Autopsy Freo Win by 27 v Gold Concessions @ Optus

Remove this Banner Ad

For all the terrible kicking at goal we've had this season there were crucial moments, especially in the 3rd quarter where we took the 6 points from set shots when we needed an answering goal every time Gold Coast closed the gap. 2 from Treacy, Darcy, and Walters and finally the Henry one in the last quarter which pretty much stamped it down as a win for us.

GC have some of the highest pedigree talent running around together and they just can't seem to put it together.

We had 2 first gamers, a bunch of low end draft picks and rookies (and a smattering of top end talent) and we put them away easily in the end.
Missing - Fyfe, Tabs, Wilson, Cox, Logue, Young, Sturt, Hughes, S Hill. Half a best 18.

Very good effort in the end and I too love the way JL seems to be able to make adjustments on the fly and get the team playing well.

Not forgetting Hamling and Chapman
Makes finding a spot in the back 6 pretty difficult

I am pleased we won. Any win is a good win.

But gee Cerra for all his composure with the ball he gets spooked near the goals cant kick straight if his life depended on it atm.

GC dominated 60% of the first half and only got 1 goal. Got lucky there.

With Crowden can someone tell me who attends home games let me know what his workrate is like because i just dont know what he offers. I reckon the last 7-8 weeks he just doesn't impact on the game enough to justify his spot on the team

Rewatching and * me, Margett's was worse than I realised, there must have been 5 made up free kicks for GC from him. The club needs to have a word, honestly wouldnt be surprised if he's doing it out of spite now

Darcy was incredible but man, Treacy is amazing to watch. Does not lose an aerial contest, 1 on 1, 1 on 2, 1 on 3. That campaigner doesn’t care, he will bring to ground or mark it every time, what a player
Doubles back , recovers well when he goes to ground , chases hard .
Very impressed.

To all those who bang on incessantly ( myself included ) that we can’t draft forwards, can we maybe give it a rest for a while ?

Rewatching and fu** me, Margett's was worse than I realised, there must have been 5 made up free kicks for GC from him. The club needs to have a word, honestly wouldnt be surprised if he's doing it out of spite now
It looked like the AFL thought their pet team would get an easy kill against us and they rang the umpiring director to make sure of it.

But the suns were just too rubbish

Rewatching and fu** me, Margett's was worse than I realised, there must have been 5 made up free kicks for GC from him. The club needs to have a word, honestly wouldnt be surprised if he's doing it out of spite now
All of the clubs need to get together and have a word if possible. It is beyond a joke how bad the umpiring is. In every single game. I almost feel sorry for the umpires because the rules are so convoluted.

Interesting that people pegged Western as ready to go and Walker as not quite there, and it played out the other way around.

Gotta say I didn’t notice Western too much but his WAFL form was good so you’re allowed one like that on debut.

Walker looks to have some real attributes. I hope he’s bought himself another game despite the returning players.

You have to keep in mind that one of those played at half back and the other at half forward. It's much easier to find the ball at half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The holding the man he gave against Treacy was right in front of me. RIGHT. IN. FRONT. OF. ME. I was about ready to storm the field and pull him off. He was disgraceful tonight
I'm going to rewatch that again to see if I can spot the Pav lookalike in the crowd.

Some thoughts
1. Forgot how good was Pearce. I was really concerned he wasn't ready body wise. Thank God he stayed on the park.
2. Treacy will be our equal best rookie list pick. If you did a draft today out of the 2020 class, I think he would go top 10.
3. Henry is starting to feel comfortable at AFL level, the best is in front of him.
4. Given the amount of missing players, we had too many players lacking class and the game reflected that.
5. Tucker production time is slow. He slow to get the ball onto his boot and the ball in the air is too loopy and slow.
6. Walker has jets and shown that he can break the lines. I am concern with his kicking is too loopy and slow.
7. Darcy is a monster. Might be something about Country Victoria because him and Treacy are just strong at the contest.
8. Crowden is class with the ball but useless in the contest.
9. Acres needed to play more ruck to allow keeping our structure in the forward line.
10. Good to get a game into Western. Great lesson to go to the WAFL and work on his game.
11. Colyer pace is amazing.
12. Mundy should never retire. Even as third tall forward, his smarts and skills never lose any value.
13. Cerra kicking is awesome but he needs more of the ball for that $750k price tag. If our team has a few more better users, then opposition teams couldn't time into Cerra.
14. Treacy is better than Lobb.
15. Treacy, Treacy, Treacy - strong leads, marks and defensive efforts are off the charts.
16. Treacy seems to make good decisions with the ball. In 50f contests, he handballs out of the congestion to the outside is awesome.
17. Did I forgot Treacy?

Some thoughts
1. Forgot how good was Pearce. I was really concerned he wasn't ready body wise. Thank God he stayed on the park.
2. Treacy will be our equal best rookie list pick. If you did a draft today out of the 2020 class, I think he would go top 10.
3. Henry is starting to feel comfortable at AFL level, the best is in front of him.
4. Given the amount of missing players, we had too many players lacking class and the game reflected that.
5. Tucker production time is slow. He slow to get the ball onto his boot and the ball in the air is too loopy and slow.
6. Walker has jets and shown that he can break the lines. I am concern with his kicking is too loopy and slow.
7. Darcy is a monster. Might be something about Country Victoria because him and Treacy are just strong at the contest.
8. Crowden is class with the ball but useless in the contest.
9. Acres needed to play more ruck to allow keeping our structure in the forward line.
10. Good to get a game into Western. Great lesson to go to the WAFL and work on his game.
11. Colyer pace is amazing.
12. Mundy should never retire. Even as third tall forward, his smarts and skills never lose any value.
13. Cerra kicking is awesome but he needs more of the ball for that $750k price tag. If our team has a few more better users, then opposition teams couldn't time into Cerra.
14. Treacy is better than Lobb.
15. Treacy, Treacy, Treacy - strong leads, marks and defensive efforts are off the charts.
16. Treacy seems to make good decisions with the ball. In 50f contests, he handballs out of the congestion to the outside is awesome.
17. Did I forgot Treacy?

Treacy would go top 5 if the draft was done again wouldn’t he, unless there’s something I’m missing?

KPF who is fierce at the contest, can mark can kick. He’s kicked bags at the lower level and threatened to at the top level too now. Logan McDonald who will probably be a gun player has not done anything like that.

There’s a lot to talk about here. Firstly, we have had a stroke of luck with COVID cancelling Victorian footy last year because we finally have our top talent young KPF and it cost us NOTHING.
Secondly, either recruiting is even more about throwing darts in the dark than I thought, or he must have been fairly unimpressive as a junior to slide so much even despite the lack of footy last year. Considering the weight of value for good talls vs midfielders and flankers.

Positives
- Much better composure in the 2nd half
- Sean Darcy is not just a proper ruckman but definitely a leader. Carries himself really well and just looks confident.
- Good game by the role players, Colyer was especially good. Acres is just setting you all up for a thud with his good game today.
- Treacy looks great. Another player who just looks confident. Our other forwards should watch what he does after a mark.
- A real lack of love for Brayshaw in here, 29 touches @ 76% DE and 5 tackles. Absolute jet, so happy we have him locked up for years to come. Far more crucial than Cerra IMO.
- Alex Pearce getting through the game was a huge tick, the fact he played well was a bonus.

Negatives
- That first half. Too many times we play like this and it is really disheartening. Coaching group need to get it sorted, we're not winning a flag playing like this. The win can almost be attributed to how bad GC were than anything.
- That injury list is still horrible. Not even the length just the quality. It's a s**t show.

Treacy would go top 5 if the draft was done again wouldn’t he, unless there’s something I’m missing?

KPF who is fierce at the contest, can mark can kick. He’s kicked bags at the lower level and threatened to at the top level too now. Logan McDonald who will probably be a gun player has not done anything like that.

There’s a lot to talk about here. Firstly, we have had a stroke of luck with COVID cancelling Victorian footy last year because we finally have our top talent young KPF and it cost us NOTHING.
Secondly, either recruiting is even more about throwing darts in the dark than I thought, or he must have been fairly unimpressive as a junior to slide so much even despite the lack of footy last year. Considering the weight of value for good talls vs midfielders and flankers.
Usually young tall forwards are told when they enter AFL to get bigger, stronger and work on their defensive games. Treacy has all that.
Recruiting is all educated guesses. People don't know what will happen when a player gets to a club. Fyfe went pick 20 and Morabito pick 4.

I contend that you should be doing more dart throwing.

The reality is you can only beat who's in front of you.and we did that with a severely depleted list to choose from which is a fantastic effort.
The sobering aspect is that we beat GC who kicked 1 goal from I think 12 shots and incl. X2 OOB on the full. Good teams won't be that poor in their front half.
We've got a ways to go but we're tracking in the right direction.

Brayshaw is the next captain.
Darcy's puppy fat has all turned to muscle and he has a heartwarming tendency to turn into Hulk in the contest. Well, heartwarming for a long-jaded Freo supporter, anyway.
Treacy has a beautiful kick and needs to kick through the ball on all his set shots, not just the long ones. Should be easily solvable, I hope! That holding the man call was complete BS. Can't believe the bloke's only 18; hope he keeps getting better!
Henry fairly quiet, but when he gets it... well, I like it a lot.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back