Official Club Stuff From The President - Club officially debt free 1st Feb 2021!!

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't really know MLG from a bar of soap. Never met the guy.

As a Carlton supporter i think he's done an enormous job and am glad he took the reins. Took the basketcase over in 2014 and by the end of the 2015 season had the smarts and political power to implement a 20 year overdue regeneration of the whole Club mindset. With the power of SOS's personality and standing they had the strength to ward of any nay-sayers and largely completed an off-field(his part) and onfield(SOS) rebuild.

Is the joint now perfect?...hell no. Nowhere is. And we're still only 4 years forward from a basketcase. Was everything good that changed, his doing?...hell no. But he did his best for Carlton when needed and from my vantage point , his best is pretty bloody good considering the mountain in front of him.

Him and SOS will leave the place in much better shape but everyone's time comes whether it is completely on your timetable or slightly altered or just chopped. My reading is that about 2020 was always the intended exit point for both blokes and SOS might be going a year early for various reasons.

Good job by both. This viewer is glad they came on board and isn't perturbed that they are both moving on soon. The club is now back alongside most of the other clubs as competant and functional and doing the best of competing against the others and riding the normal ups n downs and comings and goings.

I've got about 25 ripping young talented footy players to watch as a TEAM for the next 10 years because 2(and more) blokes did things the right and HARD way.

Does anyone know anything about this Sayers character?

CEO at PwC (Price Waterhouse Coopers)

I don't really know MLG from a bar of soap. Never met the guy.

As a Carlton supporter i think he's done an enormous job and am glad he took the reins. Took the basketcase over in 2014 and by the end of the 2015 season had the smarts and political power to implement a 20 year overdue regeneration of the whole Club mindset. With the power of SOS's personality and standing they had the strength to ward of any nay-sayers and largely completed an off-field(his part) and onfield(SOS) rebuild.

Is the joint now perfect?...hell no. Nowhere is. And we're still only 4 years forward from a basketcase. Was everything good that changed, his doing?...hell no. But he did his best for Carlton when needed and from my vantage point , his best is pretty bloody good considering the mountain in front of him.

Him and SOS will leave the place in much better shape but everyone's time comes whether it is completely on your timetable or slightly altered or just chopped. My reading is that about 2020 was always the intended exit point for both blokes and SOS might be going a year early for various reasons.

Good job by both. This viewer is glad they came on board and isn't perturbed that they are both moving on soon. The club is now back alongside most of the other clubs as competant and functional and doing the best of competing against the others and riding the normal ups n downs and comings and goings.

I've got about 25 ripping young talented footy players to watch as a TEAM for the next 10 years because 2(and more) blokes did things the right and HARD way.

No offence to MLG the person, any more than not wanting to offend Kernahan before him.
They both wanted what's best for the club, but didn't achieve particularly much under their watch.
MLG has put and still does put a lot of time into his role but a lot of the effort has ultimately been in vain.

In know people will contest this because he (the board) went along with the rebuild and that we think we have made ourselves some good appointments since, but we'll need some time for this to breathe and show us the net results.
Those that have met him have genuinely liked him, but I doubt his legacy will be met with a lot of affection, any more than Boltons will be in time.

CEO at PwC (Price Waterhouse Coopers)

I started to wonder why our next president was going to be the CEO of the company that makes washing machines until I read the link. Thank goodness.

No offence to MLG the person, any more than not wanting to offend Kernahan before him.
They both wanted what's best for the club, but didn't achieve particularly much under their watch.
MLG has put and still does put a lot of time into his role but a lot of the effort has ultimately been in vain.

In know people will contest this because he (the board) went along with the rebuild and that we think we have made ourselves some good appointments since, but we'll need some time for this to breathe and show us the net results.
Those that have met him have genuinely liked him, but I doubt his legacy will be met with a lot of affection, any more than Boltons will be in time.

I fully expected this reply from you Harks. I firmly believe you have an issue with MLG that stems from your Shane Rogers days. I know you'll deny this in some way and i may be wrong or i may be right on that. But i sure as hell couldn't be shagged debating it.

You want MLG gone, you always have, from day 1. That is totally fair enough and your prerogative. I've said my piece and you will have yours.

I fully expected this reply from you Harks. I firmly believe you have an issue with MLG that stems from your Shane Rogers days. I know you'll deny this in some way and i may be wrong or i may be right on that. But i sure as hell couldn't be shagged debating it.

You want MLG gone, you always have, from day 1. That is totally fair enough and your prerogative. I've said my piece and you will have yours.

You are wrong in that I want him gone for the individual he is. I have stated this clearly.
I've also stated many times as to what I haven't liked under his watch and if I brought them up again now, most would agree.

I've said in recent months that MLG has to go and not because of the job he's currently doing, but he did tie himself to Bolton, is tied to SOS and you can work out the rest. Wonder whether Judd may choose it's time to go, also. I do see MLG as a cockroach though, because you just can't kill him. Who knows?

I feel that there's a bigger picture afoot through all this and I don't know what it is.
I can guess but I'd be labeled a conspiracy theorist, a hater......whatever, but what is seemingly happening has more to it than for Liddle going rogue.
That I am sure of.

Anyway, MLG has learned along the way and I keep hearing of just how much he has put in and that's great, but give me results......just results.

Not sure who reads which thread so I’ll post here too.

Sayers is finishing up as ceo of PwC this year. His term ends now. They are electing his replacement now. (He’s not allowed to continue under their partner rules).

He’s a very good operator. Is a part of a sensible core of long term leaders there who are very tight knit. Those close to him speak highly of him.

I started to wonder why our next president was going to be the CEO of the company that makes washing machines until I read the link. Thank goodness.
Hope our laundering days are over.

Terry … you have answered questions you stated on Harks behalf … please be reasonable.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I guess no one told Eddie McChins this. President for life! :p
Too many people at Collingwood & in the AFL Media are beholden to Eddie in some shape or form therefore he gets to decide his own tenure. Not unlike the way Elliott controlled Carlton for so long. The major difference between the two is that Eddie, when he finally chooses to move on, will leave his club in better shape than when he first arrived.

I was highly skeptical of MLG when we appointed him. IMO he seemed a Mathieson stooge, whose only real accomplishment was being born into a successful family business.

BUT fast forward five years and I am full of praise for his presidency.

OK, there have been a couple of missteps, and we haven't yet reached any on-field heights. But when MLG took on the role, this club had its head stuck so badly up its own arse that I am surprised our players knew which way they were kicking. Then I look at where we are today and I am in awe of the transformation.

As an outsider I can't say how much of the turnaround is attributable to MLG, but under his watch we seem to 1) have appointed good people 2) developed a clear vision 3) had the conviction to follow that vision 4) worked cohesively to reach those goals (recent rumblings notwithstanding and I know not all has been rosy behind the scenes). Above all, we seem to have improved our culture and rediscovered an identity.

OK, we finished 16th this year. But I can clearly see where we're at and where we're trying to go. I haven't seen this kind of vision for 20 years.

The transformation of the club (both on- and off-field) in the past five years has been incredible. Whomever takes over from MLG may end up receiving more glory, but the groundwork for this club rising from the ashes (and 20 years of s**t) has been laid by MLG, SOS and co over the last five years. Carlton embracing the 21st century coincided almost exactly with the moment MLG took over. That can't be a coincidence.

I am proud of my club for the first time since the 90s. And I will certainly consider MLG's legacy with plenty of affection.

Um...

Harks, you're pretty reasonable most of the time. Before I start disputing what you're saying at length and descriptively, could you please enunciate why you feel this way? Make the argument that the board under MLG merely went along with the rebuild and only rotated staff out, instead of plan and put into place processes of review to ensure that when one person left the next was the best candidate?

Um...

Harks, you're pretty reasonable most of the time. Before I start disputing what you're saying at length and descriptively, could you please enunciate why you feel this way? Make the argument that the board under MLG merely went along with the rebuild and only rotated staff out, instead of plan and put into place processes of review to ensure that when one person left the next was the best candidate?

Poor president because he hasn't achieved anything, but anything good that has happened while he's been on board was either not because of him, or needs to be reviewed later in case it turns out not to be good...

Bit of a lose/lose situation, isn't it. Anything "bad" that happens is his fault, anything "good" that happens was probably someone else and might still go bad later so it doesn't count. Could take the same approach with every club president and they'd all be classed as incompetent.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back