* off Sportsbet

Remove this Banner Ad

There are some Big Bash games that have more money wagered on them than the entire AFL season. Criminals can't bet huge money on AFL because it stands out too much and attracts too much attention. Also AFL is extremely complicated, trying to reliably orchestrate a certain player to kick the first goal for example is near to impossible.
The volume of money will grow. You're right Cricket is a joke too in some forms of the game: looking at old newspapers Isee this was the case back in the 18th century too, the county game was very corrupt.

As for the complications, its a numbers game, you just have to skew the odds. The Heath Shaw incident (yes it was Goldie to kick the first) that long odds can be drastically shortened by tactical decisions: I doubt MM could be bought but there are coaches who could be, or assistants, or players.

A swingman being played at fullback would scrap the first goal and leading goalscorer bets on them for that game, be very handy for an over-exposed bookie for that to happen. You know as well as I do there are many ways to corrupt a game, and with gambling involved the money will motivate more people to do so.

Gambling firms openly make demands of the sports they parasitise off. I recall a bookmaker twenty years ago on a sports panel jeering at the AFL saying he wouldn't lay odds on a game (quite dishonestly, most of those cockroaches would take a bet on your grandmother dying, or theirs) until the clubs guaranteed the side selected on a Thursday was the side that would run out on the Saturday. Basically he was demanding we change the rules to suit his book.

We already have the AFL openly favouring some clubs like the Giants with massively unfair benefits. they tried to recruit buddy for them, on top of the oceans of money poured in. Its just one more step to favour a club to please a major sponsor. Imagine the beating the bookies would take if the Pies won a flag.

Lol what a stupid thread if you don’t like betting don’t bet ffs
That's not the be-all and end-all. Exposing children to the normalisation of gambling is an easy way for the hooks of addiction to take hold. Only need to look so far as countries in the EU, as well as the UK, looking into the effects of videogames with gambling mechanics (like FIFA) and their impact on children. This is no different.

That's not the be-all and end-all. Exposing children to the normalisation of gambling is an easy way for the hooks of addiction to take hold. Only need to look so far as countries in the EU, as well as the UK, looking into the effects of videogames with gambling mechanics (like FIFA) and their impact on children. This is no different.
Lol what a load of rubbish. We can’t stop people getting addicted to drugs and that’s ******* illegal. We legalised gaming as there were still gambling addicts when it was illegal and nexus with crime and corruption. Let people make their own minds up, we don’t need all these crusades to ban this or ban that

Lol what a load of rubbish. We can’t stop people getting addicted to drugs and that’s ******* illegal. We legalised gaming as there were still gambling addicts when it was illegal and nexus with crime and corruption. Let people make their own minds up, we don’t need all these crusades to ban this or ban that
Yeah, you're right. Why bother trying to help society or guide it away from mental illnesses like addiction. Let's go back to the Wild West!

F-wit post

Yeah, you're right. Why bother trying to help society or guide it away from mental illnesses like addiction. Let's go back to the Wild West!

F-wit post
Na let’s just ban everything. Also the thought that gambling creates mental health issues is dubious at best. A lot who become addicted are seeking a crouch for underlying mental health issues that they have.

Na let’s just ban everything. Also the thought that gambling creates mental health issues is dubious at best. A lot who become addicted are seeking a crouch for underlying mental health issues that they have.
Addiction is a mental illness in itself

I assume you mean “crutch”.
And using a persons underlying mental illness as an excuse for an industry exploiting them says all I need to know about you.

Quick question for the gamblers amongst us.
1. Do the adverts make you change your preferred betting provider?
2. Why do all betting advertising seem to feature deep (faked) voiced males?
3. Do the adverts that implore you to “back yourself” make you bet? Or even bet more?
4. Is the “guaranteed money back“ if X happens help you make a bet?

Would be very interested in the answers as it appears to be a recurring theme in the advertising for gambling.

3. Do the adverts that implore you to “back yourself” make you bet? Or even bet more?

Would be very interested in the answers as it appears to be a recurring theme in the advertising for gambling.

1. No. The promotions themselves, perhaps if I assess them as being profitable.
2. They know their market and it’s thick blokey-blokes, I guess.
3. No, they make me cringe.
4. Absolutely. Back it with that promo and lay it on Betfair at the same time. Very much a profitable proposition until the corporate bookmaker bans you.

1. No. The promotions themselves, perhaps if I assess them as being profitable.
2. They know their market and it’s thick blokey-blokes, I guess.
3. No, they make me cringe.
4. Absolutely. Back it with that promo and lay it on Betfair at the same time. Very much a profitable proposition until the corporate bookmaker bans you.
On 4, I'm available.

On 4, I'm available.

Cheers, but I’m done with the grind for now. Promos are guaranteed money, but it’s still “work” of a sort, stuck on your phone or computer, and it’s hardly lucrative in a $ per hour sense. Would rather enjoy my weekends, especially as the weekdays are grim in lockdown.

Happy to teach you if interested, however.

Cheers, but I’m done with the grind for now. Promos are guaranteed money, but it’s still “work” of a sort, stuck on your phone or computer, and it’s hardly lucrative in a $ per hour sense. Would rather enjoy my weekends, especially as the weekdays are grim in lockdown.

Happy to teach you if interested, however.
I did that for a while but it is very grindy. Reminded me of videogames where you're too low a level and just have to sit there mindlessly getting stronger. There is a reward, but it's pretty dull

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I did that for a while but it is very grindy. Reminded me of videogames where you're too low a level and just have to sit there mindlessly getting stronger. There is a reward, but it's pretty dull

The landscape is very different now. It used to be more more worthwhile in the wild west days of massive sign-up and deposit bonuses. Those inducements are illegal now thanks to Nick Xenophon.

The ads aren't targeted at current players.

Its all towards net-new sign-ups.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back