Review Freo wins by 29 vs the Navy Greys

Remove this Banner Ad

I missed the game today and I feel a bit dirty asking this; is it worth watching the replay? By the sounds of this thread, on a perfect day for football the football was pretty atrocious.
There were some good things. But we looked like the second worst team playing the worst team. The forward line did not look like us at all, with players only occasionally getting in each others way, so that was good. The main thing I see as a positive is that when things click we are ok.

Happy we won, but hard to take much away from that. The positives are minor and incremental, with only the passage of time to persevere with.

One worrying thing, is how often really poor opposition teams/players come out of their shell over here and start playing like A-graders. There is clearly something vulnerable in the players and/or coaching strategies that ignites them. Are opposition coaches incredibly confident on how to beat us? Does this translate on the field? Or is just because we start games so poorly.

I’ve also noticed our pressure is heavily dependent on our momentum. When we’re down we literally leave paddocks of space, can’t stick tackles or keep up with them with ball in hand. Kick a couple of goals and they can’t get a clean handball out.

In any event, we’ve got a team full of cooked youngsters and half-broken senior players. We’re limping to the finish line, however I’m not just satisfied with another standard 8-win season. Need to throw everything at Geelong and give them a damn good scare, maybe even try and pull off a shock win at home against the Pies.

There were some good things. But we looked like the second worst team playing the worst team. The forward line did not look like us at all, with players only occasionally getting in each others way, so that was good. The main thing I see as a positive is that when things click we are ok.
That first quarter and a bit of the second, felt like we were the worst team in the comp. Carlton kicking made us look like amateurs. Awful decision making and kicking.
If we can hit targets up forward then we kick 12-15 goals, just like Ross said we should a few seasons ago. Can't see why we couldn't. Would be great if we get some sort of skills coach next season. The kicking going forward, especially last week, have been atrocious.

We are missing 7 of our best 22. This 7 are arguably 7 of our best on the list. We are in the midst of rebuild, have no depth and the kids are starting to fatigue. Many of the players out there are coming back from lower leg injuries and are a little underdone

Can someone please explain to me how on earth we can possibly expect to be watching pretty football?

Tabs Cam and Cox are building. Could be a great trio going into 2019

We are missing 7 of our best 22. This 7 are arguably 7 of our best on the list. We are in the midst of rebuild, have no depth and the kids are starting to fatigue. Many of the players out there are coming back from lower leg injuries and are a little underdone

Can someone please explain to me how on earth we can possibly expect to be watching pretty football?

That’s true. Collingwood have horrible injuries and they are floundering down the bottom of the ladder too. Oh.. wait a minute.

Ok. I forgot my biggest concern with our side at the moment. Opposition sides seem to be just walking it out of their back half, very little pressure until the opposition get close to the halfway line.

Our forward press is atrocious. We seem to leave massive holes that our opponents exploit with ease. Sometimes our boys are just too slow to setup correctly and gift the opposition an easy out.

Back in our peak years our forward press was feared.

Last edited:
There were a few issues in the first half, really thought our midfielders needed to pull their fingers out (good that they did later).

But of it all, Kersten was awful and compromised our whole defence by a long shot and in quite a few instances killed any chance of defending against some of their attacks. But then, by god did he turn his game around. FrankenKersten? His defensive work lifted - which complemented with his disposal (which has always been good) and some great marks - made me think that when SHill comes back, he might actually find his way back to our forward line as a defensive mid sized forward (but only if we have 3 tall forwards please).

That’s true. Collingwood have horrible injuries and they are floundering down the bottom of the ladder too. Oh.. wait a minute.

Adelaide, Bulldogs, Melbourne, GC, Bris. All teams that have had their ladder position significantly impacted by injuries. Collingwood are very much the exception and are still about a year older on average every week, it's not a great comparison.

Reckon Duman could get a sneaky rising star nom?

Stranger things have happened - like all the games when Andy Brayshaw was clearly better than the guy who ended up being nominated, but he was left on the shelf, and then Gaff rearranged his mouth and a guy who will be a superstar goes without a nomination because INCOMPETENCE. (Might be bitter).

Duman's stats: 20K, 7HB (27D), 8M, 2T, 2I50, 7R50, and he even managed a clearance. Had a few clangers, and gave away a couple of frees, but a solid game that, stats wise.

We had 6 changes last week and 5 this week, little wonder there was a lack of synergy.

First half was horrendous, but I thought they really lifted in the second half.

For those bagging big Sean, he looked incredibly fit before his injury and has obviously lost that on his layoff.

Lots of kids looking cooked, but the effort is still there. Roll on next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For those bagging big Sean, he looked incredibly fit before his injury and has obviously lost that on his layoff.
42 v 28 hit outs to Darcy. I know it isn't the whole story, but he's going to be a different player after another pre-season I reckon. I still think we need Sandilands in a support role.

Sorry to intrude on your board but I saw the match day thread was locked but congrats to and your boys on the win today. Very impressive by Neale and McCarthy.

If you attended the game today it would be really appreciated if you could completed my last survey. I promise no more posting after this and you will be in the running for a bar voucher!

Thank you to all the people who took part in my recent surveys and congrats to BigFooty Freo member wild side for being the winner of the $50 Camfield voucher which was drawn randomly.

I have one final and similar survey for anyone who would like to take part in it if you have attended an event post the opening of the Matagarup Bridge. Another $50 Camfield voucher will be given to a random survey participant so please like this post if you have undertook the survey.
https://curtin.au1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_9pN1nXqf6cQNPff

As mentioned before these surveys have received ethics approval from Curtin.

Cheers and enjoy the rest of the footy season at Optus Stadium

42 v 28 hit outs to Darcy. I know it isn't the whole story, but he's going to be a different player after another pre-season I reckon. I still think we need Sandilands in a support role.
I was defending him, thought he rucked really well particularly the third quarter.

It was more about those commenting on his lack of output around the ground, and I would out that down to a lack of match fitness.

He was quite lean pre-injury, not so much now...

Stranger things have happened - like all the games when Andy Brayshaw was clearly better than the guy who ended up being nominated, but he was left on the shelf, and then Gaff rearranged his mouth and a guy who will be a superstar goes without a nomination because INCOMPETENCE. (Might be bitter).

Duman's stats: 20K, 7HB (27D), 8M, 2T, 2I50, 7R50, and he even managed a clearance. Had a few clangers, and gave away a couple of frees, but a solid game that, stats wise.

Said during the WAFL finals last year I thought he had a bit of Dylan Roberton about him hopefully he gets a bit better at holding his ground in the contest. Pretty sure it took Roberton a few seasons to bulk up

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was defending him, thought he rucked really well particularly the third quarter.

It was more about those commenting on his lack of output around the ground, and I would out that down to a lack of match fitness.

He was quite lean pre-injury, not so much now...
Yeah I know you are, and I'm agreeing. he was a bit absent in the first quarter, but finished well.

Reckon Duman could get a sneaky rising star nom?

probably not but im glad others were as impressed with him as i was
i reckon if he gets 50 games under his belt he will go to the next level
nyhaus the same, he rarely loses a 1 on 1 ,hard ass competitor

thoes critical of big darcy should have a good hard look at themselves

I missed the game today and I feel a bit dirty asking this; is it worth watching the replay? By the sounds of this thread, on a perfect day for football the football was pretty atrocious.
Where were you? working out on the banana plantation picking your Dinner ? Lift your game or you wont get your paint brushes back.

You forgot to mention we are coached by Ross as well;)

You reckon? Duman looked pretty composed when he had the ball.
I thought both were major positives out of today though.

I'm also becoming more convinced our medium term forward line future is Tabs, Cox and Dardy.
McCarthy is probably the iffiest of the 3. beating the worst player in the league in a 1 on 1 is no real achievement, i'd like to see a couple of solid games from him to finish the season.

Mccarthy's opponent makes me think that Daniel Parker was not the worst player I have seen.

Jack "Whatshisname" is only getting a game because he has compromising photos of Carltons Head of Recruiting !!!!!.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back