackled can do is brace for impact. Stiffening the body in an attempt to keep the head off the ground and getting the shoulder below the body is what I was taught in judo as the way to land with your arms pinned or when falling on a hard surface. It's not difficult once taught, it's a pretty instinctive move. Maybe this should be taught to all AFL players.
This way of falling does have practical applications away from a judo mat. I once fell about 6 feet onto my drive, stiffened my body and fell on my shoulder and walked away with a minor bruise.

Yes, you're right, the arm would likely break if you used it in this case. The shoulder would be a lot less likely to break as the bones are much smaller and the force would distribute itself over the whole bone. Dislocation could occur(although the chance would be small) but that would be a whole lot better than a possible severe concussion.

Last edited:
The simple thing is Nyhuis did everything everyone with an ounce of common sense knows you shouldn't do in a tackle. Didn't Kreuzer get a game for pulling a guy down in a tackle who basically tripped over him and bumped his head?

What Nyhuis did is basically cowardly because everyone knows you shouldn't do it, players don't have the instinct anymore to react to that sort of tackle.

3 days later i can bring myself to comment on this game - the worst game in AFL history.

For those Power supporters who write it off as a bad week after 5 consecutive wins, i am afraid you are missing the obvious problem this team has in scoring, and adapting to anything thrown at them defensively by the opposition. This loss is the essence of why Port cannot go all the way, and why it may not even make the 8. The 11-4 record going into this game was flattering.

Imagine the following scenario. Port win a stoppage or contested footy and break it out into the clear, about 80 m out from goal. A midfielder has it (pick any one) and has space in front of him - maybe 2 attackers (pick any 2) and 2 defenders, and space space space. What should the conversion rate be from this scenario? It's a great place to be, and i think it ought to be pushing 50%. But Port don't know how to play this. The forwards lead forward away from the ball. The forwards and ball carrier have only one option in mind - the long deep kick over the back, contested mark, or spoil leading to a crumb and run in goal. It's the glam, Hollywood option. But most times the entire opposition, midfield and defenders, run deep to cover the long option and break it down, and another gilt edge opportunity turns into nothing. This teams generates enough quality outside ball to bury teams, but don't.

So Port are great, just a few issues with how to play...football. I want the forwards to be feigning the deep lead, but then cutting back into space - taking a mark, and picking apart the opposition. Nailing set shots from 40-50? Is anyone even thinking of this?

I have read the entire thread. Everyone is down on Amon, and rightly so, but I thought Thomas stunk it up worse. Every time he touched the ball his options and execution were so bad the entire Port midfield had a 100 m chase to defence. Talk about giving an out of form team (Freo) a boost!

So Port are great, just a few issues with how to play...football. I want the forwards to be feigning the deep lead, but then cutting back into space - taking a mark, and picking apart the opposition. Nailing set shots from 40-50? Is anyone even thinking of this?
"You weren't complaining when we won 5 in a row" - Forwards coach Brendon Lade.

What on earth could he have done to better protect himself? Worn a motorcycle helmet maybe?

Nyhuis's sling tackle had `C ' grade s**t kicker wanting to make a f****** name for himself by taking out an elite opponent written all it, and one day one of those head hunter Neanderthal cnuts will hurt someone very badly, so let's hope it doesn't take an extremely serious injury to a player before the afl finally gets the message! :(

Remove this Banner Ad

Back