Funniest Songs In Rock

Remove this Banner Ad

Blood Duster's Drink Fight * is one of the best. Not sure I'm allowed to post the video because of language, but the chorus is the greatest chorus in the history of music:

"Drink! Fight! *! Let's go mother*ers!"

Better than any of that Beatles rubbish

Basically every song on Electric Six's first album has some hilarious lines in them, but I still chuckle along every time I hear this one in particular:

Art Brut is another band that wrote a bunch of really great songs with really funny storytelling in them ("Good Weekend" about new love, "Emily Kane" about lost love, "My Little Brother" about discovering music and being a bit of a music elitist w***er), but the whole concept of this one makes me laugh every time. The song absolutely rocks, which definitely helps, but the chorus hook of "Modern art, makes me, want to rock out" would be funny even in a crap song:

Yard Act is my favourite new band of the last few years and the sardonic lyrics are a major part of that. There was a few lines in this song that made me burst out laughing when I first heard them and still get a little giggle now and then even after listening to the album so many times:

I am nominating "I'm So Tired" from the White Album for John Lennon cursing Sir Walter Raleigh for his smoking habit.

Also, Bucket T by The Who. This is probably a novelty song anyway, but at the 1:33 or 1:34 mark, when the band is singing "T, T, T, T, etc." before the third verse, I swear I can hear somebody singing "Peter T" (as in Peter Townshend) which I reckon is a deliberate in-joke. Can anyone else hear the word "Peter" being thrown in there?

And yes, this song is a Keith Moon lead vocal.

Jimmy Webb is a great songwriter whose written many worthy hits for others over the decades, but I don’t know what he
was smoking (or maybe I do) when he wrote ‘MacArthur Park‘, first recorded by Richard Harris in 1968 - over 7 minutes of overwrought tosh with lengthy, climactic orchestral intermissions. That’s not the funny part, for apart from it actually becoming
a big hit amongst all the stoned out hippies of the time, the lyrics are a meaningless hoot, best summed up by the chorus -
“… MacArthur’s Park is melting in the dark / All the sweet, green icing flowing down / Someone left the cake out in the rain /
I don’t think I can take it / ‘Cause it took so long to bake it / And I’ll never have the recipe again, oh no!
…”
I saw Jimmy Webb at the Fly By Night in Freo quite a few years ago. Just him and a piano. Great entertainer, great songs.

Napoleon XIV - They're Coming To Take Me Away Ha Haaa! (1966)

Everything that was wrong with the seventies can be found in this one song, which is so terrible its funny. At least I find it that way, I have to laugh so I don't throw up.

Rick Dees and his Cast of Idiots - Disco Duck TOTP ( 1976 )

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Every Breath You Take - because most people think it's a love song whereas it's actually about a stalker.

Born in the USA - because a lot of Americans think it's a patriotic song whereas it's actuslly criticising the US.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back