Strategy Full rebuild v rebuild on the run

Remove this Banner Ad

So what's the prime focus of a full rebuild? To go to the bottom of the ladder to get the best draft picks? ....or to retire older players to make room for younger ones?
You've got to have the young players worth making room for. Bottoming right out gives you access to higher picks, but not more picks and it probably reduces development, so I'm not confident it's beneficial.

You've got to have the young players worth making room for. Bottoming right out gives you access to higher picks, but not more picks and it probably reduces development, so I'm not confident it's beneficial.

i totally agree. north is the proof and probably carlton and melb are too. I agree with keeping some of the older players to keep the fabric intact.

I dont want to harp on about this but hawthorn seem to be doing it beautifully....moved on enough older players but not caring too much about winning. Maybe things have just fallen in their laps with their key position players, but they are 15th and they are maintaining the energy and they'll get another dose of picks this year.

Not that i'm totally in love with the top draft pick formula... I think you have to pick the right ones and you need recruiters who can make the right decisions.

To me, McStay is a signpost. I'd be surprised if we get him and it could be just another case of a manager milking hte media.... but it would be an indication that we could win it in the next 3 years....i dont see any other reason to buy him unless its to try to stay near to finals as per the geelong model and if they have chosen that strategy then they can tell me now so I can check out to another sport...

That’s where we differ. I want a good season and I’m not scared of bad endings. I don’t believe that dipping to the bottom is the only way to win a premiership.

yeh i agree. i dont believe in dipping as the only strategy but if it is, then I would take 5 years dead last to win a premiership. I'd take that deal this second.....this very instant. Dont take this personally, but I'm sick of pie fans putting pressure on the club to make short term decisions so that they can enjoy their win next weekend.

yeh i agree. i dont believe in dipping as the only strategy but if it is, then I would take 5 years dead last to win a premiership. I'd take that deal this second.....this very instant. Dont take this personally, but I'm sick of pie fans putting pressure on the club to make short term decisions so that they can enjoy their win next weekend.

I’m not taking anything personally because I don’t know what the f you’re talking about. I think they are managing things very well for what it’s worth.

PS five years dead last to win a premiership sounds nice but that’s just a throwaway line. There’s no science to that whack theory otherwise everybody would be doing it.

I will enjoy our purple patch and improved form and nobody is going to tell me not to. If we finish fifth or eighth
then that’s where we finish. It’s better than last.

I’m not taking anything personally because I don’t know what the f you’re talking about. I think they are managing things very well for what it’s worth.

PS five years dead last to win a premiership sounds nice but that’s just a throwaway line. There’s no science to that whack theory otherwise everybody would be doing it.

I will enjoy our purple patch and improved form and nobody is going to tell me not to. If we finish fifth or eighth
then that’s where we finish. It’s better than last.

it's just a turn of phrase timothy...enjoy the year

i totally agree. north is the proof and probably carlton and melb are too. I agree with keeping some of the older players to keep the fabric intact.

I dont want to harp on about this but hawthorn seem to be doing it beautifully....moved on enough older players but not caring too much about winning. Maybe things have just fallen in their laps with their key position players, but they are 15th and they are maintaining the energy and they'll get another dose of picks this year.

Not that i'm totally in love with the top draft pick formula... I think you have to pick the right ones and you need recruiters who can make the right decisions.

To me, McStay is a signpost. I'd be surprised if we get him and it could be just another case of a manager milking hte media.... but it would be an indication that we could win it in the next 3 years....i dont see any other reason to buy him unless its to try to stay near to finals as per the geelong model and if they have chosen that strategy then they can tell me now so I can check out to another sport...
If McStay is a signpost it says "wrong way go back".

If McStay is a signpost it says "wrong way go back".

to me....to me... getting in players who is 27 now...and probably 28 or thereabouts next year..... says to me that it's a short-term solution. It means we're ready to go in the next 3 years. So are we ready to go for a premiership or to just hang around in the eight?

Yes not every team can rebuild a multi flag team but the ONLY chance of you doing so is taking the Geelong (also saints of 00s unlucky), Hawks, Collingwood (should of won back 2 back 10/11 potentially in 2012 too), Richmond and Melb (now Carlton) route.

You call it luck, I prefer to think the many goats sacrificed on the alter of the footy gods played some small part.

to me....to me... getting in players who is 27 now...and probably 28 or thereabouts next year..... says to me that it's a short-term solution. It means we're ready to go in the next 3 years. So are we ready to go for a premiership or to just hang around in the eight?
He is not a player you get in to improve your flag chances. Brings nothing.

well that means being on the bottom for that period and probably a total loss of game style as per North now, or Melb and Carlton in the past decade. It also ends up with admin in crisis etc. Just thinking about it, hawthorn is about the only club managing it well with 3 years around 14th on the ladder and maintaiing its integrity but thats why the hawks have been successful. Their fans understand the process and trust the people in charge. Pie fans arent like that and neithehr are other clubs. We would discintergrate self-explode

We'd be fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back