Friday Night Ladders

Remove this Banner Ad

BuffDog

Club Legend
Nov 10, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
For no other reason than it being uni holidays and having a little too much time on my hands I decided to compile lists of which teams have featured in the most Friday night matches since the beginning of the 2007 season.

Of course Friday night matches are regarded as the jewel in the crown of every AFL round and generally is the most commercially lucrative for clubs, particularly for the home teams.

Total Friday Night Games

1. Collingwood - 58
2. Geelong - 50
=2. Hawthorn - 50
4. Essendon - 44
5. St. Kilda - 41
6. Carlton - 38
7. Western Bulldogs - 33
8. Richmond - 31
9. North Melbourne - 26
10. Adelaide - 25
11. Sydney - 24
12. West Coast - 22
13. Fremantle - 20
14. Melbourne - 13
15. Port Adelaide - 12
16. Brisbane - 4
17. GWS - 3
18. Gold Coast - 0

Home Friday Night Games

1. Collingwood - 26
2. St. Kilda - 22
3. Essendon - 21
4. Geelong - 20
5. Hawthorn - 18
=5. North Melbourne - 18
7. Adelaide - 15
=7. Richmond - 15
=7. Western Bulldogs - 15
10. Carlton - 14
=10. Sydney - 14
12. Fremantle - 13
=12. Melbourne - 13
14. Port Adelaide - 11
=14. West Coast - 11
16. Brisbane - 3
17. GWS - 1
18. Gold Coast - 0

Observations

- Collingwood are clearly the major drawcard of the league appearing in the most Friday matches over the last decade. Interestingly their coffers have also been assisted by enjoying the most home Friday night matches.
- Victorian teams continue to dominate Friday night matches with the top 9 teams all Victorian. Unless I miscounted last years Adelaide v West Coast game and this years upcoming Adelaide v Sydney game are the only friday night games since 2007 not to feature a victorian team.
- Carlton (6th overall) and Richmond (8th overall) highlight that a supposed big 4 favouritism isn't really true. However, Essendon (4th) has enjoyed a fair share of friday night games for a relatively mediocre side.
- Interestingly, St. Kilda (2nd) have fared well with the second most home friday night games, North Melbourne (equal 5th) also can't complain with the same matches as Hawthorn and higher than Carlton and Richmond
- Gold Coast have yet to play in a Friday night match which isn't helping their exposure
- Brisbane have only appeared in 4 Friday night matches since 2007 and have not had a home match since 2010 - no favours by the AFL
- For a team that has generally been competitive, Port Adelaide's position of 15th is surprising

Overall while it was probably a fairly pointless exercise it did highlight some interesting results and highlights the continued challenege and argument of rewarding strong performing teams with friday night game or opting for an equalisation model ensuring all clubs enjoy the exposure and commercial benefit of a friday night game.

Not sure if you have the data handy but would love to know the figures on how many Friday Night Games have been between 2 Non-Victorian sides over the years. I think we have 1 scheduled for this season.

Infuriates me that for some reason Ch 7 & the AFL demand that at least one Victorian club (usually one of the big ones) MUST feature in Friday Night Footy. In 2017 I don’t even know why, if going on previous season records, GWS vs Adelaide would look like a marquee fixture so why can’t it be shown on Friday night? Why would say an Essendon fan care there is no Vic team so we better make it Richmond vs Adelaide just so we have a Vic side in there. I think in this day and age most footy fans (Vic or not) just want to see the best game of the week on Friday night regardless of the origin of the teams playing.

I would think that with the MCG being the home ground of a few clubs, and the fact it gets used more than once each weekend, then it's more likely a Friday night game would be scheduled at the MCG.

Only 3 Friday Night MCG games scheduled in the H&A this year. So at most there will be 4 if it happens in round 23.

I know, surprises me also.

Good OP, it's pretty ridiculous Gold Coast haven't had one Friday night game to help promote the club. Games versus GWS or Brisbane could also fit well on a Friday night.

You could easily create hype by pitching Ablett versus his old club.

Gold Coast are one of the first clubs to be laughed at when struggling and this doesn't help them build a following.

The fixturing of games is quite predictable and for some reasons understandably so, like the 4:40pm Western derby given the time difference.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You've got to count Thursday night games on the same principle of blockbuster TV evening games. e.g Carlton and Richmond's numbers "seem" low until you realise they've played 10 or 11 or whatever it is season-opening games in the last 11 years on a Thursday night.

Not sure if you have the data handy but would love to know the figures on how many Friday Night Games have been between 2 Non-Victorian sides over the years. I think we have 1 scheduled for this season.

Infuriates me that for some reason Ch 7 & the AFL demand that at least one Victorian club (usually one of the big ones) MUST feature in Friday Night Footy. In 2017 I don’t even know why, if going on previous season records, GWS vs Adelaide would look like a marquee fixture so why can’t it be shown on Friday night? Why would say an Essendon fan care there is no Vic team so we better make it Richmond vs Adelaide just so we have a Vic side in there. I think in this day and age most footy fans (Vic or not) just want to see the best game of the week on Friday night regardless of the origin of the teams playing.

Think I mentioned it was just 2, Adelaide v west coast round 23 being the first and only cause it was a floating fixture

You've got to count Thursday night games on the same principle of blockbuster TV evening games. e.g Carlton and Richmond's numbers "seem" low until you realise they've played 10 or 11 or whatever it is season-opening games in the last 11 years on a Thursday night.

Good point I didn't include Thursday nights in this but they definitely count for exposure maybe generally not as beneficial to attendances.

Thursday night slots do allow for a greater spread and share of prime time spots but generally you'll find the same teams involved regardless

In some slight defence, Collingwood were a finals team 2007 -2013 and therefore extremely bankable in that time and somewhat deserving.

On the flip side Port were atrocious in the same period and the sight of a 2 thirds empty crappola Football Park would not have been a very alluring drawcard for the fans or the TV stations.

Hawks and Geelong have been good sides so no problems there. Essendon and Carlton have been wildly over subscribed.

I've gotta say I think that's pretty unfair that Gold Coast have not had a single Friday night game. They should at least get 1 next year no matter how poorly they finish this year.

I do agree with favouring the sides that finish higher on the ladder but yeah to not have had a single Friday night game in 5 or so years. That doesn't sit right with me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back