Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 10, 2011
Weitering
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Bayern München
Hey BigRelationship,

Are you friends with somebody you once dated? As in strictly platonic, no more romantic feelings on either side?

If you were entering in a relationship with someone who was friends with their ex, would this be an issue for you? What boundaries would you expect to be respected?

Thank you!

No. Most of my exes are great people, but trying to turn a relationship into a friendship is just way too messy for my liking. In general I've found it easier to just draw a line under it and move on. That said, my attitude would probably change if we were coparenting a child or something.

I don't have any particular issues or boundaries when it comes to dating someone who is friends with their ex. Someone whose values are compatible with mine doesn't need to be told how to navigate that sort of stuff in a respectful manner.

Yep, I'm great friends with my previous ex. We broke up because of different life circumstances, and later found long term partners of our own. As long as they're respectful of your new partner's boundaries, I haven't found much issue.

You just have to use common sense for the most part. Going for a coffee with them? Fine. Going for a movie? Probably a bit much.

I think it depends why you broke up. If it was for a bad reason, then don't bother. And if you are doing it to try to win them back, either be honest to their face and tell them the truth or don't bother. That's how you waste years of your life.
My ex we sort of just drifted apart over time and so there's really no need to keep up a friendship. No bad feelings between us, but no friendship.

You broke up with them or they broke up with you for a reason. You stay friends, they get hot (because none of you would date anyone attractive imo) and then what? You try and bang them, that's what. New gf finds out and dumps your flabby arse.

Now you don't have any relationships and the ex who got hot doesn't want to get back with you because you're too ugly.

Now you're all alone like the loser your Dad told you you would always be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't really know why you need to be friends with an ex. It's good to be cordial if you're in a similar group but otherwise who gives a sh*t?

Plus my exes (they are shitloads and they're all 9+ obviously) are usually so broken hearted that they can't rejoin society.

wait.

police have been notified

Don't really know why you need to be friends with an ex. It's good to be cordial if you're in a similar group but otherwise who gives a sh*t?

Plus my exes (they are shitloads and they're all 9+ obviously) are usually so broken hearted that they can't rejoin society.

Obviously. Younger than 9 would just be socially unacceptable

Not against the concept but I'm not and tend not to be.
Depends on the nature of relationship. If it was more purely physical that fizzled out then probably not much in common.
If it was also based on friendship and everything was great why break up in the first place?
Life is complex and people and situations change so who knows?
If I saw an ex had reason to be in contact I'd be friendly but wouldn't go out of my way to re involve myself in their life and vice versa

Yep, I'm great friends with my previous ex. We broke up because of different life circumstances, and later found long term partners of our own. As long as they're respectful of your new partner's boundaries, I haven't found much issue.

You just have to use common sense for the most part. Going for a coffee with them? Fine. Going for a movie? Probably a bit much.
There's not really a general rule in this. It depends on the individuals involved.

Once things start getting serious with the new person, they request you ditch the ex, then you have to. What ever works works as long as both are comftable.

But having said that, Narcs always try and stay friends with victims. They didn't Finnish the job last time and always plotting for another go..

I certainly have no issues being friends with ex, if you end on good terms.
In a way, it is natural to be friends forever but circumstances of each others life may mean, you simply do not see each other enough to be a regular contact.
Relationships are unique so hard and fast rules do not make any real sense for everyone.
But having said, that lots of people have hard and fast rules of their relationships, so if you both agree to not keep in contact with ex's, that seems fine too as long as you agree that is what you both agree on.

You broke up with them or they broke up with you for a reason. You stay friends, they get hot (because none of you would date anyone attractive imo) and then what? You try and bang them, that's what. New gf finds out and dumps your flabby arse.
Now you don't have any relationships and the ex who got hot doesn't want to get back with you because you're too ugly.
Now you're all alone like the loser your Dad told you you would always be.

OK, where have you hidden the cameras in my place? Bastard.

My current missus was still friends with her ex, to some degree, when we first started going out. They just ended up slowly drifting apart and that was that.
This.

I mean, not the most recently ex, one from a few relationships back. Drifted well apart since we got together.

She still talks to another ex, first bf from high school, since he's a sparky, but he's not a real sparky and doesn't do anything helpful so I said to stop being friendly to him.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Haven't been in the situation myself but couldn't see a scenario where I would be really keen on them stayikg friends. As Miranda says in in Sex and the City, " they need to not exist"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back