PC2011/12RP From death - Melbourne FC 2013

Remove this Banner Ad

yza8.jpg

2013 AFL Grand Final

Sydney: 17.6. (108)
Adelaide: 16.7. (103

Goals: Swans: K.Tippett -4, M. Morton -4, J.Kennedy -2, A. Goodes -2, R. OKeefe -2
Adelaide: L. Johnston -6, T. Walker -3, R. Henderson -2

Best: Swans: M. Morton, A. Goodes, R. OKeefe, T. Richards, S. Reid
Adelaide: S. Jacobs, S. Thompson, J. Porplyzia, T. Walker, B. Vince

Norm Smith Medallist: Sam Jacobs (Adel) - 24 possessions, 9 marks, 19 hitouts, 3 tackles and 6 inside 50’s

Crowd: 92,156​

yza8.jpg

2013 AFL player retierments

Dustin Fletcher: Essendon: 352 AFL games – 19 seasons
Dustin Fletcher has been around for ever and has been one of the best ever players to put on a Bombers jumper. "Go go gadget" Bombers fans have called him for many years finally hangs up the boots after 19 seasons with the Bombers. Fletcher has been a great defender since coming into the competition and the professionalism he brings to the sport and they way he has adapted to the changing game has been unique and it just won't be the same seeing the Bombers without their skinny champion running around.

Lenny Hayes - St.Kilda: 260 AFL games - 13 seasons
St.Kilda work horse Lenny Hayes has hung up the boots after starring in 260 AFL matches for the Saints. Out of those 260 comes 2 Grand Final matches against the Pies in 2010, but the Saints champion wasn't able to win the ultimate prize. Hayes has been a champion of the competition over many years and really had a damaging partnership with the Saints midfield in Lenny Hayes, Robert Harvey and Luke Ball in the Saints premiership window.

Dean Cox - West Coast: 225 AFL games – 11 seasons
Dean Cox's retirement comes a suprise to many after he was named All-Australian at seasons end, but the Eagles big man has called it a day on his 225 AFL career. Cox has changed the way ruckman impact the game now days, his athletism and the way he covers the ground for some one as big as Cox, it's just like adding another midfielder onto the ground. He has a canny way of being able to get midfielder like numbers throughout the game and goes forward to kick plenty of goals throughout his career. It wil be a relief to most opposition players now not having to deal with the infamous Cox-Naitanui combination when facing the Eagles.

Andrew Embley – West Coast: 227 AFL games – 13 seasons
Andrew Embley is the second Eagle to announce his retirement from the game. Embley has battled injuries and suspension over the past couple of years which has seen his form drop off considerably, but you can't question that this guy was a champion player in his day. He was a pivital part of the 2005-2006 Grand Final matches against the Swans, and he was very reliable with the ball. Embley won't go down as big of a champion as the rest of the guys who have retired at the end of this season, but the character of the guy won't let that phase him as he was a champion in his own right.

1mia.jpg

AFL Coaching News
Some big news coming from 2 clubs this afternoon with the sacking of 2 senior coaches after poor seasons in 2013. Brisbane Lions coach Michael Voss and West Coast Eagles coach John Worsfold have both been told by their respective clubs that this was their last and will no longer require their services in 2014. Michael Voss you could argue had the tougher calls of the two with the 3x Premiership captain taking over a very young Brisbane list and taking them to a 15th position this year with 4 wins on the board. Voss and the Lions weren't able to hit their straps in 3 seasons with Voss in charge and although we saw considerable improvement, the change needed to be made.

Huge expectations were on the Eagles and John Worsfold in 2013. Many believed the club could be a flag contender and would certainly push for top 4. The Eagles did make the 8 in 2013, but not meeting targets and deadlines the Eagles have sacked their favourite son and believed it needed a new start.

Both sides were quick to name an accessor to both coaches with ex-Geelong coach and ex-Bombers assistant coach Mark "Bomber" Thompson now at the helm of the Brisbane Lions, while ex-Carlton coach Brett Ratten has been given the job as Eagles coach in 2014.

1mia.jpg

2013 AFL Best and Fairest winners
Adelaide: Patrick Dangerfield
Brisbane: Jonathan Brown
Carlton: Marc Murphy
Collingwood: Travis Cloke
Essendon: Jobe Watson
Footscray: Adam Cooney
Fremantle: Matthew Pavlich
Geelong: Paul Chapman
Gold Coast: Gary Ablett
Hawthorn: Lance Franklin
Melbourne: Nathan Jones
North Melbourne: Drew Petrie
Port Adelaide: Kane Cornes
Richmond: Jack Riewoldt
Sydney: Adam Goodes
West Coast: Adam Selwood

isvl.jpg

AFL Trade Week
Trade 1 completed: The first trade of the week has been completed here on day 1 of the 7 day event, and straight from the bat the Melbourne football club have been involved with the first trade.

Melbourne and their coaching staff had said early on from the start of the 2013 season that they would be big movers in the Trade week period and it only took them 40 minutes to get the first paperwork in and here is what happened.

Pick 19 to Adelaide
Matthew Wright to Melbourne
So the first trade in this weeks AFL trade week has seen a player movement with Matthew Wright, the Adelaide Crow midfielder/forward heading to the Melbourne Demons, with the Demons departing their 19th pick in the National Draft to Adelaide.
This comes on the back of Wright who had a stellar 2012 season really helping the Adelaide midfield as he started the year off as a run with player, but slowly upped his game to becoming an attacking midfielder. Wright played all 25 games for the Crows last year including the Grand Final loss and again had a wonderful season through the midfield and kicking 10 goals for the year.
We caught up with the new Melbourne recruit earlier...

Matthew Wright: Yeah look i am excited about coming to the Demons in 2014. Happy to be at the club and looking forward to getting a new start on my career. The Grand Final loss last year with the Crows has really dug deep and it's something i will never forget and coming so close to the cup is dissapointing, but we move on now, new home, new enviroment, new start.
Why the Melbourne football club? You played every game for Adelaide last year, why the change to a club that has been struggling in recent times? Theres no doubt about that the club is struggling and i did play every game including the decider last year, but look Adelaide have a lot of great young players coming through, you know guys like Crouch, Kerridge, Lyons, Laird, Brown and Grigg so i just saw those guys maybe getting games ahead of me and thought to keep my own career in check that i needed a fresh start to be able to consistantly put myself on the park and improve. I've always loved Melbourne (the city) and looking forward to the challenges ahead.

isvl.jpg

AFL Trade Week
Other Trade News

Some other trade news to come out of the day, and we have had a busy first day of trades with another 12 trades coming through until the deadlock at 5pm.
Here is what happened during the day.

Trade 2: Picks 38 & 69 to Richmond - Luke McGuane to Hawthorn
Trade 3: Adam Cooney to North Melbourne - Daniel Wells & Picks 28, 48 to the Western Bulldogs
Trade 4: Matt Thomas to Adelaide - Richard Tambling & Picks 38, 53 to Port Adelaide
Trade 5: Daniel Jackson to Brisbane - Picks 40, 74 to Richmond
Trade 6: Nick Duigan to the Western Bulldogs - Pick 42 to Carlton
Trade 7: Beau Maister to the Western Bulldogs - Tom Williams to St.Kilda
Trade 8: Scott D.Thompson to Fremantle - Pick 43 to North Melbourne
Trade 9: Zac Dawson to Gold Coast - Matthew Warnock to Fremantle
Trade 10: Pick 19 to Brisbane - Brent Moloney to Adelaide
Trade 11: Jay Schulz to Brisbane - Brent Staker to Port Adelaide
Trade 12: Aaron Edwards to Gold Coast - Pick 41 to Richmond
Trade 13: Pick 18 to Gold Coast - Michael Rischitelli to Port Adelaide
Some pretty big moves happened on day 1 of the AFL trade week. Adam Cooney has finally broken the shackles of being a Bulldog and was involved with a deal which saw him now at the Kangaroos while Daniel Wells who has been ok without being brilliant for the Roos now sees himself at the kennel in 2014. Daniel Jackson has gone to the Brisbane Lions in return for picks 40 & 74 to re-invent his career as the Tigers youngsters are starting to move past him in the midfield. Adelaide had on traded their pick 19 in which they recieved for Matt Wright from the Demons, they ontraded that to the Brisbane Lions and recieved Brent Moloney the ex-Demon after spending only the 1 season with the Lions and now at his 4th club having played for Geelong, Melbourne, Brisbane and now the Crows.

Port Adelaide and the Western Bulldogs two other struggling teams were active in the first day of trading with the Bulldogs getting in total Daniel Wells, Beau Maister, Nick Duigan, picks 28 & 48, while the Brisbane Lions will be happy with their trading here on the opening day recieving, Daniel Jackson, Jay Schulz and Pick 19​

isvl.jpg

AFL Trade Week
Melbourne have been involved with their 2nd trade of the week early on in day 2. Some maybe quiet surprised with this move but James Sellar is on the move to the Gold Coast while hard nut defender Campbell Brown is headed to the Demons. That's right, the Hawthorn premiership player, Campbell Brown who has spent 2 seasons on the Gold Coast helping out the Suns defenders and mentoring them has moved back home to Victoria and landed himself at the Demons in 2014. We caught up with the hard nosed defender/forward after the news was broke on AFL.com.au

Campbell Brown to Melbourne - James Sellar to the Gold Coast

Good to be back in Melbourne Campbell? Mate it's always good to be back home. I did my stint up their at the Suns and learnt a lot from the young enviroment and was able to help their defenders development and hopefully they can be a succesfull football club. I never intended on staying there for too long, i always wanted to come back to Victoria after my contract was up and the club knew that, and wether i went back to Hawthorn or found another club like i have with the Demons is great for me.

You are 29 years old, some people would think it's odd the a team like the Demons who have all been about "youth" would recruit someone topping their 20's? Well i guess yeah people would find that odd. I've got a deal with the Melbourne footy club where they want me to do what i did up at the Suns and just provide that bit of extra experience for the young defenders coming through. I mean blokes like Dan Nicholson, Jimmy Toumpas, Sam Blease, Jordie McKenzie and James Magner i will work with these guys and teach them a few things, i won't be playing all of the games available, i am more of a playing assistant coach if you can call it that.

isvl.jpg

AFL Trade Week
Some more news is coming out of the Melbourne football club and that is the news that the club has been involved in their 3rd trade and second for the day and it involves the Brisbane Lions.
Melbourne and Brisbane have been good to each other in recent years and active with trades as Brent Moloney and Stefan Martin both landed themselves at the Lions in last years trade while Mitch Clark who now finds himself as pivtal part of the Demons forward structure played for the Lions.

The paperwork has just been put through and here is the 3rd trade for the Melbourne Demons....

Jed Adcock to Melbourne - Joel Macdonald to Brisbane

So looks as though Melbourne have started targeting experienced small defenders with Jed Adcock now a Demon in 2014. Campbell Brown earlier in the day and now the Lions ex-co-captain. Joel Macdonald who originally started his career at the Lions has found his way back home where he first began. Adcock has played 9 seasons with the Brisbane Lions starting back in 2004 has seen a struggling side of the Lions, but now heads to Aami Park to bring experience to the Melbourne back line. Melbourne have always stated that the Defense is a weakness of the club and through trade week they'd rectify that and that's what they are doing with both Brown and Adcock now in the side. At age 26, Adcock has played 122 games and is at the right age bracket that the Demons are looking for to bring into the club to get this side back on track.

isvl.jpg

AFL Trade Week
Other Trade News
Trade 16: Matthew Maguire to Port Adelaide - Tom Logan & Pick 72 to Brisbane
Trade 17: Matt Spangher to Richmond - Picks 40, 69, 74 to Hawthorn
Trade 18: Thomas Murphy to Sydney - Picks 54, 71 to Gold Coast
Trade 19: Andrew Raines to Geelong - Picks 44, 61 to Brisbane
Trade 20: Pick 39 to Brisbane - Joel Patfull to Gold Coast

Some minor trades to round out day 2 of the Trade week, and this is where things start to get quiet. Most trades are done within the first 1-2 days and maybe you'll get the odd couple done throughout the rest of time. Melbourne have declared that they are still on the hunt and will still be active in this trade period so watch more on them and the up-coming days.

isvl.jpg

AFL Trade Week

Huge news coming out of the Melbourne camp on day 3 of the Gillette AFL trade period is that Jack Watts has been involved in a trade earlier this morning, the official paper work hasn't come through yet but we believe here at AFL.com.au that Jack Watts is headed to the Gold Coast Suns and Seb Tape, the Gold Coast young defender is apart of that deal and headed to the Demons in 2014.

Official paperwork has come through and we can give it to you live that Jack Watts, the former number 1 draft pick for the Demons and Draft pick 39 are headed to the Gold Coast Suns and young 20 year old Seb Tape is headed to Melbourne.

Jack Watts & Pick 39 to Gold Coast - Seb Tape to Melbourne

We caught up with Melbourne coach Hayden Sumner after the news was recieved...

Big news to kick start day 3 Hayden? Yeah look it is. Jack came to us at the end of the year and said that he let himself down throughout the year and wasn't playing to his best and we reconized that and we had plenty of chats & meetings with Jack throughout the year, so we knew that he for himself needed and wanted a fresh start at a new club and we were happy to negociate with him and the right club to get the deal done.

A former number 1 draft pick leaving the club, is there something else behind it that the media don't know? Oh well, i wouldn't think so. I mean Jack has been at the club for 4 years now and everyone has seen that under the spotlight of being a number 1 draft pick there is going to be limitations on himself and through the general public to perform so Jack was the first one to put his hand up to say he isn't working hard enough and we aknowledged that and it's better for the club and player if both parties parted ways in 2014. Jack played 22 games for us last year, mainly as a defender but he was just out of form for majority of the year and we tried him forward but we just didn't get the consistency we would of liked from him.

In return you pick up another young talent in Seb Tape. We do yeah, we've been watching Seb for a while now and mainly through the middle part of last year with the Suns we had been interested in the kid so we were keen to get him across. He was taken with pick 13 so a very highly rated youngster who will slot nicely into our defense alongside Frawley, Garland, Adcock, Brown and Toumpas i'm sure. He is only 20 so the kid is still growing and has only played the 21 games last year for the Suns and looked really comfortable at AFL level so we are really excited to have Seb on board and a Centre Half Back for the next 10 years (I hope).

isvl.jpg

AFL Trade Week
The last trade in this years Gillette AFL Trade period has been signed and delivered and it involves again the Melbourne football club. It reads this...

Luke Tapscott & Shannon Byrnes to Adelaide - Richard Douglas to Melbourne

Richard Douglas joins his mate Matthew Wright in becoming a Demon this afternoon as the paperwork is cleared through as the last trade of 2013. Luke Tapscott and Shannon Byrnes who both featured heavily for the Demons in 2013 have been traded to the Crows. Douglas had a interupted season with the Crows in 2013 playing the 18 games for the club but really stamping his name on the game and becoming a regular in the Crows midfield after building his tank during the pre season. Douglas kicked 13.3 for the year and will be a valuable assest to the Demons midfield group which alreay looks dangerous heading into 2014. Jack Trengove, Nathan Jones, Jack Grimes, Colin Sylvia, Richard Douglas, Matthew Wright, Jordie McKenzie, Rory Taggert just to name a few.
Douglas has played 96 games for the Crows and well no doubt notch his 100th game early in the season for the Demons and at 25 has a lot of great footy left in him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

isvl.jpg

Melbourne Trade week summary
As promised Melbourne had been very active in the Trade period this year and kicking things off just 40 minutes into the week with the first trade. Here is a look at what the Demons did throughout the week.

IN: Matthew Wright, Campbell Brown, Jed Adcock, Seb Tape and Richard Douglas
OUT: Pick 19, James Sellar, Joel Macdonald, Jack Watts, Pick 39, Luke Tapscott, Shannon Byrnes

And we caught up with Melbourne Senior coach Hayden Sumner on this years Trade period.

Overall very happy with this years trade period. I mean we set out throughout the year and always tried to find ways to improve our list. Defense was our weakness and i though we really added some experience over the trade week. Campbell Brown and Jed Adcock both bring years of experience to the club, with Brown playing in a Premiership and Adcock being around an enviroment when he first started his career that just came off 3 premierships is going to benifit the club in the long run. Both players have plenty of experience and will teach the young guys down in defense how to read the game a lot better. Seb Tape is going to be a beauty and we're really excited to have such a great young talent come into the club and the guys like Frawley and Garland are stocked to have him down at the club, so hopefully he can slot nicely into the side and play well for us.
And then we've got the boys from Adelaide. Douglas and Wright are two very similar type players. Both are probably mainly small forwards who can play midfield. Douglas worked on his tank and played more midfield for the Crows last year, while Wright sort of backed away a bit and played more as a small forward/half forward flanker. Both again have come from a succesful club who played off in a Grand Final last year so their experience will be invaluable to our young guys through the middle of the ground.

vpzt.jpg

National Draft Selections
Pick 2: Drew Palmer – Woodville West Torrrens - 184cm, 87kg
Biography: Drew Palmer is a super prospect a and was easily considered for a top 5 pick. He played majority of the under 18 competition as a run-with-role but worked on his attacking side of the game as well. Palmer doesn’t have the speed like a lot of the midfielders in the AFL, but he did record a 13.3 in this year’s beep test at the National draft combined. He also recorded a 10.55 for the 3km run which was the best 3 in the competition, so there is no question about his endurance. His kicking efficiency was up there with the best in the combined as well with 68%. The young man has good leadership qualities and will bring a breath of fresh air to the Demons who are struggling at the moment with real leaders around the club. Palmer throughout the competition had really good intensity around the contest often winning the contested ball.
Pick 22: Zackary Hinchcliffe: Dandenong Stingrays - 181cm 85kg
Biography: Zac Hinchcliffe is all class – the complete package. He is a livewire small forward who will quickly become a crowd favourite among the Demon faithful. Hinchcliffe has elite agility, and is a deadly accurate set shot for goal boasting in a impressive 80% kicking efficiency at the draft combine. He is very quick off the mark for the first 20 meters with 2.97 seconds and in the 2 games he played in the under 18’s championships, Hinchcliffe recorded 23 possessions against WA and 22 possessions, 7 clearances against SA. The Demons have been screaming out for a small forward as Aaron Davey is nearing the end of his career, and Hinchcliffe answered. He will learn a lot from Davey in the coming 6 months and should be ready for Round 1 barring injury.
Pick 56: Sebastian Goodyear: Calder Cannons – 187cm, 89kg
Biography: Goodyear should develop into a fine footballer. Nothing special about him, he is a genuine and powerful outside midfielder, who can go forward and kick goals. Goodyear possesses exceptional break away speed and regularly finds a target with good footskills. He has an elite motor and will wear down opponents.
Goodyear played in all 4 championship matches this year and really stamped his mark. 23 possessions 1.1 vs WA in game 1. His best game for the championship in round 2 vs the Allies with 37 possessions, 6 tackles and 9 inside 50’s.
A quieter game against the VIC Metro with 14 possessions and 5 tackles, and his last game against VIC Country and 23 touches and 4 tackles.
Pick 73: Donovan Mullard - NSW/ACT - 185cm, 87kg

Pick 90: Omar Hewinson - Glenelg - 192cm, 96kg

Pick 107: Zackary Woodley – Bendigo Pioneers - 194cm, 99kg

Pick 124: Joseph Hennsworth - North Ballarat - 193cm, 96kg

vpzt.jpg

Pre Season National Draft

Pick 2: Sam Michael - Ruckman: 199cm, 98kg
Pick 19: Jonathan Ceglar – Ruckman: 203cm, 83kg

Rookie Draft

Pick 2: Chase Rule - Tall Defender - 193cm, 97kg
Pick 19: David Rigg - Midfielder - 188cm, 86kg
Pick 36: Steven Johnson – Small Forward - 187cm, 85kg
Pick 53: Jose Derrick - Tall Defender - 192cm, 95kg

vpzt.jpg

New Player numbers

Jumper 1: Seb Tape
Jumper 3: Richard Douglas
Jumper 4: Rory Taggert > 43
Jumper 7: Jed Adcock
Jumper 10: Matthew Wright
Jumper 16: Drew Palmer
Jumper 18: Jonathan Ceglar
Jumper 21: Stephen Wrigley
Jumper 22: Zachary Hinchcliffe
Jumper 24: David Mullard
Jumper 25: Omar Hewinson
Jumper 27: Sam Michael
Jumper 28: Sebastian Goodyear
Jumper 29: Zachary Woodley
Jumper 30: Campbell Brown
Jumper 34: Justin Clarke
Jumper 35: Chase Rule
Jumper 39: Steven Johnston
Jumper 41: Joseph Hennsworth
Jumper 42: David Rigg
Jumper 44: Jose Derrick

46jy.jpg

Demons hire expert help
The Melbourne football club and it's head coach Hayden Sumner have brought in some experienced heads ahead of the 2014 AFL premierhip season with veteran coaches Malcolm Blight and Matthew Knights to join in on the club and use them as specialist coaches at training and on game day. Both of these men who have coached AFL teams have major experience in the coaching box and Knights has a really good way of dealing with the young talent in the side.

Melbourne have also bought in Dean Laidley to be his Senior Assistant Coach, as he was by himself for most of last year and never really hit his straps as senior coach. With the help of Laidley who coached North Melbourne, Dean brings a lot of tactics and good communication to the role.

Here is a look at the Melbourne coaching setup in 2014.

Head Coach: Hayden Sumner
Senior Assistant Coach: Dean Laidley
Midfield Coach: Scott West
Forward Coach: Josh Mahoney
Defence Coach: Matthew Ladd (new)
Fitness Coach: Joel Hocking
Ruck Coach: Alec Bartlam (new)
Youth Coach: Ian Flack
Specialist Coach: Malcolm Blight & Matthew Knights

Remove this Banner Ad

Back