Friday Night Ladders

Remove this Banner Ad

your sensible logic has no place here. its all about the victorian conspiracy! begone with you!!!
I would agree, it makes sense that there would be more vic v vic match ups, but only three (I think) non victorian match ups? Surely that's a bit off

richmond have been that low because most of those years we were absolute dogshit. wonder how many of our friday night games came from 2013,2014,2015

perfect world every team should play on friday night at least once with more going to higher placed teams and sides that play attractive footy

Essendon and Carlton the two "how did they get there" entrants - no sustained high performance like the other clubs at the top of the list. Interstate clubs quite right to feel shafted.

It's actually one of the rare years where the AFL have got the Friday night fixturing almost spot on. I've found myself looking forward to the Friday night game 80% of the time. Usually it's around 50% at best, sometimes less.

I remember the days when they'd schedule Carlton v Hawthorn on Friday nights every ******* year, and that was when both teams were bog ordinary.

It's actually one of the rare years where the AFL have got the Friday night fixturing almost spot on. I've found myself looking forward to the Friday night game 80% of the time. Usually it's around 50% at best, sometimes less.

I remember the days when they'd schedule Carlton v Hawthorn on Friday nights every ******* year, and that was when both teams were bog ordinary.

Yep. Of the 25 Thursday/Friday night games only 5 or 6 have been s**t games which is a very good strike rate.

Not sure if you have the data handy but would love to know the figures on how many Friday Night Games have been between 2 Non-Victorian sides over the years. I think we have 1 scheduled for this season.

Infuriates me that for some reason Ch 7 & the AFL demand that at least one Victorian club (usually one of the big ones) MUST feature in Friday Night Footy. In 2017 I don’t even know why, if going on previous season records, GWS vs Adelaide would look like a marquee fixture so why can’t it be shown on Friday night? Why would say an Essendon fan care there is no Vic team so we better make it Richmond vs Adelaide just so we have a Vic side in there. I think in this day and age most footy fans (Vic or not) just want to see the best game of the week on Friday night regardless of the origin of the teams playing.
I agree that it would make sense that the Friday night slot is simply the best game of the week, but you have to remember that it is one of only three games broadcast on 7 in Victoria for the weekend (on a normal weekend, that is, with no Thursday or Monday footy). I suppose they want to make sure as many Victorian fans get to see there teams play as possible, so matches between two Victorian teams is ideal. You have to remember that all of the interstate teams get all their matches free in their home state (correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe this is the case), while Geelong for example has less than half on FTA, so it makes sense to have Victorian teams on the Victorian TV slot.

I agree that it would make sense that the Friday night slot is simply the best game of the week, but you have to remember that it is one of only three games broadcast on 7 in Victoria for the weekend (on a normal weekend, that is, with no Thursday or Monday footy). I suppose they want to make sure as many Victorian fans get to see there teams play as possible, so matches between two Victorian teams is ideal. You have to remember that all of the interstate teams get all their matches free in their home state (correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe this is the case), while Geelong for example has less than half on FTA, so it makes sense to have Victorian teams on the Victorian TV slot.

The problem is that Friday night footy means big money for the clubs that play. When the top eight or nine clubs are all Victorian, that suggests that simply by being in Victoria, the AFL has decided to give them a huge advantage financially over the rest of the competition.

If the AFL was really concerned about Victorian fans watching their sides on FTA they wouldn't sell so many games to Foxtel.

7 try to make a profit, so they want teams that people watch, Vic has the biggest market, so they will want to show Vic sides.
The AFL don't sell games to Fox, 7 do.

I didn't know that, I thought the AFL sold some to fox and some to seven.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's clearly a massive bias toward big four teams. Carlton. Collongwood, Essendon and Richmond are all much higher on this ladder than their mesiocre performances from the last decade would suggest they should be.

There's clearly a massive bias toward big four teams. Carlton. Collongwood, Essendon and Richmond are all much higher on this ladder than their mesiocre performances from the last decade would suggest they should be.

Collingwood has had 7 finals appearances, 5 top 4's, 2 (3) grand finals and a premiership in that time. Not sure mediocre is the right word to use for them.

As has been alluded to there is probably a number of factors that (rightly or wrongly) influence the number of Friday night games certain teams get.
  • Vic teams aren't guaranteed live free to air coverage like the interstate teams (Correct me if I'm wrong)
  • Travel - A Friday night game inevitably means that you are coming of a 6 day break, combining this with the travel factor may be why there is less interstate games on Friday nights?
  • A Friday night game in Vic helps the AFL avoid scheduling two games at the same time in the same town, thereby meaning that any neutrals that attend can see both games.

Interstate teams aren't guaranteed live free to air any more. I think at least the WA & SA teams had 3+ put on delay intentionally to drive people to Foxtel.

- For a team that has generally been competitive, Port Adelaide's position of 15th is surprising

From 2008-2012, the Power didn't make the finals, and had a winning percentage of just 30.91% (34 wins, 1 draw and 75 losses in 110 matches). That's half a decade of complete s**t.

Even 2013-present has been somewhat mediocre, mid-table kind of stuff (winning percentage of 55.69%, 61 wins and 48 losses in 109 matches).

Looking at the TV ratings, Geelong V Adelaide, Western Sydney V Bulldogs have been the best this year, AFL knows that if they want the big ratings they need a Vic team plus a non vic side. Funnily this year only 3 games have fetched over 400k ratings in Melbourne, 2 of them involving Collingwood. No one can really complain at why Collingwood get these prime time games.

Just to note what a random distribution should look like, there must be 110 games played at home for Victorian clubs. Take out 10 for Geelong and 6 for Tasmania and you've got 94 matches to be played in Melbourne. 23 games x 2 grounds x 2 days is 92 slots just on weekends. Obviously, the extra two are made up every single year until these match ups demise, by the Richmond/Carlton season opener and the Geelong/Hawthorn Easter Monday. Plus Anzac Day and now Anzac eve most years and there may be a few others as well. Let's say 88 matches all up for regular Friday/Saturdays/Sundays, at 44 per ground
Adelaide and Subi each need to host 22 each year, plus the 4 nsw/qld grounds host 11 each. So Melbourne hosts the same amount of games in the 'regular' slots as the rest of the country all up.
Hence, if these slots are randomly distributed (which we should get close to over an extended period), there should be a similar amount of Friday night games in Melbourne as there is in the rest of the country.

(Assuming OP's stats count the Good Friday game was considered Friday night and all games hosted by Victorian teams were played in Melbourne, which I know they weren't)
Melbourne games: 182
Interstate games: 68
Even considering that for about half the time there were only 66 interstate games to be played, that's pretty far from even.

I know that the uneven distribution is somewhat due to TV deals, but I question that logic. There are the people who care, that will probably watch anything but will watch any two good teams, the bypassers who don't care, may watch it regardless of who is playing, then the casual fans who will only really watch their team. My question is, how many of these casual fans are there really? If two interstate teams are playing, do you choose not to watch? Obviously, the AFL wants to showcase the best games, and will reward performing teams, which is fair, but how much does the location of a team/game affect the ratings? Does someone have these stats?

Sydney didn't want them for whatever reason for quite a while.
I kinda get that. Our first was at Manuka requiring a day off work to get there for a home game. Friday's FTA game is one each week when I can watch neutral games. Nothing personal but I prefer it's not a Swans game which is on FTA anyway. Our games I attend.
I can live with it if the club wants it but I'm not convinced it's good for supporters. Working ckass stiffs who commute and struggle to get time off anyway.

A Friday night game would help Gold Coast to get more exposure, but that might backfire if they get absolutely belted. They're capable of competitive footy, but they don't produce it anywhere near reliably enough to risk embarrassing them nationally. Let them show some consistency so an even match-up can be picked and then give them a Friday night.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back