Strategy From now on, that's how we play.

Remove this Banner Ad

Today, for the first time in 6 matches, we played the way we did in the pre season and over summer in training.

We moved the ball on as quick as we could, we took the game on and look at the difference in output and result.

So;

FROM NOW ON, THAT'S HOW WE PLAY.:):thumbsu:

Enough of this "we are a grunt team" crap. That will get us nowhere, well except another missed final series. Take the game on, take some risks and see what comes of it.

The addition of Wells and De Goey next week will make this easier. And even Lynden Dunn helps with those 60 metre kicks out fo the goal square.

More please. MORE.

Today, for the first time in 6 matches, we played the way we did in the pre season and over summer in training.

We moved the ball on as quick as we could, we took the game on and look at the difference in output and result.

So;

Enough of this "we are a grunt team" crap. That will get us nowhere, well except another missed final series. Take the game on, take some risks and see what comes of it.

The addition of Wells and De Goey next week will make this easier. And even Lynden Dunn helps with those 60 metre kicks out fo the goal square.

More please. MORE.

I want to like this 1,000 times. Please use this as the standard going forward Pies! We will beat Carlton by ten goals if we play like that.

So;

More please. MORE.
Agreed, fast paced footy and use the corridor as much as possible

Agreed, fast paced footy and use the corridor as much as possible

We also denied Geelong the corridor time after time. Perfect balance between attack and defence.

We played like this after last year's loss to carlton only to revert the usual tripe in a mater of couple of weeks.

Hopefully someone is no longer as strongwilled as some people claim he is.

Should but can we do it every game or go back to the s**t we done 1st 4 rounds.

We always do this to Geelong and we need to do it to other Teams

So;

More please. MORE.
Absolutely, theres no excuse going forward. We've seen it, now its an expectation week in, week out.

So;

More please. MORE.
Judging from what Buckley said after the game this is what he wanted.
And agree with your post but that goal for goal early in the 3rd was a bit breath holding until we got two in a row.

The guys seemed to just be playing footy today.... stayed away from the boundary line, used our speed and great run to cut through the middle of the ground all day. and it made Geelong look extremely slow.

I get sick of the whole "gameplan" talk.... just let the guys play and do what they do best. we look like a great outfit when we take the game on.

Was it really that different?

I know the result was different, but I don't think there was more than about a 5% difference between today and how we've played our other games.

The differences were in:
1. We kicked better - both from set shots, and in finding targets going through the middle - that makes a massive difference to our gameplay. Obviously kicking better for goal speaks for itself, but it also takes a little bit of pressure from us and adds more to our opponents. Kicking accurately through the middle is crucial. Our gameplan often results in having a lot of opponents ahead of the ball so we have to smart in how we get it forward and not give up those costly turnovers. The minimum of turnovers today was crucial (other than the HTB in front of goal can't think of another obvious one).
2. We kept the pressure on all day. Other than the start of the 4th (with it's dodgy umpiring) we didn't have any sustained periods were we took off that pressure at the contest. Seeing the results from number 1 makes it much easier to keep doing this with confidence, but not having those lapses is going to be a major difference between good and bad results.
3. We took advantage whenever the Geelong player was that 5% behind the contest. Probably a combination of 1 and 2, but it just makes us look a lot slicker with the footy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was it really that different?

I know the result was different, but I don't think there was more than about a 5% difference between today and how we've played our other games.

The differences were in:
1. We kicked better - both from set shots, and in finding targets going through the middle - that makes a massive difference to our gameplay. Obviously kicking better for goal speaks for itself, but it also takes a little bit of pressure from us and adds more to our opponents. Kicking accurately through the middle is crucial. Our gameplan often results in having a lot of opponents ahead of the ball so we have to smart in how we get it forward and not give up those costly turnovers. The minimum of turnovers today was crucial (other than the HTB in front of goal can't think of another obvious one).
2. We kept the pressure on all day. Other than the start of the 4th (with it's dodgy umpiring) we didn't have any sustained periods were we took off that pressure at the contest. Seeing the results from number 1 makes it much easier to keep doing this with confidence, but not having those lapses is going to be a major difference between good and bad results.
3. We took advantage whenever the Geelong player was that 5% behind the contest. Probably a combination of 1 and 2, but it just makes us look a lot slicker with the footy.

I thought we played on much more often and thus got the ball forward much quicker than usual and hence it was no surprise Moore was able to have a better game given he had space to run into or could run and just compete with 1 opponent rather than multiple.

Some of the opportunities to play on came from having a teammate running past to offer a handball receive. Player with ball then has chance to run the other side of player on the mark and give the handball or just go for a run depending on who player on the mark covers.

Mason Cox example clearly indicates player instruction to play on whenever possible :p, fortunately most used their discretion well and hopefully MC & Schade learn from their errors (IMO Schade was fine to play on, just needed to dispose of it quicker given Dangerfield was in the proximity). (My memory now playing tricks and aren't sure if Schade was actually a play on or just got possession close to goal).

I thought we played on much more often and thus got the ball forward much quicker than usual and hence it was no surprise Moore was able to have a better game given he had space to run into or could run and just compete with 1 opponent rather than multiple.

Some of the opportunities to play on came from having a teammate running past to offer a handball receive. Player with ball then has chance to run the other side of player on the mark and give the handball or just go for a run depending on who player on the mark covers.

Mason Cox example clearly indicates player instruction to play on whenever possible :p, fortunately most used their discretion well and hopefully MC & Schade learn from their errors (IMO Schade was fine to play on, just needed to dispose of it quicker given Dangerfield was in the proximity). (My memory now playing tricks and aren't sure if Schade was actually a play on or just got possession close to goal).

Fair enough... i just think we have tried to play on in the other games (esp. The first 2 losses) but it didnt always work, which led to being even more reserved. I agree though it is a good approach to be taking.

For the Schade one - nah he had taken possession and wad under pressure. Should've rushed a behind, but i think was too scared of deliberate being called (same thing happened to Ramsay a few weeks ago). It will take some players (particularly the more inexperienced ones) time to adjust and have more confidence that those situations arent seen as deliberate rushed behinds anymore.

Fair enough... i just think we have tried to play on in the other games (esp. The first 2 losses) but it didnt always work, which led to being even more reserved. I agree though it is a good approach to be taking.

For the Schade one - nah he had taken possession and wad under pressure. Should've rushed a behind, but i think was too scared of deliberate being called (same thing happened to Ramsay a few weeks ago). It will take some players (particularly the more inexperienced ones) time to adjust and have more confidence that those situations arent seen as deliberate rushed behinds anymore.
1st 2 losses is stretching the memory a bit for me. I suspect we did against Dogs but IMO it's something we've lacked in most other games, except maybe vs Swans (although 1st qtr there was more precision kicking than play on).

I had no issue with Schade not rushing the behind, just needed to have better awareness and sink the boot into it to put it 60+ from goal. Even if it comes straight back in this is still better than what happened.

Collingwood always match up well against Geelong it seems. Clearances and quality small forwards...

Glad to see Dunn in. I hope he stays, he is a quality defender. I would still look for Reid to start back, but Dunn gives him more flexibility to swing forward. Cox is great for team balance, it allows Moore to play up the ground where he can play to his strengths.

It is also great to see Broomhead in the side and looking like he belongs. I wasn't sure about Wells, but be compliments your midfield so well. I hope he can stay on the field, footy is so much better to watch when he is up and about.

Any news re Varcoe? Hope he is back soon. The trade to Collingwood has been really good for him.

N
Collingwood always match up well against Geelong it seems. Clearances and quality small forwards...

Glad to see Dunn in. I hope he stays, he is a quality defender. I would still look for Reid to start back, but Dunn gives him more flexibility to swing forward. Cox is great for team balance, it allows Moore to play up the ground where he can play to his strengths.

It is also great to see Broomhead in the side and looking like he belongs. I wasn't sure about Wells, but be compliments your midfield so well. I hope he can stay on the field, footy is so much better to watch when he is up and about.

Any news re Varcoe? Hope he is back soon. The trade to Collingwood has been really good for him.
Nicest opposition supporter ever!!

The way we played v Cats is how I want the team to play.
How we played v Dons I the way I expect us to play v Blues.

This is how much confidence I have in our game plan and the coach to implement that style two games in a row.
Call me anti Bux, I'm not I'm pro successful Collingwood, but the game plan appears patchy and only successful against certain teams.
Will Greenwood be a tagger this week? If not, why not? It's his best Role so target the best oppo player and assign him. If it doesn't work after a qtr, then change it. But at least try.
That is contrary to the last few years, tagger only on certain teams. Greenwood has shown it's his strength. Use it.
Will, or can we, clean up our in50's?
We get plenty, but score little.
Moore needs to start clunking. The midfield needs to back the first option and not bomb on the forwards head.
If a forward leads (Jamie) then choose it and ffs, please deliver it to advantage. If you can't put it on his chest then at least put it to his side of the contest. Poor bugger is working his arse off and the delivery is abysmal.

To lose to this mob on our 125th, would bring me flashbacks to our 100th. Yeah, we f@@rked that up.
Go Pies. Make me proud.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back