Fujitsu not fazed by CAS fallout

Remove this Banner Ad

Or more likely, they realise they're going to get a s**t-ton of publicity without any backlash. Nobody is going to be in the market for an aircon and think "Fujitsu looks good, but they support those Essendon flogs so i'll get an LG instead".
I actually did that on Friday.

Fair enough. The CAS decision has everything to do with the 34 players who were found guilty of doping and, given the change in personnel, pretty much nothing to do with the EFC in its current form.

This is why, in my opinion, those calling for the club to be punished are in the wrong. Less than half the current playing roster were found guilty of doping and this proportion will decrease over time. For the league to impose penalties that would further damage the clubs on and off field performance would significantly affect EFC current playing roster, the majority of whom are clean.

Of course I also support the right of the 34 banned players to pursue action against the EFC if they consider the EFC to be at fault for them being banned but that is entirely different from an official sporting body pursuing further penalties against the club (even though the player’s action could also severely damage on and off field performance of EFC in the future.

Regards

S. Pete

The co -major sponsor of Essendon Football Club continues to support the club, they probably don't think much of the CAS verdict.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2016-01-25/fujitsu-stand-by-dons

Wait...

Is this an article saying they AREN'T losing a major sponsor?

I was expecting it to be an extension of their sponsorship or something, but nothing was mentioned. I mean its nice that Fujitsu is saying they AREN'T seeking to escape their contract, but still...

The cynic in me thinks that publishing this is just a way for Essendon to pressure other sponsors to stay, although I suppose some supporters might welcome the announcement? Just seems like such an unimportant thing to publish.

Or more likely, they realise they're going to get a s**t-ton of publicity without any backlash. Nobody is going to be in the market for an aircon and think "Fujitsu looks good, but they support those Essendon flogs so i'll get an LG instead".

There's a few Camry owners on here that would disagree.

Also, I had the choice of Mad Mex or Roll'd the other day. Chose Roll'd for obvious reasons.

Nice PR puff. No doubt Essendon would look to take action for breach of contract if the sponsorship was terminated. We will see what happens when it is time to renew the contract.

The way it seems to work is any publicity is publicity.

Essendon is getting shedloads of media attention and everybody gets to see Fujitsu on the guernseys not Daiken. Unless your dealing with something so distasteful that everybody has to hate them, you'll find that sponsors are getting the publicity they paid for.

There's a few Camry owners on here that would disagree.

Also, I had the choice of Mad Mex or Roll'd the other day. Chose Roll'd for obvious reasons.
I'm like that. I was really hot a few weeks back and was going to get an air-con before remembering they sponsored the Essendon flogs so I bought a New Age Caravan and toured NT instead.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm like that. I was really hot a few weeks back and was going to get an air-con before remembering they sponsored the Essendon flogs so I bought a New Age Caravan and toured NT instead.

Yeah because the NT is sooooo much cooler than Melbourne, right!

Perhaps not... but buying decisions are made on conscious and subconscious levels...

People who associate Fujitsu with Essendon in a pejorative way may not even consider looking at Fujitsu air conditioners when there are many other companies to choose from...

Furthermore, if you're looking at buying an air conditioner and you've decided on either an LG or a Fujitsu because their offerings are the same, Fujitsu's decision to back Essendon will mean that you'll probably buy a Fujitsu if you're an Essendon supporter, and maybe an LG if you're not.

If Fujitsu air conditioners are always better featured and better priced, then their association with Essendon will be unlikely to have a negative impact...

And the other aspect, of course, is that the person making the buying decision may not give one rat's arse about football.

Furthermore, if you're looking at buying an air conditioner and you've decided on either an LG or a Fujitsu because their offerings are the same, Fujitsu's decision to back Essendon will mean that you'll probably buy a Fujitsu if you're an Essendon supporter, and maybe an LG if you're not.
Attributing this decision to a protest over the sponsorship of a football club is a load of rubbish IMO.

Regardless, even if it is the case, it's very likely that Fujitsu see the positives outweighing the negatives.

Wait...

Is this an article saying they AREN'T losing a major sponsor?

I was expecting it to be an extension of their sponsorship or something, but nothing was mentioned. I mean its nice that Fujitsu is saying they AREN'T seeking to escape their contract, but still...

The cynic in me thinks that publishing this is just a way for Essendon to pressure other sponsors to stay, although I suppose some supporters might welcome the announcement? Just seems like such an unimportant thing to publish.

Fujitsu is saying it will honour its contractual commitments. The integrity of signed documents is really important to Essendon

Why wouldn't you want access to a cult of Hird fanbase like that :p.
I would probably get Jimmy up there as spokesperson alongside Taylor and say "things got a bit hot under the collar what with all of that unpleasantness surrounding that supplement program that others bought in... whom I trusted...but thanks to my Fujitsu air I was always cool and convince myself that this mess was everyone else's doing...and my level of responsibility goes as far as...I trusted too much...I worked too hard and I care about the welfare of the players too much ... so show your belief in my story by going out and buying an aircon... buy a Fujitsu..its Australia's favourite air"

Sponsors don't leave on their own accord. They are forced to stop supporting clubs or networks of whatever on the back of a groundswell of public opinion whereby boycotts are threatened.

That hasn't happened so it is far more beneficial to keep half a million Essendon fans onside than it is for something to draw attention to them pulling out in the wake of this.

It's not about image, it's about money. Corporations aren't known for being hand wringers.

Attributing this decision to a protest over the sponsorship of a football club is a load of rubbish IMO.

Regardless, even if it is the case, it's very likely that Fujitsu see the positives outweighing the negatives.
Actually, it's quite logical. When you're choosing between two similar products, a negative OR positive association will sway that decision. Fact is, when you're choosing between two similar products (where the chance of buyer's regret is heightened), you look for anything to help you make your decision.

There has been a bit of research out there that shows that being associated with a team can have a significant negative effect on sales to supporters of rival teams. The effect is particularly strong with rival / derby type associations.

The case study I recall was between Sunderland and Newcastle where the coach of one team endorsed a cereal. The lost sales to rival fans outweighed the increased sales in the targeted area.

I would think there would be some similar effect by sponsors who trash their brand by associating it with gutter organisations. Measuring it would be difficult.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back