Full back position after McIntosh

Remove this Banner Ad

GoEagles

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 10, 2000
Sydney
AFL Club
West Coast
The only reason I can see Antonowicz staying with the Eagles is that they are hoping he might be able to fill McIntosh's role when he retires in the next year or so. But then again he would be competing with Glass and Gaspar (although one of these players would fill Jackos role)

Just looking at the Eagles list, It seems they have far too many identical tall forwards, Turnball, Carroll, Buszan, Embley, Donnelly, Sierakowski, McDougall plus throw in the rucks Gardiner and Cox. Is it just me or will a lot of these players have limited games this year?

Looking at the 2000 list a the eagles had no tall players. Cummings, Gehrid and White were constantly injured. So I guess that the eagles match committee decided to stock up on talls so we don't have that problem again.

A good thing about having so many talls is that they can fill a lot of ky roles. You can't exactly play a short player at FB, CHB, CHF, FF or ruck. And they also come in handy on the flanks, where they can mark the ball and then deliver it to Cummings or Wilson or bomb it out of defense. Small players cannot do that.

The increased competition between these players for a spot on the team should mean that they all lift their game and that has got to be good for the team. And by 2002 the useless one's will be delisted leaving only quality talls.

------------------
"I'm not going to waste my life trying to prolong it"

Full back position after McIntosh? Jonathon Hay of course!
wink.gif

Don't think he was injured tonight, just being rested. Very good idea IMHO, some players just shouldnt play preseason unless absolutely necessary.... Ash, Cuz, Brauny, Banners, Scotty....etc.

Meanwhile, 2 games with us and Harding is already injured! I'd swap him back for Metro any time!

Yup Macca and Matera were both rested for the Ansett match against St Kilda. Eagle_Fan, I agree with you about us letting Metro go to Fremantle with Harding in exchange. Fremantle easily got the better deal there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back