Game Day Friday Night Lights - Essendon vs Adelaide

Frampton and Himmelberg will combine for how many goals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Tonight - agree, not acceptable. Effort, skills, gameplan, didn't change much like passing short into the forward line.
Selection was wrong, but didn't have many other choices. Fog, mcadam, hately maybe. Who else? Do we want lynch playing?
Coaching was also wrong - gameplan gave us no chance of winning. In general our coaches have gotten excellent effort out of the team this year though, and most of the time you can see the way they are trying to play. It looks good, our skills aren't always up to it yet though. Tonight was a completely different plan for whatever reason and thats on the coaches for sure
Lots of the players are too inexperienced to tell if they will make it. 12 had less than 20 games tonight. Any team would struggle with that. I'd rather play them and find out, get more high end draft picks. Its a marathon not a sprint. By all means clear out some at the end of this year, I'd look at Mackay, Talia & Crouch if we can get good picks for them, Kelly, I would get rid of Frampton but we signed him, Lynch, Davis, Parnell, Strachan at least. Kids will be inconsistent, tonight they looked clueless, no skills, no effort. I'm much more interested in what the effort is like next week, and who gets dropped. Another effort like that and the heat will rise.
Ultimately though, losing helps us long term as it gets us a better pick. We need them. Losing like today cannot be accepted though so I'm expecting a response. See if I get one.

Question for you and just looking for an honest reply.

Why is it that we are to be accepting of losing and actively putting uncompetitive teams out on the field?

I can point to 2 organizations that do not need to "tank" and are consistently threats to advance in Finals and win Premierships. (Sydney and Geelong)

So why is it that this crap we put out there as our "plan" better? I can point to a half dozen plus squads that have lost for more than a decade straight. Is that really the path we wish to merrily march down?

Why is it that we are to be accepting of losing and actively putting uncompetitive teams out on the field?

I can point to 2 organizations that do not need to "tank" and are consistently threats to advance in Finals and win Premierships. (Sydney and Geelong)

So why is it that this crap we put out there as our "plan" better? I can point to a half dozen plus squads that have lost for more than a decade straight. Is that really the path we wish to merrily march down?

I can accept losing, but I don't accept being uncompetitive. At the start of the season the intensity was higher and we had some "honourable" loses.

We have lost our edge and something needs to change.

We were the only other team which haven't tanked and were able to build a list to contend for the premiership and this is without Sydney's COLA/Academy and Geelong's F&S massive advantage, our lowest draft pick from were we finished on the ladder was pick 7 until last year after we had that massive list turnover then COVID-19 occurred which has set us back a year's development with the new coaches. Like the others have said, this and the GWS game were the only 2 games we were totally uncompetitive so us going down that path is a very big overstatement.

I can accept losing, but I don't accept being uncompetitive. At the start of the season the intensity was higher and we had some "honourable" loses.

We have lost our edge and something needs to change.

I see a hot mess from the top down. This organization is in dire need of a well thought out and articulated path out of this quagmire with people that actually know what the hell they are doing.

I see a hot mess from the top down. This organization is in dire need of a well thought out and articulated path out of this quagmire with people that actually know what the hell they are doing.

No, we have better coaching, ceo and chairman now. Past and present recruiting has handcuffed us for the foreseeable future, they need the blame and hamish/reid need to go right now.

We were the only other team which haven't tanked and were able to build a list to contend for the premiership and this is without Sydney's COLA/Academy and Geelong's F&S massive advantage, our lowest draft pick from were we finished on the ladder was pick 7 until last year after we had that massive list turnover then COVID-19 occurred which has set us back a year's development with the new coaches. Like the others have said, this and the GWS game were the only 2 games we were totally uncompetitive so us going down that path is a very big overstatement.

So let me ask you this....is it a big overstatment to expect Nicks to muster wins against bottom 6 teams? If you want to give him glory for 2 flukish wins then you surely must hold him accountable for his record against sad sack teams

No, we have better coaching, ceo and chairman now. Past and present recruiting has handcuffed us for the foreseeable future, they need the blame and hamish/reid need to go right now.

Not sure what kind of coaching you have been watching the last 2 months but we agree on the rest regarding recruiting

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our midfield cant kick, we're slow, forwards are SANFL standard, our KPPs are babies. What you do you expect?

I expect the bare minimum required of any coach. A team that competes from start to finish and who maximizes the players he has and puts them in the best spots to be successful.

If you are simply out talented I get it and while disliking losing, I understand it.

The simple fact is Nicks has a team that hardly ever plays hard start to finish and rarely puts his team in the best competitive position to try to win.

Do you see more of a mess than you saw 2 years ago? Because we've already made sweeping changes.

I think our main issue is the lack of cattle. We have some nice pieces, but we still don't have enough talent to put appropriate selection pressure on the serial under performers.

I think a lot of that will be addressed in the off season.

So let me ask you this....is it a big overstatment to expect Nicks to muster wins against bottom 6 teams? If you want to give him glory for 2 flukish wins then you surely must hold him accountable for his record against sad sack teams
Like the others and I have said, we've been competitive in all games except the GWS and Essendon games (who both aren't bottom 6 teams) and like all young teams we will be inconsistent so there will be some game were we will play all 4 quarters like we did against Melbourne (who also played very well that night) and we've beaten North, CGS (who are both bottom 6) and Saints (who are currently bottom 7) haven't we?

I expect the bare minimum required of any coach. A team that competes from start to finish and who maximizes the players he has and puts them in the best spots to be successful.

If you are simply out talented I get it and while disliking losing, I understand it.

The simple fact is Nicks has a team that hardly ever plays hard start to finish and rarely puts his team in the best competitive position to try to win.

I think you ask too much of a rebuilding team - of course we will be inconsistent. We've shown some good signs and outdone everyone expectations.

I think you ask too much of a rebuilding team - of course we will be inconsistent. We've shown some good signs and outdone everyone expectations.

Sure..but lowest score EVER. Vs Essendon who are 10th.

Questions should be asked.

Not just "ah they're young". Not sure profile but I would think Ess tonight similar age profile.

Like the others and I have said, we've been competitive in all games except the GWS and Essendon games (who both aren't bottom 6 teams) and like all young teams we will be inconsistent so there will be some game were we will play all 4 quarters like we did against Melbourne (who also played very well that night) and we've beaten North, CGS (who are both bottom 6) and Saints (who are currently bottom 7) haven't we?

2-10 the last 12 games. Thank god for the flukish win over Melbourne. Aside from that highlight Nicks has shown only that he is absolutely in so far over his head it isn't funny

Sure..but lowest score EVER. Vs Essendon who are 10th.

Questions should be asked.

Not just "ah they're young". Not sure profile but I would think Ess tonight similar age profile.
Our team was 11 months younger than the Bombers on average, with 14 sub 50 game players compared to their 9. Difference was the 50-99 game players where they had 8 and we had 3. 100-149 was 2 apiece and 150+ game players was 4 apiece.

2-10 the last 12 games. Thank god for the flukish win over Melbourne. Aside from that highlight Nicks has shown only that he is absolutely in so far over his head it isn't funny
Just like all young teams who will tire mid to late season and I wouldn't call the Melbourne win "flukish" as both team played the entire 4 quarters and was one of the game of the season.

Our team was 11 months younger than the Bombers on average, with 14 sub 50 game players compared to their 9. Difference was the 50-99 game players where they had 8 and we had 3. 100-149 was 2 apiece and 150+ game players was 4 apiece.
Surely you are not counting Mackay as we all know he shouldn't be in the side......

Ok. So we could have expected to lose by 5 goals and not have our lowest ever score.

I dont think people realise how bad that is. About 650 matches? Played in sleet, rain and mud. and this was our lowest ever. Lucky not to lose by 80+

Back