From crisis comes opportunity

Remove this Banner Ad

Cobbler

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 7, 2014
AFL Club
Fremantle
Ok so Fyfe has broken his leg. It's not ideal.

That said, we get an opportunity to run some youngsters through the middle for a solid 15+ weeks.

When he returns (which I now hope is next year) he slots into CHF along with McCarthy. Our youngsters have developed some time in the middle and along with Bennell's inclusion we have a new look modern midfield. We have an out and out star at CHF.

Sneak in Hooker down back and you have a spine that consists of Peace, Hooker, Fyfe and McCarthy.

Pav will obviously go one more year and sit in the goal square and we win a premiership on Pavs 400th (note I haven't done the maths on this and in fact he may be 20 games short)

Peel also win the flag with Suban best on field.

It's been written and I don't see any obvious flaws in this post.

I just have a feeling McCarthy will be a massive mistake if he costs us. If he comes free he will be worth it.

The guy needed to toughen up and play with GWS this year. Does he not realise every 2nd week we travel?

OK, I'll play. Fyfe to come back next year, resting his leg AND his back. The team will learn to play a style that isn't carried by either Pav or Fyfe.

Freo won't get Hooker but will get McCarthy and a 1-3 pick. They will choose a promising KPD. Because the team is going nowhere this year, A Pearce will be left down back and will be an established KPD this time next year.

A whole lot of youngsters will get their chances and they will rotate them so as not to cook them. Hughes will be the new swingman. Morabito will definitely be upgraded and will play a few games and gradually get his groove back. Apeness will be a decent ruck/forward and towards the end of the year Irish will show something as a forward. Yarran will kick some goals.

Hughes in for Johnno
Blakely in for Fyfe

they would be the obvious changes this week if we do go for young talent, otherwise we could see DeBoer and Ibbo in.
Interesting in the presser Ross said we can't just bring in young players and teach them to play like this, he could be erring on going full youth.

Bizarre as it sounds, with fyfe, sandi, mundy and johnno down, our plodders are now our greatest asset.

Ross is absolutely right about our youth - bringing them in now en mass, only to have them thumped week after week, does nobody any favours. That's when they learn both bad habits and a pervasive losing mindset which can inhibit their growth and long-term potential (look at Jack Watts).

Having our more experienced senior plodders back in the side will provide younger players a bit of padding, and stop us having to consistently throw our budding stars to the wolves on their own (as GWS and GC were pretty much forced to do).

Granted with Suban, MTB, Gu, Clancy, Barlow, ibbo, Snoz and Griff in the same side, we're probably not going to win a heap of games, but at least Langdon, Blakeley, hughes, morra, tucker, weller and Apeness won't be forced to do all the heavy lifting on their own while our best midfied/defensive players all get back on their feet.

I think the big opportunity comes in game plan.

No one expects anything now.

Loosen the chains and try and break up this stagnant back and centre area. No more flooding back. Play with a traditional deeper forward line and give these young kids targets to kick to.

We need to hone the way we want to move the ball.

Ok so Fyfe has broken his leg. It's not ideal.

That said, we get an opportunity to run some youngsters through the middle for a solid 15+ weeks.

When he returns (which I now hope is next year) he slots into CHF along with McCarthy. Our youngsters have developed some time in the middle and along with Bennell's inclusion we have a new look modern midfield. We have an out and out star at CHF.

Sneak in Hooker down back and you have a spine that consists of Peace, Hooker, Fyfe and McCarthy.

Pav will obviously go one more year and sit in the goal square and we win a premiership on Pavs 400th (note I haven't done the maths on this and in fact he may be 20 games short)

Peel also win the flag with Suban best on field.

It's been written and I don't see any obvious flaws in this post.
I was with you all the way.....Until you mentioned Suban winning something and then I knew you were not been serious ;)!!

I actually think all of the established younger brigade Pearce, Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Neale, Weller, Langdon, Crozier have shown enough and are young enough to be given some rein. All bar probably Sutcliffe were quoted as being creative types when they came through the door. Let them express themselves and show what they can/can't do.

I actually think all of the established younger brigade Pearce, Sheridan, Sutcliffe, Neale, Weller, Langdon, Crozier have shown enough and are young enough to be given some rein. All bar probably Sutcliffe were quoted as being creative types when they came through the door. Let them express themselves and show what they can/can't do.

I also think we need to go back to the very basics of playing people in their positions.

Crozier is a small forward with X factor. Play him there.
Pearce is a solid defender. Keep him there.
Taberner is a lead up forward. Stop expecting him to kick bags.

Etc etc.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I just have a feeling McCarthy will be a massive mistake if he costs us. If he comes free he will be worth it.

The guy needed to toughen up and play with GWS this year. Does he not realise every 2nd week we travel?

I often wonder if he is best for Freo, and especially if he costs a decent pick or 2. I think clubs rebuilding need to invest their drafting & trading into guys you can back to come through adversity. Like all rebuilds it will be full of tough times. McCarthy is worth a crack but I wouldnt be giving much up for him

Perhaps when the pressure to make the finals is off it will free the players up a bit. Its seems to me that they have been playing with the world on their shoulders

I think its this simple.. " The Monkey is Off the Back" of a few mentally frail players. Now we have the opportunity to play with no fear and nothing to lose. :thumbsu:
If we do that, I reckon we could actually make the 8.

Its up to you ROSS to pull the players and coaches and "everybody" together to attempt to WIN OUT.... :eek:

ITs just time to get down, dirty;), angry and loyal; and playing for each other for the fans and for the foes.

I think the big opportunity comes in game plan.

No one expects anything now.

Loosen the chains and try and break up this stagnant back and centre area. No more flooding back. Play with a traditional deeper forward line and give these young kids targets to kick to.

We need to hone the way we want to move the ball.

Sounds good Lach, but Ross won't do it

I cannot see is overpaying for McCarthy, and certainly hope a top draft pick would be off limits. No doubt he has potential but he officially comes with baggage now and may never reach that potential. I also would not have him ahead of the possible gubbins KPPs available early in the draft such as Battle.

McCarthy is the right pick up. We'd be stupid not to. But looking at how much weight he's lost, and how little footy he's going to play this year, I doubt he'll be ready to slot into the side round 1.

So my hopes for 2017 are that Apeness kicks 100 goals for the year, and Fyfe proposes to me in his Brownlow speech.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back