Official Club Stuff From the CEO - Brian Cook

Remove this Banner Ad

FYI this is what was developed under Cook's watch at Geelong...

Our Ambition is embedded in the core values and mission of our Club.

To be the greatest team of all; a club people can be proud of because of how we play the game, live our values, conduct business and engage with the community.

Our Ambition is the philanthropic heart of our great club and provides an ongoing invitation to members, sponsors and the wider community to invest and partner to support our past, present and future.

FYI this is what was developed under Cook's watch at Geelong...

Our Ambition is embedded in the core values and mission of our Club.

To be the greatest team of all; a club people can be proud of because of how we play the game, live our values, conduct business and engage with the community.

Our Ambition is the philanthropic heart of our great club and provides an ongoing invitation to members, sponsors and the wider community to invest and partner to support our past, present and future.
They wanted to be the greatest team. We are the greatest team.... Anyway, the Geelong statement is too long for me (more aligned to a Vision Statement). Keep the purpose statement short that people can have a hope of remembering it.

To pursue Excellence and Inclusiveness in everything.

As Brian said this is to cover every facet of the Club from field to every single thing this club does off field.

Last edited:
Honestly, I believe that this has been a long time coming.

The best thing to come under MLo and the Liddle regime was all of these programs and ideologies such as Carlton Respects.

These in and of themselves are initiatives that can have truly impacting and meaningful roles in defining who and what we are.

However, I've felt two things for a while now.

1. We've attempted to control our narrative. God knows I've waffled on enough about this one

2. It's all come without a rudder.

We want to accomplish all these things but there's nothing gluing it altogether. The end result is that we try and be as many different things as we can be - community-minded, conscious and contributing, on-field success, etc, etc.

One can't be all things.

That's where this comes into play and I love the example of St. Pauli. It's absolutely on the money.

So where do I sit?

We already have one of the best purpose statements in global sports. It used to drive our success and it identified Carlton as the Carlton I grew up in a very Carlton family loving.

Mens sana incorpore sano

A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Instead of looking at it in its simplest format, brain (mind) and physical (body) of a person, we look at it from an organizational perspective right down to every unique stakeholder. Every club function. Everything that we do from success out on the football field, to how we engage and communicate with the community, even as how we as fans and supporters, players and coaches, administrators and otherwise conduct ourselves and our actions.

Everything we do and everything we are must represent a healthy mind (the why) in a healthy body (the action).

Build guiding principles around that and the club is truly Carlton.

Edited: Fixed grammar/spelling issues from an ill morning.

Last edited:
Honestly, I believe that this has been a long time coming.

The best thing to come under MLo and the Liddle regime was all of these programs and ideologies such as Carlton Respects.

These in and of themselves initatives that van have truly impacting and meaningful roles in defining who and what we are.

However, I've felt two things for a while now.

1. We've attempted to control our narrative. God knows I've waffled on enough about this one

2. It's all come without a rudder.

We want to accomplish all these things but there's nothing gluing it altogether. The end result is that we try and be as many different things as we can be - community minded, conscious and contributing, on field success, etc, etc.

One can't be all things.

That's where this comes into play and I love the example of St. Pauli. It's absolutely on the money.

So where do I sit?

We already have one of the best purpose statement's in global sports. It used to drive our success and it identified Carlton as the Carlton I grew up in a very Carlton family loving.

Mens sana incorpore sano

A healthy mind in a healthy body.

Instead of looking at it in it's simplest format , brain (mind) and physical (body) of a person we look at it from an organisational perspective right down to every unique stakeholder. Every club function. Everything that we do from success out on the football field, to how we engage and communicate with the community, even as how we as fans and supporters, players and coaches, administrators and otherwise conduct ourselves and our actions.

Everything we do and everything we are must represent a healthy mind (the why) in a healthy body (the action).

Build guiding principles around that and the club is truly Carlton.

I actually quite like this perspective and it can be spun any many different ways.

What is a healthy mind? (would be interesting to get other people's thoughts) Even just watching this about a school i thought raised some interesting perspectives on what it means

I think it is someone with and continuously tries to foster good relationships with everyone around them. someone who is disciplined, focused on the positive and always looking to move forward, balanced in their views and looks to give to those in the community whenever possible.

could look at the brain/mind as the off field organisation and the physical being the on field organisation. The stable off field organisation is one that embodies the above.

Obviously Brian can't cut and paste. He should just cheat and use the cats one. Why try to reinvent the wheel.

Sent from my Mi 9T using Tapatalk

You do need a bit of specificity relating to your domain (in this case football), otherwise you might as well just go with 'be awesome'.

Personally I think there's a lot to be said for 'mens sana incorpore sano' as described above.

Yesterday's email ...

62ecbc3f0afae.jpg

Dear Aph,

I hope you and your family are well and are enjoying what has been an exciting AFL season to date.

As we head into the back end of the AFL season and with three games remaining, I’m sure you’ll agree the work that our leaders have done, particularly Senior Coach Michael Voss, has resulted in an exciting brand of football that our members and fans have connected with all year.

We’ve seen a number of on-field highlights this season, however one that continues to impress year-on-year is the commitment and dedication of our members.

We know we have one of the biggest and most passionate fanbases in the country, evidenced by the 85,000 membership target we recently reached.

Our members have also shown up in force at our games this year, with record attendances set in season 2022, and we can’t wait to see you all back at the ‘G in Round 23 for our final home game of the year.

To be playing in big games at the back end of the home-and-away season is the exact position we want to be in as a football club.

The connection has been growing, resilience building. Clearly, we’re not the finished product yet but most importantly, the group acknowledges that the hard work must continue.

That is the mentality of our AFL side at the moment – we’ve put ourselves in the position we set out to be in at the start of the year. We’ve given ourselves a shot, so let’s embrace this opportunity over the coming weeks which starts in Brisbane on Sunday.

The main reason I wanted to write to you today is to share some really exciting news.

From 9am Monday 15 August, we are ready to welcome you home to IKON Park.

Stage 2 of the redevelopment of IKON Park is almost complete, inclusive of our state-of-the-art recovery and high-performance area, gymnasium, indoor training field, expanded Carlton Shop, function rooms and the opening of the Carlton Football Club’s brand-new café 1864.

Stage 3 of the redevelopment is currently ongoing and set for completion in mid-September. This part of the redevelopment will include a match-day pavilion housing visitor and VFL/VFLW changerooms, along with a function centre with completed landscaping and connection to Princes Park.

From Monday 15 August, Stage 2 of the project including the IKON Park café and The Carlton Shop will be open to the public, with the latter set to open its doors Monday to Friday 9am–5pm.

Our spiritual home, for the first time ever, will now host its own interactive and immersive museum that pays homage to 159 years of proud Carlton history.

We would like to take this opportunity to express our sincere appreciation to both the Victorian and Federal governments for their significant financial contributions to the IKON Park redevelopment, with this investment now cementing IKON Park as Melbourne’s home of AFLW.

When the Club set about undertaking this historic work, it was based upon achieving facilities for women’s sport that would be the equal of their male counterparts. It is with great thanks to the Victorian and Federal governments that this objective has now become a reality.

I’d also like to acknowledge our Club donors, whom without their support, our vision for the IKON Park redevelopment would not have been brought to life and whose significant contribution and support of our great Club cannot go unmentioned.

As a result, our AFLW side now has access to facilities that are the envy of our competitors, and it has arrived in perfect time, with less than three weeks from our season opener against Collingwood, which will take place right here on a Thursday night under the brand-new lights of IKON Park.

The build-up to the AFLW season will take a massive step next week, when – for the first time in our history – we will have both our AFLW and AFL teams playing at the same ground, against the same opposition, on the very same day.

The MCG next Saturday will see our AFLW side face Melbourne at 4:40pm before the AFL side do the same soon after at 7:20pm, and we hope to see you there for an historic double-header.

Before I conclude, I wanted to let you know in advance that we will be launching our new Strategic Plan for the Carlton Football Club this month.

A significant amount of work has gone into this, including the development of six key values, which have been created in consultation with stakeholders throughout our football club – our players, football staff, admin staff, and you, our members.

This business plan will drive the direction and decision-making of our football club for the next five years and as members, we look forward to sharing it with you in the coming weeks.

Thank you so much for what has been truly remarkable support in 2022 so far.

We’ve come a long way together in less than a year. We still have a long way to go, but together, I couldn’t be more confident we are building something very special here at the Carlton Football Club.

Kind regards,

Brian Cook
CEO
Member ID: 4914291

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today's email ...

62ecbc3f0afae.jpg

Dear Aph,

After months of planning, I’m incredibly proud to share with you, our members, the launch of our new Strategic Plan for the Carlton Football Club, titled United by Navy Blue.

A significant amount of work has gone into this, including the development of six key values, which have been created in consultation with stakeholders throughout our football club – our players, football staff, administration staff, supporters and you, our members.

This strategic plan will drive the direction and decision-making of our football club for the next five years.

Our strategic plan will be the central point to what drives us through what we hope to be a memorable five-year period for our football club, and we look forward to sharing this journey with you all.

Brian Cook
Chief Executive

VID:-

FbeAgRAagAAyqhg

Today's email from Cooky ...

62ecbc3f0afae.jpg

Dear Aph,

I hope you and your families are well as we approach the end of 2022 – a year of significant transformation for our football club.

We had three seasons in a calendar year, totalling a combined 42 games of AFL and AFLW.

I would like to take this moment to thank all of our players, coaches and staff for their contribution over that time and the dedication they show for our football club.

Football stops for nobody though, and I’m sure you’ve seen that the hard work is continuing with our AFL side already back for pre-season, while our recruiting team did an outstanding job at the NAB AFL Draft earlier this week.

A special welcome to IKON Park for our new draftees Ollie Hollands, Lachlan Cowan, Jaxon Binns and Harry Lemmey.

I also want to thank each and every one of you for your support this year. You, our members, are the reason we exist and it is also why I am able to share some positive news with you today.

The Carlton Football Club has today announced a net operating profit of $3,390,993 for 2022, an increase on the $1,282,346 result achieved in 2021.

This operating result has contributed to our declaration of a statutory net profit position of $17,020,366 (2021: $20,257,029), which includes both capital and operational non-recurring grants received, as well as philanthropic contributions towards the IKON Park redevelopment.

As I mentioned above, this significant increase can be attributed largely to our loyal members and supporters, as another membership record was achieved off the back of a 9 per cent growth (81,302 to 88,776), as well as an average home crowd attendance of 49,784 – ranked number one in the AFL.

As a result, the Club generated net revenues totaling $20,069,003 from membership, gate receipts and retail – a 29 per cent increase on the comparable 2019 financial year ($15,570,918), prior to the pandemic.

Our commercial partners also underpinned what was a positive financial result, as revenues grew to $16,565,251, a 28 per cent increase from 2019 ($12,977,330).

This year was the first in which the Club’s AFL and AFLW football programs were supported by both our co-major partners in Hyundai and Great Southern Bank, continuing to highlight the connection and support of all our partners.

The Club’s non-traditional revenues continued to grow after two interrupted years, with revenue up 11 per cent from 2021. The Carlton IN Business Network now comprises of 162 members, and the Carlton College of Sport realised further growth in enrolments, with on-site learning returning in 2022.

It was a landmark year for Carlton Respects and the Club’s commnity endeavours, with the Blues launching Road to Respect, a digital learning platform set to be implemented in 2023, which aims to educate students about respect and equality, centered around prevention of violence and positive impact.

During the year, the Club proudly completed and opened to the public the final stages of its redevelopment, which has seen us cement IKON Park as the home of AFLW.

Included in the project delivery was the unveiling of broadcast-standard lighting for AFLW night matches, fully integrated high-performance training facilities and vastly improved match-day conditions for opposition teams and spectators.

The Club’s redevelopment was made possible due to the funding support secured with the Victorian State Government and Federal Government in prior years, resulting in the Club obtaining $20,196,500 and $15,000,000 respectively, towards the redevelopment of IKON Park.

For a year that started with so much uncertainty around our game, to have generated such a significant financial result over a sustained period is certainly pleasing and has enabled us to continue to invest in our football programs and complete our high-performance facilities.

In 2022 we were able to re-establish a number of our key revenue sources in order to make these necessary investments. These decisions were made in accordance with our five-year strategic plan, ensuring we remain committed to our purpose, as a united, inclusive and values-based club that achieves on and off-field success.

We are a football club that exists for and because of, our members. You make a difference for us on the field with your unmatched passion and support, and this financial result we have announced today proves how significant your contribution is to the off-field position our club holds.

In concluding, I want to wish you all a happy and safe end to the year. I hope you are able to take the time to relax and recharge, as we set our sights on an exciting 2023.​
Kind regards,​
Brian Cook
CEO

^^^^^^^

The Carlton Football Club has today announced a net operating profit of $3,390,993 for 2022, an increase on the $1,282,346 result achieved in 2021.
This significant increase can be attributed largely to our loyal members and supporters, as another membership record was achieved off the back of a 9 per cent growth (81,302 to 88,776), as well as an average home crowd attendance of 49,784 – ranked number one in the AFL.

As a result, the Club generated net revenues totaling $20,069,003 from membership, gate receipts and retail – a 29 per cent increase on the comparable 2019 financial year ($15,570,918), prior to the pandemic.

Our commercial partners also underpinned what was a positive financial result, as revenues grew to $16,565,251, a 28 per cent increase from 2019 ($12,977,330).

Revenue up 28% over the last 3 years. Three of the worst years I can remember. I think that last year would have seen the big increase in our revenue as the club started performing and going up the ladder. Also having a record year in terms of memberships would have helped.

As much Cain Liddle did wrong, and ultimately it was what cost him his job, kudos to Cain Liddle on growth hacking the membership numbers that are reflective in our strong financial outcome This is a benefit that the club will appreciate going into the future with numbers such as these.

It really positioned the entire club into a place that we coulf launch off of the back of it. Sayers, Cook and co were able to hit the ground running and with a very promising coach hire and much improved product on the field we appear to be set to soar over the coming years.

But kudos where it belongs. Liddle copped a hiding on here and other corners of the club, mostly rightly so, but he deserves appreciation for the positive outcomes that he achieved.

Today's email - Hyundai 5yr contract extension ...

62ecbc3f0afae.jpg

Dear Aph,

It is a pleasure to write to you this morning to announce some outstanding news, that puts us in a great position of off-field strength heading into 2023.

Carlton and Hyundai have been aligned together for a long period of time, resulting in one of the longest-running partnerships in Australian sport.

Today, I am delighted to let you know that Hyundai have signed a five-year contract extension to take their Co-Major partnership with the football club to an incredible 26 years by the end of 2027.

Hyundai joined the Club as a major sponsor from 1995–2000, before re-committing to the Navy Blue as a Co-Major partner in 2008, with the commercial relationship continuing to go from strength-to-strength ever since.

As we all know, on-field success is at the forefront of our focus, but central to that is off-field stability and support. Hyundai have provided that, and more, to our football club, and we are excited they will continue to do so as we strive for sustained success in the coming years.

The five-year extension also sees Hyundai double its commitment to AFLW and will retain the front space on the Club’s home guernseys.

Innovation and technology are hallmarks of the Hyundai brand, which has been further showcased through the creation of the Carlton IN Business sustainability charter, enabling like-minded businesses to share learnings and opportunities.

The long-standing relationship between Hyundai and Carlton is built on loyalty and a joint passion for innovation. We have both evolved significantly since the establishment of the relationship and will continue to grow together, with a shared appetite to sit at the forefront of our respective industries.

We are proud to have one of the most unique and longstanding partnerships in not only the AFL, but the entire Australian sporting landscape, and we continue to have a mutual brand synergy, which holds us in great stead moving forward.

It has been wonderful to collaborate with Hyundai on initiatives that directly benefit you, our members, including the Back our ‘Baggers campaign, and we thank all Carlton members for their involvement in that initiative over the last few years.

It is pleasing to know that our fans have a connection with Hyundai as our Co-Major partner, which is the sign of an incredibly strong partnership, and we look forward to the next five years with Hyundai by our side.

To find out more about Hyundai, click here

Kind Regards

Brian Cook
CEO

Bump

I think we’ve got a lot to thank this guy for. He’s basically stabilised the club and initiated our renewed team ethos and effort….culminating in 6 wins on the trot including 2 against ladder leaders.

i think he’s underpinned this new surge in uncompromising performances and no doubt our strong chance to play finals.

Interestingly he publicly said not making finals isn’t the end of the world…..sneaky devil 👿

Bump

I think we’ve got a lot to thank this guy for. He’s basically stabilised the club and initiated our renewed team ethos and effort….culminating in 6 wins on the trot including 2 against ladder leaders.

i think he’s underpinned this new surge in uncompromising performances and no doubt our strong chance to play finals.

Interestingly he publicly said not making finals isn’t the end of the world…..sneaky devil 👿

I can't agree more with this. Not sure if anyone watched it for the exact context or anything, but a few people last night on Fox were talking about cook and the relationship that he has with Voss. Think Vossy himself touched on it in his presser.
He has certainly brought the chemistry and his importance to the club cannot be underestimated or underappreciated.
I do know that in the presser Vossy did say that the win was a win for the football club, not just a playing group or the coaches. But throughout the entire organisation. I can't remember the last time that we were this united. It hasn't happened in my adult life.

Last night truly felt like a coming of age moment for this football club. Finally, we have great stewardship. A ceo that knows how to get a footy club humming and the coach who has the best interest of the players and his staff in front of mine.

I can't agree more with this. Not sure if anyone watched it for the exact context or anything, but a few people last night on Fox were talking about cook and the relationship that he has with Voss. Think Vossy himself touched on it in his presser.
He has certainly brought the chemistry and his importance to the club cannot be underestimated or underappreciated.
I do know that in the presser Vossy did say that the win was a win for the football club, not just a playing group or the coaches. But throughout the entire organisation. I can't remember the last time that we were this united. It hasn't happened in my adult life.

Last night truly felt like a coming of age moment for this football club. Finally, we have great stewardship. A ceo that knows how to get a footy club humming and the coach who has the best interest of the players and his staff in front of mine.
Cook is our best recruit over the last 20 years by a very long way.

Cook is our best recruit over the last 20 years by a very long way.
Agree with this. Imagine how much the club would have s**t itself on that losing streak without the man in place. There's no way we would have bounced back like we have. Would have been every man and his dog.

Similarly, Sayers forcing Mathieson:s hand was a lot of strong sign of leadership at this club. In the past he would have been able to have his say and nobody would have done anything

Agree with this. Imagine how much the club would have s**t itself on that losing streak without the man in place. There's no way we would have bounced back like we have. Would have been every man and his dog.

Similarly, Sayers forcing Mathieson:s hand was a lot of strong sign of leadership at this club. In the past he would have been able to have his say and nobody would have done anything
When we look back on the end of this season there may be two watershed moments that changed the trajectory of this club.

It's Sayers and Cook staunch support of Voss when all their predecessors would have gone the jugular.

And Camp Curnow

Remove this Banner Ad

Back