Freo Whipping boys of yesteryears?

Remove this Banner Ad

Croad? Tarrant?

Agree with others with D Pearce copping an unrelenting whipping for his whole time in purple. Suban on the podium too.

Sheridan and Sutcliffe in the more recent time too.

Currently, Pearce leads the whip for this season.

Went to school with him. Ripping bloke, retired from footy due to prolonged concussion symptoms.
Yeah I remember him having a bad bout of it in 2009-10. Remember someone doing a WAFL report in him after he came back from a head knock saying he looked completely lost. This was well before CTE made the news. Hope he’s doing ok now.

One hill I used to die on was defending zac dawson. I thought he was a decent enough key defender, and a much more consistent defender then silvagni, despite being less aesthetically appealing.
No
He was bad
A footballer who can’t kick is not a footballer

James Walker copped a bit on his way to 151 games and life membership.

The noughties ‘Dumb-Arse Brigade’ were regularly dumped on as a whole group. Gilmore, Dodd, Peake, Scotty-too-Hotty for a while before he entered cult status from his mad runs straight down the corridor before botching the kick inside 50 hehe. And the time he beat Chris Masten to a ground ball on the wing at Subi gave him some credits too. But there were about 6 members of the DAB, can’t recall the others right now.
What about Suban, wasn't he once one of IP's "love children" ;)

There's a very good reason Out: Pearce is a meme on here (although Clancee was very hard done by in that particular era IMO).

Pre-trade Polak (when Cuddles attempted to turn him into a ruckman) also copped a bit of grief.

I (and more than a few others) are guilty of saying some deeply uncharitable stuff towards Shauny Mac back in the day.

This thread brings back memories (get it?)

Real trip down memory lane though.

Thornton is one I want to mention. He used to always cop it did old mate Scotty.
'Dancing Legs' was a bit of a favourite around where we use to sit.

I remember being involved in a conversation at Black Toms in Subi after one game with a large group discussing if Dan Parker was the worst player to ever play AFL. In the end we all agreed that someone would one day be worse, likening it to Bannister breaking the 4-minute mile. As unbelievable as it seems at the time, some ceilings are meant to be broken. One of the funniest things I'd heard. He copped a heap.

James Walker copped a bit on his way to 151 games and life membership.

The noughties ‘Dumb-Arse Brigade’ were regularly dumped on as a whole group. Gilmore, Dodd, Peake, Scotty-too-Hotty for a while before he entered cult status from his mad runs straight down the corridor before botching the kick inside 50 hehe. And the time he beat Chris Masten to a ground ball on the wing at Subi gave him some credits too. But there were about 6 members of the DAB, can’t recall the others right now.
Goddamn Gilmore and Dodd along with Schammer really copped the internet venom when it was still in it's unrefined, alpha variant. Walker was a bit of a whipping boy in those early days but by the time Gilmore and Dodd were semi-permanent selections people had jumped on to this forum (and that other one) to really give it genuine memetic momentum to make it truly brutal.

Mind you, neither of them nor D. Pearce or B.Banfield could really ever compete with the true king of our Whipping Boys: "Cuddles" Connelly (he may o̶r̶ ̶m̶a̶y̶ ̶n̶o̶t̶ ̶ deserve this)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a very good reason Out: Pearce is a meme on here (although Clancee was very hard done by in that particular era IMO).

Pre-trade Polak (when Cuddles attempted to turn him into a ruckman) also copped a bit of grief.

I (and more than a few others) are guilty of saying some deeply uncharitable stuff towards Shauny Mac back in the day.
Polak was more a grievance of wasted potential. At the time we all knew why it was being wasted but because he was still coaching us we tried to justify to ourselves that "it was just that he couldn't completely make the jump to the next level" despite being developed out of position to plug some holes to avoid some short term pain. There was bitching but kind of a shared, unspoken acknowledgement as to why. Few fully jumped in boots and all in the same way Gilmore, Dodd, Peake or Pearce really copped.

Shauny Mac, yeah, I share that one. Any ill-feeling I had to him back in the day kinda makes me shake my head but I was far from alone. The dude bleeds purple.

Not sure whether Tom Sheridan was a whipping boy when he was at Freo , but some of his guests on his podcasts are worth a listen to.

Latest guest he has is Michael Barlow. They share a few Freo stories which might be of interest. Worth a listen

From the early days, Ridley, Norrish and Dan Parker. Quenton Leach also copped a lot of angst, poor guy.

Slightly more recently, poor Brad Dodd copped more funny punch jokes than anyone until Dodd #2 (Brad's cuz cuz Steven) came along to take over the punching bag jokes. Both will be forever grateful that Rossco Lyon recruited the great Zac Dawson to finally take over the title of Fremantle Fist of Futility...

Ryley Dunn generated never ending angst largely as an early promising pick that just never came good, but without being able to point to the injuries that Happy Gilmore could as a reason for not flourishing.

Jack Anthony and Chris Tarrant both copped heat hard, though Tarrant finally got respect towards the end when Chris Scott turned him into a decent backman. Jack just became ever more fodder for Potato Head memes.

Robbie Warnock and Jeff White both got whipped pretty hard, but really only once they decided to jump ship, which is probably more of a "traitor flog" category than a true whipping boy.

The most universally pilloried Freo player I've ever seen though has to be Col Sylvia, the poor fella showed up on a big wage with big hopes but a big beer gut - and everything was downhill fast from there. Was actually really sad to watch in the end, especially with what happened after he finished up in AFL.

Where does Kingsley Hunter sit among the pantheon of Fremantle whipping boys?

Screenshot_20230606_171823_Edge.jpg

From the early days, Ridley, Norrish and Dan Parker. Quenton Leach also copped a lot of angst, poor guy.

Slightly more recently, poor Brad Dodd copped more funny punch jokes than anyone until Dodd #2 (Brad's cuz cuz Steven) came along to take over the punching bag jokes. Both will be forever grateful that Rossco Lyon recruited the great Zac Dawson to finally take over the title of Fremantle Fist of Futility...

Ryley Dunn generated never ending angst largely as an early promising pick that just never came good, but without being able to point to the injuries that Happy Gilmore could as a reason for not flourishing.

Jack Anthony and Chris Tarrant both copped heat hard, though Tarrant finally got respect towards the end when Chris Scott turned him into a decent backman. Jack just became ever more fodder for Potato Head memes.

Robbie Warnock and Jeff White both got whipped pretty hard, but really only once they decided to jump ship, which is probably more of a "traitor flog" category than a true whipping boy.

The most universally pilloried Freo player I've ever seen though has to be Col Sylvia, the poor fella showed up on a big wage with big hopes but a big beer gut - and everything was downhill fast from there. Was actually really sad to watch in the end, especially with what happened after he finished up in AFL.
Jeff White did and still does deserve to be called out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back