Preview Freo VS Port - Round 1 (team post #467 page 19)

Remove this Banner Ad

Maybe Clancee to run with Boak and Duffield & Suttcliffe to take Gray & Wingard?

From memory he got a supergoal to keep us in touch with Sydney and a couple against WC

Supergoal from a 50 IIRC and anything he did against West Coast is irrelevant given he was matched up on Sharrod Wellingham at times and they had to play Elliot Yeo on Pav. He just isn't a forward, Sandi is going to need some lengthy stints up forward on Sunday to ensure we can at least bring the ball to ground often enough for the smalls to do their thing.

I'd play Blakely, so Mundy can go back if needed.

I'd play Sheridan over Danyle Pearce and have Connor as the sub but that won't happen. I think either way Sherro deserves to be in the side though and will be pretty disappointed if they go with a less than 100% Duffield over him.

Port look good, but will have players underdone, same as us... Game will be on. Literally will be the fittest team wins. A cloudy 31 for Sunday, but will be cool by game time

I'd play Sheridan over Danyle Pearce and have Connor as the sub but that won't happen. I think either way Sherro deserves to be in the side though and will be pretty disappointed if they go with a less than 100% Duffield over him.
Sherro is a bit like Clarke, you give him a chance and he usually disappoints. hopefully this year it changes. I just thought having Blakely as a clearence player if we need Mundy to go down back as a tall might be a safer option, but it is a big ask for the kid.

Supergoal from a 50 IIRC and anything he did against West Coast is irrelevant given he was matched up on Sharrod Wellingham at times and they had to play Elliot Yeo on Pav. He just isn't a forward, Sandi is going to need some lengthy stints up forward on Sunday to ensure we can at least bring the ball to ground often enough for the smalls to do their thing.
He played fwd last year on weaker defenses/better conditions with less impact. He has height and has showed some mobility and accuracy this year. Port won't think that's irrelevant

I would love it if Port played Butcher. Our defence is so good at only giving up tough shots at goal- very wide or quite far out - rarely in the corridor or from close range. He may stretch our defence, but would likely kick 0.3 from 8 set shots.

Sherro is a bit like Clarke, you give him a chance and he usually disappoints. hopefully this year it changes. I just thought having Blakely as a clearence player if we need Mundy to go down back as a tall might be a safer option, but it is a big ask for the kid.

Sherro never really got a run of games to show what he can do. It's a bit hard to make the transition from WAFL to AFL playing a game here and there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sherro never really got a run of games to show what he can do. It's a bit hard to make the transition from WAFL to AFL playing a game here and there.
True but he does find it hard to get involved at the next level. I really like him as a player but he needs to have more of an impact. He gets 3 weeks at a stretch usually but does very little with it. His last game was excellent (the two before he did very little iirc)but I'm finding it hard to be swayed by one performance. Would love him to prove me wrong.

Tabs is still not too bad, we get to keep both Mayne and Crozier in the forward line.

Dawson and Silvagni is going to be painful.
It might be an idea to ignore Pav this week if he gets double teamed and let the others do most of the scoring.
Silvagni usually give Buddy a hiding. Lets hope he's ready by round 4.

Last edited:

Agree with that. I think Duffield is the obvious one to miss.
Observers were saying his first half for Peel last week was terrible.

True but he does find it hard to get involved at the next level. I really like him as a player but he needs to have more of an impact. He gets 3 weeks at a stretch usually but does very little with it. His last game was excellent (the two before he did very little iirc)but I'm finding it hard to be swayed by one performance. Would love him to prove me wrong.
Still hasnt found a spot in the team, either midfield or forward. But half back flanker may be perfect with his height,
pace, and you can see him putting the heat on Duffield.
A project player when drafted, and was always going to take time, adding size, weight to a skinny frame.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back