Strategy Friday Night Boycott

Are you prepared to boycott our Round 8 match against Geelong?

• Yes

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • No

Votes: 86 75.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide
I'm sick of the disrespect our club is shown by the league. Being a healthy, functioning, self-sustaining, profit-making interstate club in this league puts you in no-mans land.

We only came into existence to prop up all the s**t clubs in Victoria and the VFL's pathetic attempts at expansion in the Eastern states and its time that WE did something, instead of lining up in droves and expecting the AFL to change their ways.

This Friday gives us exclusive national exposure, in what will be a highly-billed game on the back of Dangerfield's return to Adelaide.

I'm proposing that we as a supporter base boycott this game in response to particularly the farcical game against the bulldogs last night, which was only one in a long line of farcical games (including the recent game against Hawthorn as well as the disgraceful 2012 Prelim).

Here are a two reasons why I think this is a good idea:
  • Our attendance has been magnificent since we moved to Adelaide Oval and we are playing good footy. Anything less than 30,000 on a Friday night sends a BIG message (ideally less than 10,000 would leave little doubt that it is a protest).
  • Most of the stadium is already sold to 11 game memberships. We've already supported the club financially, not turning up is the only (small) way we can hurt the AFL.
I want to poll interest here and if you all agree I'd be happy to find support amongst others to launch a Facebook and Twitter campaign to try and gain the support needed for this to work.

I would also propose that if people feel like we still need to support the players that we could arrange to go to the ground without entering the stadium. Fill the surrounds, and really illustrate that we are in protest.

Finally to anybody who thinks this is pathetic I would propose that spending your hard earned money to support a team in the sole pursuit of winning a premiership, in a competition that is leeching all of that money and applying a permanent handicap for our trouble is more pathetic.

I'm at the end of my tether, we either instigate supporter-driven change or my participation in the AFL ends for good, and the latter would be far too sad.

would also like to add this to the discussion:

I think even then it wouldnt make much difference, it would just be spun as sour grapes.

The AFL are beholden to no one but the broadcasters.

Now if 35000 crows supporters called up and cancelled their foxtel subscriptions, wed have a result the next day.

thanks to SpeciousArgument

already seeing it.

being too proud will be our downfall.

A better idea would be to try and organise a boycott of OPSM the umpires sponsor until the AFL does something to improve transparency and makes a visible effort to remove bias from AFL games.
can't see that being effectual, but I'm all ears for better ideas people want to throw out there.

I would love to see some banners though.

I've noticed this season the western grandstand now has advertising on either side of the names of the stands - why is this important? Previously according to the by-laws of the SMA, you could hang signage if it wasn't blocking any advertising; any attempt now to hang a banner over the stand will block advertising and so be disallowed.

The SMA Code of Conduct says:

- Ensure banners, signs, clothing or other observable materials are free of obscene, discriminatory and/or indecent messages
- You can't take in Flag poles and/or extendable flag poles over 1 metre in length;
- you can't take in Oversized signs, banners or flags that are considered by AOSMA as capable of causing a nuisance;

...i can't find the bit about covering advertising, but i'm sure it's there.

best off flooding the airwaves, or taking in hand signs in the hope cameras put you on the screen.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't understand.

What is the purpose of this boycott. Not being disingenuous, genuinely what to know what the problem/disrespect shown towards the club is about.

A better idea would be to try and organise a boycott of OPSM the umpires sponsor until the AFL does something to improve transparency and makes a visible effort to remove bias from AFL games.
Probably the most sensible and effective idea. Targeting its sponsors is a sure fire way to cause concern.

A simple OPSM banner would cause a few headaches at AFL HQ.

Test

*just checking i'm not banned again*.

I've told my wife I'm not going this Friday. Need a break from the game especially if, as expected, there are no repercussions for Pannell.

Back