Remove this Banner Ad

Colin D'Cops

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts Essendon Player Sponsor 2011
Nov 24, 2007
AFL Club
Carlton
Hi folks,

Just wanted to start a thread that was dedicated to 'fun runs'.

Who has ran in any of the events listed above here? Or any fun runs in general? Any circuits that you like/dislike? Any recommendations with regards to preparing for a quality run (diet, exercise, liquids, etc)?

I'm looking at going into a few runs next month for sure. Have been running 4km for the past 3 weeks (minus weekends). Diet hasn't been cherry ripe as of late (take-away twice a week lately), but plan to really watch what I eat from now on as it makes me feel quite lazy the next day (eating crap). Also, have been feeling really tired on weekends, so am thinking maybe cutting a day off the five day schedule; what are people's thoughts on that?

General running discussion also very much welcomed in this thread.

Did anyone run in any of the Melbourne Marathon events today? The 10km I reckon was short. I did a PB by about 4 minutes and three mates also improved their times drastically. I reckon it was about 500-800m short. Anyone else agree?

I ran the 10km today at the Melbourne Marathon & reckon you might be right. I had been on a bit of a high after running a much quicker than expected time & was surprised not only with the time, but how easy it felt. My bubble was burst when I checked out the Cool Running website forum on the event & saw a dozen posts declaring the race was anywhere from 500m to 800m short based on runners GPS's. Really enjoyed the event & the day in general, but this is pretty poor, if correct, when they are charging $60 entry fee for the privilege.

Interesting comments from you two on the 10km event. I went in the half marathon today - which was fantastic and I ran a significant personal best - but I couldn't see any km markers from 17km onwards which was annoying as this is the time to 'hang on'. Ill check out coolrunning for 10km comments from others - if it was short this is seriously bad. How hard is it to measure out 10km?:rolleyes:

Quite frankly it is not good enough. It is not like they had to measure it with a trundle wheel. If they were a few metres out or even up to 100m then you could maybe understand but up to 800m? I hear that the 5km run was also short by up to 1km! :eek: I hope they at least acknowledge it.

Just out of curiosity did anyone do it last year as well? Did the course change from last year?

That's really s**t. It can't be that hard to get AA certified distances, even the smaller events that attract a few hundred people over here have them.

IMO, it's bloody critical, I doubt i'd enter fun runs if the distances were only approximate. Half the fun of them is bettering your times.

I know the guy who won the 5K and he's a mid-high 15's 5K runner at best right now, so yeah, this was quite a cohk-up by IMG. It was probably more disappointing for all the masses taking huge chunks off their PB's then being told of the ugly truth than it was for Luke.

Off the topic of the weekend's runs, is anybody doing the Great Australian Run (15K around town, great course, pointy end of field is national standard and the invites are world class)?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm entered into the spring into shape runs in october and november, 4k's. also entered in the olympic dream run in november as well. will begin training in december for next years melb marathon.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back