Archie Thompson (75)
David Zdrilic (79)
Aurelio Vidmar (80)
Simon Colosimo (82)
Con Boutsianis (85)
Archie Thompson (87)
Archie Thompson (90)
David Zdrilic (91)

WHO SAID SOCCER WAS A LOW SCORING GAME?? ;)

------------------
"I came here to win, I am a winner" - Denzel Washington , Remember The Titans ; 2000

Surely Thompson's 14 goals must be a record for an International?

Since the previous Internation team record (notwithstanding our 22-0 win) was 20 goals, it is hard to imagine one player scoring more in a single match?

------------------
Marshmallow War - TigerFury.net -Independant Richmond Tigers website

[This message has been edited by CJH (edited 12 April 2001).]

Originally posted by CJH:
Surely Thompson's 14 goals must be a record for an International?

Since the previous Internation team record (notwithstanding our 22-0 win) was 20 goals, it is hard to imagine one player scoring more in a single match?

It is a record but i'm not sure if it is 13 goals or 14 as FIFA are waiting for clarification as to whether the final score was 31-0 or 32-0.There was some confusion as to whether another goal was added on from somewhere.

Seriously, I reckon the Oceania confederation is a joke. We have no serious competition (no offence NZ) and we don't have things like confederational championships, eg: European Championships, etc (I know the Oceania Championship may actually exist, but I think it would be considered little more than a joke). If Australia want to be prepared for the tough games, they need to join Asia.

The suggestion I liked a few years ago was to take the six confederations and merge them into four... giving:
Europe
America
Asia
and Africa.

------------------
Life has meaning only in the struggle.

Its just such a big joke, I dont think that the records should be even kept. It was rather more of a training run versus a college team than an internaiton match

------------------
======================
Phil
mannphilip@hotmail.com

If we play in ASIA qualifying, it will be twice as hard!

Consider playing teams like Iran, Saudi Arabia, korea, japan.

Will Australia have any chance?

------------------
"I came here to win, I am a winner" - Denzel Washington , Remember The Titans ; 2000

Why even mention the 32-0 drubbing...it is embarrasing to Australia to suggest this is an International...and first and foremost..

what effect must this be having on those oceania islands that are up against Australia in the play offs.......

It is a terrible situation and an insult to those poor countries..

Fix it FIFA !

PA1870

Originally posted by QT:
If we play in ASIA qualifying, it will be twice as hard!

Consider playing teams like Iran, Saudi Arabia, korea, japan.

Will Australia have any chance?

Oh come on QT... OK, the name "Iran" still brings up nightmares, but I hardly think the likes of Saudi Arabia, Korea and Japan will strike fear into Australia's hearts. Anyway, if we can't beat these losers, we don't deserve to be in the world cup anyway.

Cheers,
You know who

------------------

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I read today that FIFA are going to allow the Oceania winner direct entry to the World Cup from now on... is this a joke? I mean, it's great for Australia, but beating the likes of New Zealand and Fiji is hardly a fair qualification, considering what teams in other confederations have to go through... and it still doesn't address Australia's problem of lack of tough opposition.... NZ are hardly going to be a good preparation for the World Cup....

------------------

Originally posted by sbagman:

I read today that FIFA are going to allow the Oceania winner direct entry to the World Cup from now on... is this a joke? I mean, it's great for Australia, but beating the likes of New Zealand and Fiji is hardly a fair qualification, considering what teams in other confederations have to go through... and it still doesn't address Australia's problem of lack of tough opposition.... NZ are hardly going to be a good preparation for the World Cup....

Other countreis bloody have to qualify against the best teams in the world...we have 2 hard games eevry 4 yrs, and we complain!

------------------

Remove this Banner Ad

Back