• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bluey24

Club Legend
Oct 17, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Carlton
Of the last 20 years, here is the list of the best performing teams who finished last the previous season....

1548031461489.png

When I started pulling these stats together, I thought it could be depressing reading for us. However, it kinda shows that a jump up the ladder of 3-4 spots isn't too uncommon for teams who finished last....

We're more than capable of jumping up to 13-15th this year (then KAPOW in 2020 :fire:)

Best to wait just before the season starts and evaluate all teams by way of their injury list and how much pre-season the better players have had.
If for instance Martin was out for 12+ weeks, I'd take Richmond out of finals contention.

For us, we're not off to a great start losing Docherty and then even Pickett.
i don't know where we'll finish but it won't solely be up to us. What happens to other teams' fortunes has an impact on ours.

Best to wait just before the season starts and evaluate all teams by way of their injury list and how much pre-season the better players have had.
If for instance Martin was out for 12+ weeks, I'd take Richmond out of finals contention.

For us, we're not off to a great start losing Docherty and then even Pickett.
i don't know where we'll finish but it won't solely be up to us. What happens to other teams' fortunes has an impact on ours.
It's January. I'm bored

14th sounds about right to me as a realistic expectation. Could be better if things go well, could be worse with a few more injuries to key personnel.

GC get worse this year.
St Kilda are a bad loss away from imploding, and have gone heavy on mature age players to try and stave that off.
Fremantle are tough to get a read on, and have lost a very important midfielder, while picking up two boom/bust KPPs.

That's three teams that we should be moving past given the spread of improvement across our best 22.

Then there's the question marks over whether teams like the Bulldogs, Adelaide, Hawthorn and Port Adelaide will slide, and if so, how far.

And how much improvement there is in Brisbane, and whether we can overtake them.

Hard to see us getting out of the bottom 6 unless a few other sides suffer some serious misfortune.

Which teams are capable of being worst than us this year?
...........or. Which teams could be be better than this year?
Gold Coast, St.Kilda, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Fremantle, Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide.

Not saying we're going to be better than all those, but each has a reason to have a not-so-good year at the same time as us having a very good one.
e.g. 1: If Goldstien doesn't play well again, they could really start to struggle. Plenty of soft tissue injuries going on there, also.
e.g. 2: Port Adelaide seem to have something nasty going on there. Just don't seem to be united in what they're doing.
e.g. 3: Hawthorn without Mitchell may well struggle. They don't have a particularly deep midfield and if they're not winning it there, it could get tough.

Rucks could be very important this year and if we can keep all our guys healthy, we may have an ace up our sleeve.

The anomaly of that table is *FC, who, the following year got quality players back into the squad from the WADA suspension plus the #1 draft pick because they so deserved it.

We need some luck with regards to player injuries so that we can grow some team stability as well as our senior players to stay on the park so that the youngsters can develop.

Im gonna be bold and say we will finish 12th. Big call I know but I can can really see things coming together with this list.

A few years together now for some very talented young guys.

Murphy and Kruez, Daisy and a few other mature boys looking in ripping nick.

Finally some fire power up for and the new 6-6-6 rule could really help out the big guys.

Really looking forward to it.

Might move up a few spots, a better run with injuries would help us.

Some clubs are only one or two injuries away from either making the top four easily, or missing finals altogether.

Lots of mediocre lists being papered over by having everyone available for the vast majority of the season.

Gold Coast, St.Kilda, North Melbourne, Hawthorn, Fremantle, Western Bulldogs and Port Adelaide.

Not saying we're going to be better than all those, but each has a reason to have a not-so-good year at the same time as us having a very good one.
e.g. 1: If Goldstien doesn't play well again, they could really start to struggle. Plenty of soft tissue injuries going on there, also.
e.g. 2: Port Adelaide seem to have something nasty going on there. Just don't seem to be united in what they're doing.
e.g. 3: Hawthorn without Mitchell may well struggle. They don't have a particularly deep midfield and if they're not winning it there, it could get tough.

Rucks could be very important this year and if we can keep all our guys healthy, we may have an ace up our sleeve.
That's more like it, Harks

My thoughts:

- Gold Coast a lock for 18th
- Hawthorn bottom-8 (no Mitchell, plus I don't rate their talls - why they traded Burton is beyond me)
- North bottom-6 (I'll be surprised if Goldy can repeat 2018)
- Geelong bottom-8 (no depth, ageing list)
- Essendon to rise up
- I actually think Adelaide will finish 6-10th
- Swans probably won't play finals
- Who knows with Port, St Kilda, Brisbane, Fremantle, Bulldogs.........

I can't tell if the 3 people who have voted 10+ places up the ladder are joking or not

fry.PNG

Fully agree, thought Mathew Lobbe was a very underrated trade in last year.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I can't tell if the 3 people who have voted 10+ places up the ladder are joking or not

fry.PNG
Nope, they aren’t joking

May be delusional though

Currently have us finishing 16th - think it’s a relatively safe bet we’ll remain in the bottom 4 for another year.

But with the competition being so even it doesn’t take much to alter the ladder a spot here and there.

I have us above both St Kilda and the Suns, but you could certainly mount a case for a few other sides as well.

Currently have us finishing 16th - think it’s a relatively safe bet we’ll remain in the bottom 4 for another year.

But with the competition being so even it doesn’t take much to alter the ladder a spot here and there.

I have us above both St Kilda and the Suns, but you could certainly mount a case for a few other sides as well.
No one is lower than the Saints, except maybe *. Both have culture issues

I don't think we will be bottom 4 if things go well. Things could have hardly gone worse last season and we did win 6 the season before, surely we have improved on both of those seasons although 2017 we did have Docherty and Gibbs. If the young ones step up and we improve from 2017 then that will be great.

I think we will finish ahead of Gold Coast, St Kilda and Fremantle. Would not be at all surprised if we finish above the Bulldogs as well. We're a chance to pass the lions. Hawthorn, Sydney and Port are also a chance to drop off.

I've been saying it a while, when we rise it will be significant. Bottom to top over a two year period. But again this comes down to injuries and how long it takes all these new and newish players to gel and how quickly the younger players can come on.

When Docherty was still in I had us down for 8-10 wins. I think 6-10 wins is fine but a lot is riding on us staying fit.

Logic suggests bottom 4, but the talent is certainly there that if it begins to really click we could 10-12, especially with our draw.

An 8 win season would be something compared to last year.. still means what, 14 losses to stew over.. but it’s a decent slingshot back to the right direction

Back