Full contact AFL 9s, 'Origin'.

Remove this Banner Ad

I wonder if you have ever heard of the Japan AFL (www.jafl.org). JAFL is the longest running league and only league in Asia that is run by locals. We have been playing on rugby and soccer fields for as long as football has been played here. AFL Asia is an exciting new prospect but was only started this year. There are currently 6 teams based in Tokyo and one each in Osaka and Nagoya. 5 of these teams are all Japanese, one team is a mixture of foreign and Japanese born players and two teams are expat teams. In Japan we play 9v9 on rugby fields because of all the factors listed in your post.

The JAFL season starts in May and runs through until November with a break during the hottest Summer months. I have been a player for the Osaka Dingoes (www.osakadingoes.com) and admin since 2010. A few years ago it was 11v11, but the numbers of have been reduced to nine per side due to too much congestion. 9 players makes for a more free flowing game and one where fitness is still vitally important. Unlimited numbers of players are allowed on the bench. I have posted a video of one of our recent night matches in Tokyo for you to see what this format of football might look like.
Recently the AFL have spent a fortune building a full size ground in China, but the future of promoting football in Asia is in making use of the facilities already available. I don't see why a different version of football couldn't become more popular in Australia. If cricket can do it, why can't football?

Excellent mate!

I only recently became aware of the Asian League when doing a google on AFL Indonesia. I had a heap of footy gear to give away and my Mrs was going overseas to Indonesia, Jakarta. So i googled and found the Indo website and arranged to get the footy stuff to the kids over there.

The Indonesian Expats that run the footy over there run Auskick for the juniors and have a local comp with Native Indonesians making up some of the sides. They have a couple of teams in the ASIA cup and will form a national squad of Native Indonesians to Participate in an International comp.

I didnt realize how widespread footy is in ASIA. Thats one of the reasons i thought the format ive outlined in the OP needed suggesting. If the AFL legitimized the concept you are already playing with a comp here much like 20/20 does for cricket (but during the summer) we could have all sorts of International matches and see AFL explode all through the Asian Pacific. I t would be suitable for any country with a soccer field or gridiron field, rugby field etc.

Why does it matter if AFL is played overseas?

And its great if soccer is strong, its a good sport. Love heading down to Glory games on summer nights, great atmosphere, very different to watching AFL. People are always so quick to try and find perceived threats and belittle them to make themselves feel better.

The concept of a small field version of Aussie rules is a great one, but only on a small scale as an amateur bit of fun.

And its great if soccer is strong, its a good sport. Love heading down to Glory games on summer nights, great atmosphere, very different to watching AFL. People are always so quick to try and find perceived threats and belittle them to make themselves feel better.

The concept of a small field version of Aussie rules is a great one, but only on a small scale as an amateur bit of fun.

Well it IS played overseas suport costs very little

I personally would rather have seen govt money used thus than line the pockets of fifa slugs like a few years ago

Because long term, to compete for sponsorship money and to fund the ever increasing costs of running clubs, the sport may have no option but to expand overseas.

NSW was playing QLD in the 9s FC this weekend live on free to air on saturday, would anyone watch?

If Vic was playing SA on sunday would anyone watch?

NT vs Tas anyone?

It would be huge.

You could start a thread on team selections and it would be facinating. You dont even need to pick current contracted AFL stars. Players from the WAFL, SANFL, NEAFL, VFL, etc and some recently retired stars would form much of the sides. Plus some exciting youngsters.

What a way to see the new talent emerging. The public would suddenly have more of a say in players getting picked for AFL clubs. Less talent would get overlooked. Some of them would become stars in their own right and performance and public would demand selection in thr AFL. It would do wonders for overseas talent also.

I really like the idea as a bit of fun, almost like a T20 version of AFL. But like the concerns some people have with T20 in cricket (being a "slogfest" and forcing players to focus more on power big hits rather than technique) do you think it could have any negative impact on the future of AFL? Could we see more players going to this form than full field due to ease of playing or to make some quick dollars in a more exciting version, or players with different skills due to the different game plans, such as a key forward who would have less pack marking abilities but more aerobic endurance or athleticism, or midfielders with less ball skill but more pace? Personally I don't think it'll impact the AFL too much, but could be interesting to see what others think.

Just while I'm on the point of the positions, how would the team be structured? 3 backs, mids and forwards? How would you structure a team if you were to pick one, and who would you have in it from the AFL?

That obviously means something, netball is huge in the participation stakes as well.

IMO, and from my observations, a lot of kids who play soccer ( not all) play it because their parents think it is safe, play it for something to do, play it because their parents demand they play a sport etc etc etc.

From my observations, many of the kids playing soccer don't really have the passion for the sport, it is sort of like a throw away toy, now don't get me wrong, i am sure there are kids who play football for the same reasons, and i have noticed that, but from my observations, there is a much lower %.

Soccer is always going to be a high particiaption sport.

Have you done a survey on this?

Have you done a survey on this?

fabulousphil said:
That obviously means something, netball is huge in the participation stakes as well.​
IMO, and from my observations, a lot of kids who play soccer ( not all) play it because their parents think it is safe, play it for something to do, play it because their parents demand they play a sport etc etc etc.​
From my observations, many of the kids playing soccer don't really have the passion for the sport, it is sort of like a throw away toy, now don't get me wrong, i am sure there are kids who play football for the same reasons, and i have noticed that, but from my observations, there is a much lower %.​
Soccer is always going to be a high particiaption sport.​

Sure, its called my survey.

The de facto cut down version of footy is kick to kick. You need to elabotate on that a bit to get something watchable

I found a 9s brochure last night and there is already a full contact version.

All we need is a national comp to be organized to give it an instant profile. That would also aid the touch footy version of 9s...

AFL, your call...

It must be right then. We may aswell get rid of Morgan polls and just ask for your opinion.

A sport participant in this article is defined as a person aged 15 years and over who participated in sports and physical recreation activities as a player or competitor at least once during the 12 months prior to interview in 2005-06. Persons who were involved only as coaches, umpires or club officials are, not included.

Of the four main football codes, soccer (outdoor) was the most popular sport and physical recreation activity among Australians aged 15 years and over with 2.6% of the population participating (419,600). More males participated in this activity (3.9% or 311,500) than females (1.3% or 108,100).

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4156.0.55.001Feature Article1May 2009

The three most popular organised sports for boys in the year ending April 2012 were outdoor soccer, swimming/diving and Australian Rules football with participation rates of 22%, 16% and 15% respectively.

*If you add in the number of girls playing soccer, it's pretty clear that soccer is miles clear.
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@...Chapter~Children's+participation?OpenDocument

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because long term, to compete for sponsorship money and to fund the ever increasing costs of running clubs, the sport may have no option but to expand overseas.
or, um, players and coaches could just be paid proportionately to what the sport can afford rather than the escalating arms race?

or, um, players and coaches could just be paid proportionately to what the sport can afford rather than the escalating arms race?

you want proportion...?

how about a player has a 10 season career span (if hes lucky). A normal worker has a 50 years work span. So if you paid footy players the average wage (75k?) times-ed by 5 is 350k per season. As in life some people get paid more than others.

Your call...

If the money is coming from overseas, power will be leaving the country with it. Not a desirable result.

9s is useful in a few ways. Overseas as has been said, where ground availability can be a problem. As a training tool so that players get lots of touches, for juniors for the same reason or when a club does not have enough players to run internal practice matches. The biggest area is school footy where a short form of the game is needed to encourage the game to be played in competition with all other sports. (I went to school in Melbourne and played one organised game in 5 years, lots of kick to kick, lots of soccer).
The key thing is to get as many people as possible to PLAY the game - if 9s becomes a bit more formalised that can only help..

A sport participant in this article is defined as a person aged 15 years and over who participated in sports and physical recreation activities as a player or competitor at least once during the 12 months prior to interview in 2005-06. Persons who were involved only as coaches, umpires or club officials are, not included.

Of the four main football codes, soccer (outdoor) was the most popular sport and physical recreation activity among Australians aged 15 years and over with 2.6% of the population participating (419,600). More males participated in this activity (3.9% or 311,500) than females (1.3% or 108,100).

http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/Lookup/4156.0.55.001Feature Article1May 2009

The three most popular organised sports for boys in the year ending April 2012 were outdoor soccer, swimming/diving and Australian Rules football with participation rates of 22%, 16% and 15% respectively.

*If you add in the number of girls playing soccer, it's pretty clear that soccer is miles clear.
http://www.abs.gov.au/ausstats/abs@.nsf/Products/4156.0~2012~Chapter~Children's participation?OpenDocument

I think we should be more concerned with 'swimming/diving'....The commercial threat there is just...wow.

So, the idea is to have an off season comp, with players nobody knows, teams few care about, on grounds that cricket can't be bothered using and rules adjusted enough to make for a different game....Yeah, that'll go well. I can see it competing with beach cricket and tiddlywinks for tv exposure...and losing.

I think we should be more concerned with 'swimming/diving'....The commercial threat there is just...wow.

So, the idea is to have an off season comp, with players nobody knows, teams few care about, on grounds that cricket can't be bothered using and rules adjusted enough to make for a different game....Yeah, that'll go well. I can see it competing with beach cricket and tiddlywinks for tv exposure...and losing.

yeah. 20.20 cricket would be a joke. No chance of money or ratings in that...Imagine...."an off season comp, with players nobody knows, teams few care about,."

yeah. 20.20 cricket would be a joke. No chance of money or ratings in that...Imagine...."an off season comp, with players nobody knows, teams few care about,."

Considering I know nothing of any 20 20 comp in Australia during winter, I think that's pretty much made my point.

Or are you talking about things like the IPL? Except of course, that's played during the season (for the locality), contains players we know, and while I will concede the teams are practically meaningless over here, almost nobody in Australia watches it anyway.

Considering I know nothing of any 20 20 comp in Australia during winter, I think that's pretty much made my point.

Or are you talking about things like the IPL? Except of course, that's played during the season (for the locality), contains players we know, and while I will concede the teams are practically meaningless over here, almost nobody in Australia watches it anyway.

no money in it either...

I think you misjudge the potential interest in a format that would showcase a lot of talent that is on the cusp of AFL selection..

no money in it either...

I think you misjudge the potential interest in a format that would showcase a lot of talent that is on the cusp of AFL selection..

Yeah, because the TAC cup, and u-18 nationals get massive crowds.

Yeah, lots of money for the IPL...in India...where it's played in season, and the 'unknown' players are still the cream of the local regular comp. There is *some* money for the BBL, but again, we have known players.

You're not going to get AFL players to play during pre season, and second tier leagues are probably also going to be iffy about letting their stars interupt their preseasons (and risk injury), so your best hope is the recently retired (if offered enough $$$) and those delisted players who don't see themselves moving to the second tier leagues. The former might get a few people in, but the latter...not so much. Indeed, now that I look at who would play, you'd probably be making up a lot of the numbers with sub second tier players, and that will really struggle to pull a crowd.

You'd actually do better just televising the NT league over summer and using the extra dollars from the tv rights pulls in a few more players, especially the recently retired name players who might get some people to bother to watch the first time or two (which hopefully would be enough to get them hooked).

Yeah, because the TAC cup, and u-18 nationals get massive crowds.

Yeah, lots of money for the IPL...in India...where it's played in season, and the 'unknown' players are still the cream of the local regular comp. There is *some* money for the BBL, but again, we have known players.

You're not going to get AFL players to play during pre season, and second tier leagues are probably also going to be iffy about letting their stars interupt their preseasons (and risk injury), so your best hope is the recently retired (if offered enough $$$) and those delisted players who don't see themselves moving to the second tier leagues. The former might get a few people in, but the latter...not so much. Indeed, now that I look at who would play, you'd probably be making up a lot of the numbers with sub second tier players, and that will really struggle to pull a crowd.

You'd actually do better just televising the NT league over summer and using the extra dollars from the tv rights pulls in a few more players, especially the recently retired name players who might get some people to bother to watch the first time or two (which hopefully would be enough to get them hooked).

My thoughts as well, Foxtel, the AFL etc would have a ready made winner in TV ratings etc, if the NTAFL was pumped up and televised.

Add a Far NQ team, a Broome team and possibly a Alice Springs team, to the already stack of Darwin teams and i reckon you are on a winner.

But the AFL may want the league well and truly finished before the AFL season starts, so no interuptions in their build up.

However i also see a lot of merit in a 9's comp, but obviously a bit more trial and error before the game and rules are set in stone.

The de facto cut down version of footy is kick to kick. You need to elabotate on that a bit to get something watchable

here in NSW (and maybe Qld), we play a fun form of kick-to-kick call force 'em backs or forwards'n'backs, where two teams line up facing each other (like a kick to kick), but you are trying to force the other mob back by kicking longer than them, etc
anyway, I took a footy to work one day (two footies in fact, a sherrin and an ancient kookaburra) and invited some blokes to a kick-to-kick, most of them couldn't kick a footy, but never mind about that, anyway, we ended up on a kid's soccer ground, and I noticed the goals were only about 70m apart, and I had a thought, let's play force 'em backs using the soccer goals, and to make it interesting, we had 2 footies going at once, meaning you could get onto a torp that might duck under the crossbar while people were focusing on the other footy, it was great fun, final score 2-1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back