MVP Freo's BF MVP Voting for 2018 - Rules etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
Freo’s season will be underway on the weekend and as the year unfolds we'll have a chance to vote on who we thought performed in any given game. We will go with the same rules as we've had for the past few seasons and they're laid out here so you know how it all goes down. Before I get into that, a shout out to Unique Name for volunteering to help out during the season too.

The regular voting rules go like this:

General Voting

BF posters post their votes for players after the game. Posters can vote within the following boundaries:

No more than 15 votes can be given by any one poster, typically allocated 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - but any other combination is allowed including votes totalling less than 15.
  • No player can get more than 5 votes in a single game
  • Fractions aren't allowed and are rounded up as long as the above rules aren't broken, in which case they are ignored
  • Anybody who lists ambiguous votes such as "1 vote for player x/player y/player z" have their votes included in that order as long as the above rules aren't broken
  • Any blatant donkey votes are ignored (eg. votes for opposition players), but legitimate votes amongst them are included as long as the above rules aren't broken
  • Other than that, I just use the educated guess technique
A few days after the game, and with some notice, I'll tally the votes and allocate scores of 7-1. In addition, any player that gets 2% of the total vote (min 5 votes) also gets a score of 1 (see this post from a while back for details). As with last year I'll also tally total votes and other bits and pieces and post running totals in a dedicated thread.

Best Young Bloke

A slightly tweaked version of the AFL’s Rising Star system is used to determine BYB eligibility and it goes like this:

A 'young player' for voting purposes will be any player who is either a.) 21 years or less at the start of 2018 AND has played less than 10 AFL games or b.) is 25 years or less at the start of the 2018 and has yet to play an AFL game.

By those criteria, the following players would qualify as YBs. List is by DOB and Rookie Listed (R) is indicated:

Brayshaw, Andrew
Dixon, Hugh
Cerra, Adam
Crowden, Mitchell
Giro, Stefan (R)
North, Tom
Cox, Brennan
Darcy, Sean
Meek, Lloyd
Duman, Taylin (R)
Banfield, Bailey (R)
Strnadica, Luke (R)
Switkowski, Sam
Nyhuis, Ryan (R)
Jones, Scott

If any of the qualifying players gets a game, and you think their game was worth it, then nominate them for a vote

A 'Young Bloke' will also get a nomination if they are listed in the 'regular votes' but not mentioned specifically as a BYB.

Note: two players only just miss out; Griff Logue and Luke Ryan, both with too many games (13 and 11 respectively). If I hear enough rumblings, we could bend the rules and include them, but I reckon it's about right as it is.

Note 2: YOU CAN GIVE A NOMINATION TO MORE THAN ONE PLAYER PER GAME (this is a change introduced last year but I don't think was really picked up).

So that's it. Any comments, suggestions, corrections etc. welcomed. Otherwise, enjoy the season!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back