Friday Night Footy in 2017

Remove this Banner Ad

AFL article from October 2015 regarding the 2016 fixture:

"FRIDAY night football will again become the domain of the leading clubs in 2016, with the AFL loading up on marquee match-ups for the premier time slot.

Thursday's release of the 2016 Toyota AFL Fixture reveals that Hawthorn will feature on six Friday nights as it seeks to become the first club since the 1927-1930 Collingwood outfit to win four premierships in a row.

Richmond will also feature six times on Friday nights, while North Melbourne features on five occasions, as does perennial drawcard Collingwood.

The improving Western Bulldogs have been granted their wish for more primetime exposure and will feature on three occasions after none in 2015.

As expected, wooden-spooner Carlton has been dropped entirely from the Friday night schedule after six appearances in 2015, while five other clubs – the Brisbane Lions, Greater Western Sydney, Gold Coast, Melbourne and St Kilda - will also not feature in the timeslot."

So basically you want to do what they did last year again?

What exactly are you complaining about?

Less Collingwood and Richmond, their games have been an absolute bore. More Adelaide, Giants and Bulldogs please. And Melbourne and Saints should get at least 1, probably 2 each.

I'll bite, why not us?
The Bombers will have finished last or 2nd last on the ladder, have brought the game in to disrepute, possibly even tanked against Brisbane and have lost by 61, 108 and 78 in 3 Thurs/Fri night games this year. Plus 69 points on ANZAC day. So 4 prime time games that they shouldn't have even played in have been ruined for the neutral audience.

Yes you'll get your players back next year and likely be competitive and maybe even ride the wave of redemption to finals contention, but the AFL in their typical stupidity, gutlessness or selective decision making refused to amend the fixture this year. Despite the obvious restrictions Essendon failed miserably on the big stage and deserve the treatment that the other bottom teams get.

And the dons will gladly accept the number 1 pick that is reflective of a bad team and a bad list. So come draft night Essendon will be comfortable with being the worst team in the competition, but come fixture night they won't be? Has to be one or the other doesn't it?

The Bombers will have finished last or 2nd last on the ladder, have brought the game in to disrepute, possibly even tanked against Brisbane and have lost by 61, 108 and 78 in 3 Thurs/Fri night games this year. Plus 69 points on ANZAC day. So 4 prime time games that they shouldn't have even played in have been ruined for the neutral audience.

Yes you'll get your players back next year and likely be competitive and maybe even ride the wave of redemption to finals contention, but the AFL in their typical stupidity, gutlessness or selective decision making refused to amend the fixture this year. Despite the obvious restrictions Essendon failed miserably on the big stage and deserve the treatment that the other bottom teams get.

And the dons will gladly accept the number 1 pick that is reflective of a bad team and a bad list. So come draft night Essendon will be comfortable with being the worst team in the competition, but come fixture night they won't be? Has to be one or the other doesn't it?

Wouldn't think so. They are comfortable with being the worst team in 2016 because they were, but are clearly not going to be the worst team in 2017

Every single team should get at least one of every single time slot during each season.
Agree with this. All teams should share the load and get at least some of the good and the bad time slots. The financial impact of teams not getting a share of FTA exposure and playing in low crowd drawing time slots is significant.

Of course I think the top performing teams should get more of whats left of the good time slots but there should be more effort to make it a fairer fixture

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every team should have access to a home Friday night game. No exceptions. Top 4-6 should have access to all of those that are left.

I know the broadcaster wants blockbuster after blockbuster, but you can schedule even bad teams into a competitive fixture that will generate interest.

Wouldn't think so. They are comfortable with being the worst team in 2016 because they were, but are clearly not going to be the worst team in 2017
Well you can't have your cake and eat it too. If they want to be treated like an mid tier team suffering from a self inflicted ban then they can forego the number 1 pick and draft after the other non finalists. If they want to be treated like the bottom club then they can stay off our TV screens for a year.

Not the same extent as 12 players suspended or with the same results but Freo have clearly focused on next year as well and will likely improve with Fyfe, Sandi, Bennell, Johnson etc next year. Come fixturing time they will likely receive a TV fixture worthy of a bottom 4 side. Same for the Gold Coast who's best 5 midfielders have missed more than they've played this year.

Carlton were rightfully wiped from prime time and it's done us and them a favour.

It should not be a criteria for the draw, let randomness decide. There are already too many limitations on the draw.
Yep. I'm too lazy to do it but I've often thought about producing a draw at complete random (with only rules being play each team min once, max twice, half home half away, and more or less the same chronological spread of games with no five day breaks) and just seeing what comes up, if it looks strange at all.

I think the AFL might be cautious on Carlton next year despite their improvement - there's a possibility they'll regress and consequently struggle to rate well. Have another season similar to this and they could expect quite a few in 2018. Essendon and Richmond can bugger off.

Yep. I'm too lazy to do it but I've often thought about producing a draw at complete random (with only rules being play each team min once, max twice, half home half away, and more or less the same chronological spread of games with no fibre day breaks) and just seeing what comes up, if it looks strange at all.

http://www.fixturelist.com/ (though I'm not sure you'd get a split of 11 home/away)

Every team should have access to a home Friday night game. No exceptions. Top 4-6 should have access to all of those that are left.

I know the broadcaster wants blockbuster after blockbuster, but you can schedule even bad teams into a competitive fixture that will generate interest.
Bad team + Bad team often = rarely a decent game, often bad close game or sometimes horrendous non close game

Bad team + average team = sometimes decent game, sometimes bad close game or often horrendous non close game

Both of those are pretty big gambles.

The league seems far more equal this year than it has been recently - or at least there's equality between the bottom 10 and top 8, with a gap only the Saints and Roos are converging on between top and bottom, which means a few more risks can be taken. Brisbane are the only team who are really struggling this year if you exclude Essendon. And if healthy Brisbane can compete next year. I wouldn't begrudge them their Easter Thursday game v Collingwood if Easter falls at the right time. They need a big game early in the year to attract members and one they can win. There's match ups for Essendon, Freo, Coll, Carl, Rich, Melb that could be of interest, but they are at a 1 or 2 Friday night game level really. Any more than that is purely going for the big club vote, which has to happen but with restrictions. Gold Coast could play good footy next year but I doubt they are worth the gamble until they sort out their injuries, and if they end up trading Prestia, Swallow and O'Meara that sets them back.

I'd go 4 games for the top 4, 3 games for the next 4, 2 games for the next 4 and 1 game for the bottom 6 only if it's a commercially viable game. Then sprinkle the left over matches (including Thursdays) to the big drawing clubs.

Even some of the top 8 clashes have been pretty crap this year. Hawthorn v GWS, Geelong vs Adelaide, Hawthorn vs West Coast and a couple others would have all been shocking Friday night games.

Reckon they should just give every team an equal go. None of this 'big 4' crap. Maybe have some Friday night games interstate as well.

its easy , collingwood essendon richmond ratings my friend , welcome to the world of business

Bad team + Bad team often = rarely a decent game, often bad close game or sometimes horrendous non close game

Bad team + average team = sometimes decent game, sometimes bad close game or often horrendous non close game

Both of those are pretty big gambles.

The league seems far more equal this year than it has been recently - or at least there's equality between the bottom 10 and top 8, with a gap only the Saints and Roos are converging on between top and bottom, which means a few more risks can be taken. Brisbane are the only team who are really struggling this year if you exclude Essendon. And if healthy Brisbane can compete next year. I wouldn't begrudge them their Easter Thursday game v Collingwood if Easter falls at the right time. They need a big game early in the year to attract members and one they can win. There's match ups for Essendon, Freo, Coll, Carl, Rich, Melb that could be of interest, but they are at a 1 or 2 Friday night game level really. Any more than that is purely going for the big club vote, which has to happen but with restrictions. Gold Coast could play good footy next year but I doubt they are worth the gamble until they sort out their injuries, and if they end up trading Prestia, Swallow and O'Meara that sets them back.

I'd go 4 games for the top 4, 3 games for the next 4, 2 games for the next 4 and 1 game for the bottom 6 only if it's a commercially viable game. Then sprinkle the left over matches (including Thursdays) to the big drawing clubs.

Where you have a struggling team, and let's use Brisbane as the prime case for this year. We all knew last year they would be pretty bad.

Pop it in round 5-9... against Carlton, Richmond, Saints or Collingwood.

Essendon who were equally expected to be shizen

Again, round 5-9 and make it against Carlton or North.

Equalisation doesn't just start and stop at the money. If the AFL are honest, they should look at all facets of the game and scheduling of Friday nights needs to have a balance.

Well you can't have your cake and eat it too. If they want to be treated like an mid tier team suffering from a self inflicted ban then they can forego the number 1 pick and draft after the other non finalists. If they want to be treated like the bottom club then they can stay off our TV screens for a year.

Not the same extent as 12 players suspended or with the same results but Freo have clearly focused on next year as well and will likely improve with Fyfe, Sandi, Bennell, Johnson etc next year. Come fixturing time they will likely receive a TV fixture worthy of a bottom 4 side. Same for the Gold Coast who's best 5 midfielders have missed more than they've played this year.

Carlton were rightfully wiped from prime time and it's done us and them a favour.

Well you can. Facts are they aren't going to be as terrible next year when their list comes back. If you want to just go on results then fair enough just have a flat out bottom teams from the previous year dont get big TV games, but i personally think a bit of common sense can come into it and understand this is a unique situation

They weren't lighting the world on fire in 2015 either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back