Opinion From Debutant to...?

Remove this Banner Ad

We currently have 12 players on our senior & rookie list who are yet to debut, plus Lamb (1 game), Karpany (1) and Cole (2), which I feel is very high number for where our list is at.

Obviously solid intel on these blokes is fairly low, but it would interesting to predict how we think some of these blokes will go, and whether we have a few future-champions coming through the ranks.

Inevitably a few will never play, but there are surely a few who are looking like they are a chance as early as next year.

I've done a list of who I think will have the best career to worst.

Daniel Venables - Will be one of our top mids in a few years, spending time forward/midfield, once he gets over his injuries he'll prove why he was taken so high. Hopefully a debut in 2017.

Luke Partington - Had a good year in WAFL last year, found a lot of the ball and will look to continue to improve this year, training well and is filling his body out to be AFL ready. He could become that accumulator that we need.

Tom Cole - Looked good in his 2 games and can see him being a mainstay in our backline once Butler/Wellingham/Hurn move on. Could push for midfield, but might be better suited staying back.

Mathew Allen - A roughie to breakout, I love looking at his stats at Glenelg a few years ago, he's capable of some massive games. Too good for reserves level, hopefully gets a real go at league as West Coast will be looking for a few forwards to be coming through.

Tom Lamb - Appears to be getting serious about his footy this pre-season, has the makings of a great player who could be a dangerous forward. If he continues to work hard he has the potential to be a star player.

Jake Waterman - Will get a lot of opportunity when our forwards start to retire, shown a lot of promise at a young age, with a few issues that can be rectified. Finds a lot of the ball for a forward, fits a need.

Willie Rioli - Could be anything, no doubt will be given a lot of opportunity given our lack of smalls. Has turned his body around and has all the tricks of a typical Rioli, certainly the most exciting, athleticism will restrict him to just the Small Forward role, but could be very good.

Francis Watson - All reports indicate he's got some great skills and offers something different to what we have already. A very dedicated person who will take his chances and make the most of them, I'll back him to be a very good rebounding defender.

Josh Rotham - Early days, but seems a very safe option. Will learn off some excellent players down back and could be looking to replace Schofield as a 3rd tall in a few years.

Malcolm Karpany - Been given a lot of time, 1 game in to his career which was a promising game, but will need to really step it up if he's to survive on the list.

Kurt Mutimer - A lot of reserves last year where he racked it up despite injury. Not sure he's going to make it at AFL level.

Tarir Bayok - A real unknown, can't call how he'll go. Love the skill set he has, but whether he's got what it takes at AFL level is the test. Could be one of the biggest draft steals.

Paddy Brophy - Been given time and had a good year for EP finishing 3rd in B&F, I think others are ahead of him for a likely half-back role however. I hope he gets an opportunity at the top level.

Jordan Snadden - Playing a lot of reserves, will need to really prove himself to get a promotion off the rookie list (and hope for another few injuries perhaps). Think he'll miss out though.

Thomas Gorter - I simply don't know anything about him to make an informed enough opinion of his prospects.

Thoughts?
Delist the lot and start again

Sounds about right, can't see why we picked up another mid/forward with our first draft pick this year. Questionable?
Venables has all the traits of a mid that we have been crying out for. who are the other geniune mid/fwds we have? The only one that comes to mind is yeo but he was a defender. Venables looks like a nice pick up for midfield that lacks a bit of explosiveness and flare.

Venables has all the traits of a mid that we have been crying out for. who are the other geniune mid/fwds we have? The only one that comes to mind is yeo but he was a defender. Venables looks like a nice pick up for midfield that lacks a bit of explosiveness and flare.
Dustin Martin 2.0 please

Thomas Gorter : Improving basically every game in 2016 . Looked a better player than Emac later in the season , so could be a surprise and pushing for that Schofield big defending rebounder spot in front of him . In the final against Peel which was almost a dockers team Gorter was East Perths best for mine by a stretch .

Thomas Gorter : Improving basically every game in 2016 . Looked a better player than Emac later in the season , so could be a surprise and pushing for that Schofield big defending rebounder spot in front of him . In the final against Peel which was almost a dockers team Gorter was East Perths best for mine by a stretch .
This is gonna stir up a few of the Emac fan boys.

What's Gorter's height/weight?

Could he take the big forwards or is he more a third tall?

Really liked his highlights package.

I've sort of grouped those 3 forwards together, kind of split the difference that one or two will make it.

Lamb I'm thinking could be a surprise for 2017 based on his pre-season form.
I think a lot of his issues are his application to the game, which he appears to be rectifying.
Thought most of his issues were his arrogance and attitude?

While I like Venables I'll feel alot more comfortable when he's stringing games together over a period of time. Could easily see him becoming a pure forward but if he fulfilled his midfield potential we'll have a gem.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought most of his issues were his arrogance and attitude?
I think that's what nameless meant by 'his application to the game' meaning he has now pulled his finger out and stopped thinking he is gods gift and is now putting the hard yards in.
While I like Venables I'll feel alot more comfortable when he's stringing games together over a period of time. Could easily see him becoming a pure forward but if he fulfilled his midfield potential we'll have a gem.
Yeah, Simo seems to value flexibility and i think this was the driving factor behind drafting him. If he can play mostly half foward for a few years and then develop his midfield game like Dustin Martin, we'll have a real weapon.

BUMP

5 left off that list - 2 with serious *** over their names. Interesting to see how quickly thing change.

Willie Rioli - Could be anything, no doubt will be given a lot of opportunity given our lack of smalls. Has turned his body around and has all the tricks of a typical Rioli, certainly the most exciting, athleticism will restrict him to just the Small Forward role, but could be very good.

Tom Cole - Looked good in his 2 games and can see him being a mainstay in our backline once Butler/Wellingham/Hurn move on. Could push for midfield, but might be better suited staying back.

Jake Waterman - Will get a lot of opportunity when our forwards start to retire, shown a lot of promise at a young age, with a few issues that can be rectified. Finds a lot of the ball for a forward, fits a need.

Josh Rotham - Early days, but seems a very safe option. Will learn off some excellent players down back and could be looking to replace Schofield as a 3rd tall in a few years.

Daniel Venables - Will be one of our top mids in a few years, spending time forward/midfield, once he gets over his injuries he'll prove why he was taken so high. Hopefully a debut in 2017.

Draft night 2016 in Sydney.

Attachments

• E5B46800-F255-4DFF-82B8-97C19D5A5725.jpeg
    E5B46800-F255-4DFF-82B8-97C19D5A5725.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 81
  • FCCFE36D-DE24-4549-BFAB-E5FB0890372C.jpeg
    FCCFE36D-DE24-4549-BFAB-E5FB0890372C.jpeg
    85.6 KB · Views: 78
  • FF8B9468-B043-4B16-98CF-EBB9042B2BF2.jpeg
    FF8B9468-B043-4B16-98CF-EBB9042B2BF2.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 75
BUMP

5 left off that list - 2 with serious *** over their names. Interesting to see how quickly thing change.

Good bump.

Tom Lamb was supposedly a bit slider in the draft due to his attitude and still was a top 30 pick iirc. Managed to debut in round 1 of his first year and never seen again. Pretty incredible really. Anyone know what he's up to these days? Did the Saints look at him at one point?

Early calls on Rioli and Cole look spot on.

Good bump.

Tom Lamb was supposedly a bit slider in the draft due to his attitude and still was a top 30 pick iirc. Managed to debut in round 1 of his first year and never seen again. Pretty incredible really. Anyone know what he's up to these days? Did the Saints look at him at one point?

Early calls on Rioli and Cole look spot on.

Can't seem to find any recent news about Lamb, might not be playing any more

Random fact with Tom Lamb, his dad also played AFL and between them neither of them played in a winning team
0-1-21

His maternal grand father was Ian Cooper who was a premiership winning player with St Kilda, so winning comes from his mum's side of the family apparently.

Random fact with Tom Lamb, his dad also played AFL and between them neither of them played in a winning team
0-1-21

His maternal grand father was Ian Cooper who was a premiership winning player with St Kilda, so winning comes from his mum's side of the family apparently.

Distant cousin Dwayne did alright though.

A well meaning thread at the time, but goes to show how our expectations can often exceed reality, or what the footy gods have in store for us - future predicting is littered with casualties, but is still one of the funnest things to do on a footy site!
There's nothing like the excitement of new players coming in and what they might turn into, watching the preseason development and the build up of expectations just before round 1.
Ah footy, bring it on! That window is wide open (again)...

0-1-21

Ian "Brolga" Cooper also played for Swan Districts in 1970 and 71. Was club leading goal kicker both years. From memory he played forward/ruck and might have represented WA in a state game. Was very slight, thinner than Notte, thus the nickname Brolga which was bestowed on him by J K Watts.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back