Opinion From the outside looking in

Remove this Banner Ad

kober3742

Debutant
Jan 1, 2013
AFL Club
Melbourne
Hi, I am a US fan who is trying to figure out the intricacies of the sport. I started following Melbourne as they were terrible when I started playing very close attention. The Bombers have always seemed like an interesting team to me. So much history, but very little success recently. I think they should make the finals and win a game. If that were not to happen, what would the reason be. They seem to have good coaching, and a good team. Are they short a forward? Good luck to your team!

I think they should make the finals and win a game. If that were not to happen, what would the reason be.

giphy.gif

Hi, I am a US fan who is trying to figure out the intricacies of the sport. I started following Melbourne as they were terrible when I started playing very close attention. The Bombers have always seemed like an interesting team to me. So much history, but very little success recently. I think they should make the finals and win a game. If that were not to happen, what would the reason be. They seem to have good coaching, and a good team. Are they short a forward? Good luck to your team!
Hi Kober, if we don't win a final i would put it down to a lack of midfield strength. We have a strong backline and some very talented forwards (though they can miss some easy goals at times) so the difference is in the middle of the ground IMO.

The club has made some attempts to strengthen us in this area through the most recent national draft but whether that's going to be enough to get us that elusive finals win remains to be seen :)

There would be a vocal group of people laying it on Adrian Dodoro.
On game day it would probably come down to our failure with the week-to-week learnings, but we will have learned a lot from it.

There would be a vocal group of people laying it on Adrian Dodoro.
On game day it would probably come down to our failure with the week-to-week learnings, but we will have learned a lot from it.
That may be some sort of sarcasm, but am not sure I understand.

That may be some sort of sarcasm, but am not sure I understand.
The current coach has been giving the same justification for losses for quite a while, somewhere in the frame that a loss is a win because the players are learning from it. It's been wearing thin, and although he did a fantastic job digging the club out of a hole, I think a lot of supporters are ready for the new coach to take the reigns. Succession plan is in place.

Oh ok, I gotcha, that makes sense. Is there a coach that you prefer? I thought when I watched the game in round one that the assistant is slated to take over?

I know what you mean, I am a fan of The Chicago Bears in the NFL and while their current coach is decent I would prefer the Chiefs assistant coach Eric Bienemy

Oh ok, I gotcha, that makes sense. Is there a coach that you prefer? I thought when I watched the game in round one that the assistant is slated to take over?

I know what you mean, I am a fan of The Chicago Bears in the NFL and while their current coach is decent I would prefer the Chiefs assistant coach Eric Bienemy
The current senior assistant, Truck Rutten, and assistant, Blake Caracella, have come over from the Richmond Tigers FC. Tigers won flags in 2017 and 2019.

The fade out in the last quarter you would have seen; that's been characteristic of this team when we play lesser teams for three years now. It's incredibly frustrating when they have the ability to bury them. Even 10 years ago, our coach then was imploring the players to be 'ruthless' and 'not take our foot off the throat' of the opposition. So there's a perception that the club's culture is soft. I think something at Tullamarine must be. Hopefully Truck and Cara can fix it.

Out of interest, how did you come across the sport? Was it during round 1 when it was basically the only sport being played on the world? Do you think there will be interest in the States when it starts up again in a few weeks?

Out of interest, how did you come across the sport? Was it during round 1 when it was basically the only sport being played on the world? Do you think there will be interest in the States when it starts up again in a few weeks?

About 20 years ago, I lived at home while in college. My folks had cable at their house and for a few weeks we had free access to a channel called Fox Sports World. They had all kinds of sports like soccer, Gaelic Football, Rugby and Australian Rules Football. I remember watching Australian Rules and thought it was an interesting sport. Alas, the time came when the free time ended and the channel went with it. Then a while ago, here in the US, on ESPN the website, there was a channel called ESPN3. It seemed like once a month or so they had a game on. Then it was more frequent. ESPN 3 dropped it after a while and I could not watch it again.

I then found a website where you could watch all of the games live and on-demand a few years back. I can watch it for about $150.00 dollars a year. There are very few people in the US that watch it and I personally dont know anyone else that watches it. I think that people should, it is better than some US sports. For sure,Australians know more about US sports then vice versa from looking at the message boards.

I would not be surprised if there was a little jump, people are sure paying attention to the Bundesliga.

As for why I picked the team I did, when I started watching it frequently a few years ago, Melbourne was so bad that I felt bad for them. Since I do not have a reason for any other affiliation. However, watching Essendon has always been an interesting experience as it mostly seems like they should be better then they are. People on the Essendon board have been gracious even though I dont know or have followed them closely. I might pull for them as well.

Thank you for your reply
The current senior assistant, Truck Rutten, and assistant, Blake Caracella, have come over from the Richmond Tigers FC. Tigers won flags in 2017 and 2019.

The fade out in the last quarter you would have seen; that's been characteristic of this team when we play lesser teams for three years now. It's incredibly frustrating when they have the ability to bury them. Even 10 years ago, our coach then was imploring the players to be 'ruthless' and 'not take our foot off the throat' of the opposition. So there's a perception that the club's culture is soft. I think something at Tullamarine must be. Hopefully Truck and Cara can fix it.

Thank you for your reply. What is Tullamarine?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

About 20 years ago, I lived at home while in college. My folks had cable at their house and for a few weeks we had free access to a channel called Fox Sports World. They had all kinds of sports like soccer, Gaelic Football, Rugby and Australian Rules Football. I remember watching Australian Rules and thought it was an interesting sport. Alas, the time came when the free time ended and the channel went with it. Then a while ago, here in the US, on ESPN the website, there was a channel called ESPN3. It seemed like once a month or so they had a game on. Then it was more frequent. ESPN 3 dropped it after a while and I could not watch it again.

I then found a website where you could watch all of the games live and on-demand a few years back. I can watch it for about $150.00 dollars a year. There are very few people in the US that watch it and I personally dont know anyone else that watches it. I think that people should, it is better than some US sports. For sure,Australians know more about US sports then vice versa from looking at the message boards.

I would not be surprised if there was a little jump, people are sure paying attention to the Bundesliga.

As for why I picked the team I did, when I started watching it frequently a few years ago, Melbourne was so bad that I felt bad for them. Since I do not have a reason for any other affiliation. However, watching Essendon has always been an interesting experience as it mostly seems like they should be better then they are. People on the Essendon board have been gracious even though I dont know or have followed them closely. I might pull for them as well.
Yeah, Melbourne were caught cheating the system pretty badly. You don't wanna go for them.

You picked the right team if you wanted a team to feel bad for! Though Essendon hasn't been much better the last 20 years.

Watchafl.com.au is a good site to watch from overseas. Will be interesting to see if there is more global interest in AFL when it starts up again.

You picked the right team if you wanted a team to feel bad for! Though Essendon hasn't been much better the last 20 years.

Watchafl.com.au is a good site to watch from overseas. Will be interesting to see if there is more global interest in AFL when it starts up again.
Yes, the watch App is good and has helped me watch the sport more. I would say Essendon has been a lot better than Melbourne recently. THe one game I remember some years ago was when Essendon defeat Melbourne by something like 120 points. That is when I started feeling very bad for them. Melbourne had one good season a couple of years ago, but for the most part the rest of them have been mediocre to terrible. Essendon is rarely terrible, they are a bit underachieving maybe.

Yeah, Melbourne were caught cheating the system pretty badly. You don't wanna go for them.
Since there is a lack of sports, and I know a lot about the history of most American sports, I have researched the history and maybe some current events here are my thoughts:
- am not aware of the Melbourne cheating scandal - so if you could enlighten that would be good.
- I know that Carlton is a bit dodgy financially
- I know about the Essendon performance drugs issue, but that does not relate to any current players on the team
-I know about Adelaide with a bad contract for Kurt Tippett and their current training issues.
- I have read that North Melbourne is struggling financially.
- It appears the GWS was given an unfair advantage when they joined the AFL.
- I have also read about the disappearance of Fitzroy. There seems to be arguments on both sides, with some people stating that they were unfairly done in by the AFL, with other stating they should have been merged because of their finances. IT is tough that a team that had been around for so long had been dissolved. It would be the equivalent of the Boston Red Sox having been merged in 1996 or so.
-There was a lot of discussion when Franklin joined Sydney that the cost of Living Adjustment was unfair.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to fully adapt to a gameplan where each player knows his teammate’s stylistic and positional intricacies would be a major factor in why we might struggle to contend. The supplements saga and injuries to players you build a team around such as Joe Daniher have set as back in developing the cohesion that makes for a team in contention.

How do you prove tanking in the AFL? Over here, NBA teams do it and there is no punishment.

Baseball does it to a lesser degree, but it does not matter as much since baseball draft picks are not as important as basketball ones are. Also, if anyone could please let me know if the other facts I laid out about the other teams are correct.

- I know that Carlton is a bit dodgy financially
- I know about the Essendon performance drugs issue, but that does not relate to any current players on the team
-I know about Adelaide with a bad contract for Kurt Tippett and their current training issues.
- I have read that North Melbourne is struggling financially.
- It appears the GWS was given an unfair advantage when they joined the AFL.
- I have also read about the disappearance of Fitzroy. There seems to be arguments on both sides, with some people stating that they were unfairly done in by the AFL, with other stating they should have been merged because of their finances. IT is tough that a team that had been around for so long had been dissolved. It would be the equivalent of the Boston Red Sox having been merged in 1996 or so.
-There was a lot of discussion when Franklin joined Sydney that the cost of Living Adjustment was unfair.
Pretty accurate summary.
Good luck to your Demons this year. I attended the 2 finals they won in 2018 and there was a great atmosphere...good reward for their long suffering fans. Their fans usually make pretty good contributions to our BigFooty pages too.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back