MVP Freo's BF MVP Voting for 2019 - Rules etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jul 15, 2007
Too far from my bed
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Patriots
The 2019 is underway (well almost) and as we've had for years now, we'll have opportunities to vote on how we think the players faired after every game. End of the season, I tally things up and we can honour our Freo Big Footy Player of the Year and Young Gun of the Year winners. This thread is put here so those interested know how it all works and can offer suggestions etc.. For those who've been around for a while, it's basically all the same.

The regular voting rules go like this:

General Voting

BF posters post their votes for players after the game. Posters can vote within the following boundaries:

No more than 15 votes can be given by any one poster, typically allocated 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - but any other combination is allowed including votes totalling less than 15.
  • No player can get more than 5 votes in a single game
  • Fractions aren't allowed and are rounded up as long as the above rules aren't broken, in which case they are ignored
  • Anybody who lists ambiguous votes such as "1 vote for player x/player y/player z" have their votes included in that order as long as the above rules aren't broken
  • Any blatant donkey votes are ignored (eg. votes for opposition players), but legitimate votes amongst them are included as long as the above rules aren't broken
  • Opposition fans votes count, as long as they aren't being campaigners
  • Other than that, I just use the educated guess technique
A few days after the game, and with some notice, I'll tally the votes and allocate scores of 7-1. In addition, any player that gets 2% of the total vote (min 5 votes) also gets a score of 1 (see this post from a while back for details). I'll also tally total votes and other bits and pieces and post running totals in a dedicated thread.

Best Young Player

A slightly tweaked version of the AFL’s Rising Star system is used to determine BYP eligibility and it goes like this:

A 'young player' for voting purposes will be any player who is either a.) 22 years or less at the start of 2019 AND has played 10 AFL games or less or b.) is 25 years or less at the start of the 2019 and has yet to play an AFL game.

By those criteria, the following players would qualify. List is by DOB and Rookie Listed (R) is indicated:

Sturt, Sam
Valente, Luke
Carter, Jason (R)
Crowden, Mitchell
Giro, Stefan (R)
Dixon, Hugh
North, Tom
Meek, Lloyd
Duman, Taylin
Watson, Tobe (R)
Schultz, Lachlan
Switkowski, Sam
Bewley, Brett

If any of the qualifying players gets a game, and you think their game was worth it, then nominate them for a vote

A 'Young Player' will also get a nomination if they are listed in the 'regular votes' but not mentioned specifically as a BYP.

Note: YOU CAN GIVE A NOMINATION TO MORE THAN ONE PLAYER PER GAME.

So that's it. Any comments, suggestions, corrections etc. welcomed. Otherwise, enjoy the season!!

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back