Friday preview is back - with shaun kelly

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 28, 2008
Eastern foot hills.
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill.
Before we jump into things though, let’s set the parameters for the Preview this season. The format of the column each week will be the same as in 2010, in that one game will get the full treatment each week, and the others will receive a short summary (although we know that my short summaries can be on the long side). That one full treatment game may not necessarily be what could be considered as “Match of the Round” each week, as I’m looking to give as many clubs the treatment as possible. I’ll offer a week one disclaimer though, and one designed at those who like to rip off my tips and claim them as my own when submitting their tips in the EFL Vibromania Tipping Competition (which if you haven’t signed up for, do so almost immediately – after you’ve finished reading the Preview, that is!!). I’ll claim all year that tipping is a mug’s game, but round one is a trap for young players – many people get seduced by 2010 form, which may not necessarily hold up early in a new season, and a lot don’t realise just how good recruits from non-EFL backgrounds can be. As such, please don’t take the following tips as gospel early on, as whilst my ear has been close to the ground all pre-season, sometimes I stumble across erroneous information – I’ve already fired one of my snouts after an on-stage gaffe at the EFL Season Launch last week – which tends to light up the Forum and can make me look somewhat silly!! So without any further ado, let’s jump into the action for the first time this season!!

DIVISION THREE – Round One

Templestowe v Warrandyte, Templestowe Reserve

It’s going to be an extremely emotional day at Porter Street tomorrow, as we get a fair dinkum “local derby” to start the division three season. It’s a local derby that we haven’t seen for a few years – Round 14, 2008 to be precise, with the Bloods winning a close one – and one that we will see for at least the next two years, given that there’s set to be no relegation from division three this year (and, hence, nothing to lose for division three clubs by my reckoning!). Emotions will be affirmative all round for Templestowe and why wouldn’t they be – they’ll be unfurling their 2010 division four premiership flag tomorrow, they boasted five members in the 2010 SEN Team of the Year including back-to-back EFL Best and Fairest Kane Maghamez (who, ironically, will be missing from tomorrow’s clash after an indiscretion in the Grand Final gave him an extra two weeks to refine his pre-season training program), and have wooed recruits of the calibre of former Forest Hill pair Aaron Jones and Jeremy Millard. Jordan Wise also comes across from the Ammo’s, a returning Paul De Chellis will help out in the ruck after some time in the Northern Football League, and Aaron and Nick Batsanis have crossed over from Warrandyte.

http://www.efl.org.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2302&tx_ttnews[backPid]=15&cHash=fcbc4763a3

FRIDAY PREVIEW - WITH SHAUN KELLY
April 08, 2011, 02:16 PM AEST

Week one of any EFL season is almost like a teaser weekend; a weekend that the Vegas folk would call a “soft opening”. Only half of the teams we love are in action, yet it’s that good to see local footy doing the rounds in a meaningful way that we tend to forget that the glass is only half-full. This week, it gets filled to the brim as the big boys of the Eastern Football League, divisions one and two, kick things off for what promises to be an extremely interesting season 2011.

http://www.efl.org.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2310&tx_ttnews[backPid]=15&cHash=c9860cd46f

FRIDAY PREVIEW – Friday 15th April 2011

DIVISION ONE – Round 2

East Burwood vs Mulgrave, East Burwood Reserve.

Whilst I can hear Noble Park and Norwood fans bleating about not being given the full treatment this week, keep in mind that not only did we look after the Norsemen last weekend, but this game between the Rams and Lions shapes as possibly one of the most intriguing of the weekend. East Burwood looked the goods last weekend, singing its club song in the clubrooms at the Vermont Recreation Reserve for the first time since 2000 thanks to its 27 point victory over the Eagles. With Adrian Gileno led the way with five goals in a very impressive performance up forward, big Jai Middleton was easily the most dominant big man on the ground and with Tyler Faulkner keeping dangerous Vermont forward Ash Froud to easily one of his quietest days in purple and gold, the Rams looked super-impressive.

http://www.efl.org.au/index.php?id=16&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=2321&tx_ttnews[backPid]=15&cHash=d65e86f18a

Remove this Banner Ad

Back