Strategy Friday Night Boycott

Are you prepared to boycott our Round 8 match against Geelong?

• Yes

Votes: 28 24.6%
  • No

Votes: 86 75.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope they send Pannell over to umpire. If he wants to feel safe he would have to pay a lot free kicks to us lol.. nothing stupid like 17 frees to 1 or anything, that would be stupid, and obviously cheating.. oh wait..

I don't understand.

What is the purpose of this boycott. Not being disingenuous, genuinely what to know what the problem/disrespect shown towards the club is about.
well I'm not surprised its hard to understand.

remember Chappy diving on the ball in the goal square and going into the fetal position while you were less than a goal in front? Imagine being Brisbane.

I'm glad people seem to agree that some action is required to demonstrate how over it we all are, but I'm not sure booing at the 17th minute and a few banners that will never be shown is enough personally.

surely they would constitute whinging more than actually making a personal sacrifice and not attending in protest, but to each their own I suppose.

its no wonder both sides of politics are so corrupt in this country when they only have to answer to a few sarcastic Facebook posts and comedians. What happened to a good protest that's what I want to know, went out with a "fair go" too I guess.

All wear eye patches?

Mustn't hurt the club or players. It's the AFL who should be to taken to task and smacked over this and the only way to hurt them and make them take notice is in the hip pocket and through their sponsors. So who sponsors the Umpires? OPSM (who I suspect are watching this with increasing concern anyway). So that's the target.

What to do? Don't buy anything from OPSM (I'm due new glasses and won't go back to OPSM - hope others will join me).

Sneak some funny banners discrediting the umps and their sponsorship by OPSM into Adelaide Oval on Friday night. Should make for rich pickings and some great humour ('one-eyed' 'need glasses' something around the quality of the umps contact lenses etc) and make sure some are at ground level and will be in camera shot at some point. Post photos of the best banners here on Monday to receive accolades and we get to vote for the best banner of the round until things change.

Maybe even manual free-counting (missed and paid) for each team (large score card type things) near the cheer squad to keep the bastards accountable since the AFL won't. Sort of parallel universe umpiring.

Anyway you get the idea and just some off-the-cuff Sunday night ideas. I'm sure others could think of much better ones.

I don't think boycott is the way to go but something needs to be done. I am sick of the Victorian bias in the VFL (sorry AFL). It is meant to be a national competition but we all know that it is still a Victorian competition and all interstate clubs are just in the AFL to generate money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the idea of a giant inflatable green maggot. Alot easier to have it on a banner behind the goals though...

I had a dream that every single crows supporter stayed outside the ground and watched the match on TV or something, leaving the stadium empty apart from the cats supporters. We each donated $20 directly to the club, and sent a powerful message. We also kidnapped pannell, had him tied to the stake game of thrones style, and started a fire by lighting bulldogs memorabilia. Then I woke up, so I'm not sure what happened to him.

Damn it, read the title and thought " great, a theme night where we all dress up as Fiery Boycott, all talk in Yorkshire accents and steer any conversation back to when you were opening for England".

Like to have seen what BT would have thought of that

this is from an article about the SUCCESSFUL boycotts in the A-League:

It wasn't long ago that active fans were seen as little more than highly-trained happy-clappers eager to part with hundreds of dollars in exchange for the right to cheer "their" team. The idea of a boycott, or walkout, or any kind of protest was - at least in this country - unthinkable. Perhaps even un-Australian. But this is a new era and the old rules no longer apply. Fans have every right to make their voices heard because (as everyone is only now starting to realise) they are the most important stakeholders in professional sport. They are the ones who fund everything (TV money doesn't appear from thin air) that makes the sport professional. Without them, it's amateur hour. Literally.

I've bolded a piece in there which is typical of the attitudes in this thread. I don't care if some of you think this is embarassing, we as supporters hold no other cards.

and they are the strongest cards in the game I might add.

I would like to know what proportions of our memberships/match tickets go straight to the AFL. Basically I want to find the best way to financially support my club and not let the wider competition benefit from it? If that means giving up my membership so be it.

I'm sick of the disrespect our club is shown by the league. Being a healthy, functioning, self-sustaining, profit-making interstate club in this league puts you in no-mans land.

We only came into existence to prop up all the s**t clubs in Victoria and the VFL's pathetic attempts at expansion in the Eastern states and its time that WE did something, instead of lining up in droves and expecting the AFL to change their ways.

This Friday gives us exclusive national exposure, in what will be a highly-billed game on the back of Dangerfield's return to Adelaide.

I'm proposing that we as a supporter base boycott this game in response to particularly the farcical game against the bulldogs last night, which was only one in a long line of farcical games (including the recent game against Hawthorn as well as the disgraceful 2012 Prelim).

Here are a two reasons why I think this is a good idea:
  • Our attendance has been magnificent since we moved to Adelaide Oval and we are playing good footy. Anything less than 30,000 on a Friday night sends a BIG message (ideally less than 10,000 would leave little doubt that it is a protest).
  • Most of the stadium is already sold to 11 game memberships. We've already supported the club financially, not turning up is the only (small) way we can hurt the AFL.
I want to poll interest here and if you all agree I'd be happy to find support amongst others to launch a Facebook and Twitter campaign to try and gain the support needed for this to work.

I would also propose that if people feel like we still need to support the players that we could arrange to go to the ground without entering the stadium. Fill the surrounds, and really illustrate that we are in protest.

Finally to anybody who thinks this is pathetic I would propose that spending your hard earned money to support a team in the sole pursuit of winning a premiership, in a competition that is leeching all of that money and applying a permanent handicap for our trouble is more pathetic.

I'm at the end of my tether, we either instigate supporter-driven change or my participation in the AFL ends for good, and the latter would be far too sad.

OMFG:thumbsdown::thumbsdownemoji:

The best thing we can do, if upset, is show support to our administration and encourage them to petition behind the scenes for change and review, considering that they know what leverage they hold. The AFL is the system. We have to play between being sycophantic (Trigg) and loud mouthed/rebellious(Eddie,Koch ect) to inact change.

Having a massive public strop helps no one long term and is reactionary.

We dont want a fight, we want fairness. Stop sooking, stop the tantrums.

Back