Review Funny things you have seen at North games

Remove this Banner Ad

I mentioned this story a while ago
Early 80s
Arden st
Underneath scoreboard
A nice fella used to let me stand on his slab so I could see ( was about 12/13 at the time)
He would gargle his beer and at the same time say
“Nobody caaan like Mc Caaan caaan”
Hundreds of people in hysterics

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Saw a guy stomp on his hat after Boomer kicked his third goal in a row in our comeback game against the scum* in 2012.

On that one, there were scum supporters near me and one of them was like "He's gunna run aound you, he's gunna run around you, he's gunna .... arghhagaragahhagahahagaga" as Boomer duly ran around him and dobbed the goal.

Despite it being an 'anti-North' thing, and not side-splitting, I did enjoy the artistry of this bogan poet...

During a NM v WCE game at Subiaco Oval, in the Carey vs Jacovich era, with Jacovich doing his usual number on Carey. A tall and solid Weagles supporter, slightly inebriated, with a big voice stands up and bellows....

...with each word emphasised equally... "He's too big, and he's too strong!" (crowd titters.)

[pause]

Then, with a slightly different emphasis, "He's tooo big, and he's tooo strong!" (crowd laughs a bit louder.)

[slightly longer pause, for effect...]

...before completing the three line stanza, "He's toooo big, and he's tooooo strong!" (crowd erupts into laughter.)

It helped to alleviate the angst involved in seeing Carey yet again resort to trying to wrestle Jacovich who was, in that situation, too big and too strong.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Counterbalanced by a middle aged North supporter, at the same ground, express his delight and admiration for Carey during one of his better games against the Weagles with a simple, adoring, but loudly expressed...

:heart: "Oooooooh, Waaayne!" :heart: (NTTAWWT)

Like the one above, a sort of subtlety that brings a smile to my face.

On that one, there were scum supporters near me and one of them was like "He's gunna run aound you, he's gunna run around you, he's gunna .... arghhagaragahhagahahagaga" as Boomer duly ran around him and dobbed the goal.
Same game some short rednut bloke was threatening me for carrying on in standing area of the Bombers's goals. Probably the funniest part of the day in reflection.

Despite it being an 'anti-North' thing, and not side-splitting, I did enjoy the artistry of this bogan poet...

During a NM v WCE game at Subiaco Oval, in the Carey vs Jacovich era, with Jacovich was doing his usual number on Carey. A tall and solid Weagles supporter, slightly inebriated, with a big voice stands up and bellows....

...with each word emphasised equally... "He's too big, and he's too strong!" (crowd titters.)

[pause]

Then, with a slightly different emphasis, "He's tooo big, and he's tooo strong!" (crowd laughs a bit louder.)

[slightly longer pause, for effect...]

...before completing the three line stanza, "He's toooo big, and he's tooooo strong!" (crowd erupts into laughter.)

It helped to alleviate the angst involved in seeing Carey yet again resort to trying to wrestle Jacovich who was, in that situation, too big and too strong.

Yeah nah. 50/50

'Twas either 1968 or 1969, home game v Melbourne, on the hill next to scoreboard. beginning of 4th Q, a pretty well inebriated Dees fan in overcoat and hat kicked a North blokes large ? 750ml can of Fosters over to spill, after a brief exchange of pleasantries, both shaped up to each other, North fan unleashes a left/right combo Lionel Rose would have been proud of, and Dees fan was flat on his back, with his hat and very cheap toupe/rug lying on the ground next to him, the crowd erupted into spontaneous applause/laughter.

The bloke I went to the 2015 Swans final with running up and down along the isle swinging his shirt above his head and belting out the song while everyone (nearly all north people) stared at him open mouthed wondering wtf he was doing.

My Mrs says the elephant, and we reckon that's closey followed by the scoreboard at the MCG catching fire, and also the food stall at Arden St (I recall thinking somebody must have robbed the joint and was escaping as the dude jumped the counter, then, wooof! The flames shot out). Damn! I was hungry too.

Maybe another at the G when some irritating geelong prick behind us was being as annoying as *, and I was under a warning from the Mrs for hurling abuse at him. To keep the peace, when my mother in law said something to my wife, I mentioned that I'd been told to lay off as the Geelong guy was a bit simple. Then, just a few minutes later he yelled something and another North supporter bit back. My mother in law stood up and told our bloke off for being nasty to the poor geelong guy who was simple and couldn't help himself. Silenced the entire bay it did. When I finally told her it was a joke she was a bit annoyed :)

But my favourite was when Jon Dorotich was lining up to put the nail in the coffin against us one day, and John (Pigs Arse) Elliott was a guest of Trevor Marmalade, slumming it in the AFL members. This was when Carlton were rumoured to be making an offer to buy out North. Dorra would have sealed the game with a goal, but he stubbed the ground, our blokes cleared the ball and we scored. I pulled $5 out of my pocket and offered it to Elliott to buy Dorra, but I asked the crowd if anybody had twoo two's and a one to make change?

Was very pleased that the bastard left early.

Me and about 1,000 other North fans leaving a game in 2005 against Collingwood three goals down with five minutes to go. By the time I reached the concourse (there used to be a huge tv screen there) it was a goal the difference. Won by six points to huge cheers from the outside crowd.

On SM-G950F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Last game of footy that Lidge went to (Nth v Pies night game), along with RoyalBlue and myself, was a bizarre and hilarious night that included among other things....

- an overly amorous couple sitting in front of us (think: a softcore pr0n version of Jerry and his girlfriend during Schindler's List)
- a 'scrag fight' erupting just behind us
- and a dwarf picking a blue with me immediately after the siren

Plus lots of pre-game and during-game beer. And an excellent North win.

Glad the last game he got to see was a ripping game on a piss funny night.

Anyway, on a different note.....

.....back in the mid to late 90's I developed a liking for going to the footy while tripping balls on magic mushies. Used to love sitting way up the top of the MCG and watching the little ants play football.

Sadly, it all came undone one day at Princes Park when I, erm, over indulged a tad.

I was standing in the line to go into the ground and was thinking to myself, "This is insane. You are waaaaaay too ****ed up to be going in there, dude. You can hardly stand up." But I spent far too long meditating on that thought and all of a sudden I realised I was at the start of the queue. So I went in. Crowd was seriously freaking me out, so I stood up in the concrete walkway between the tiers. That way I could lean against the wall and get some space and fresh air. As the First Quarter unfolded I slowly started to regain my calm and enjoy the footy. I even mustered up the confidence to yell something out.

However, for reasons that to this day are still unknown to me, I decided to yell something out just as the crowd noise had lulled. Unfortunately, there was some kind of disconnect between my brain and my vocal chords, and all that came out was something along the lines of "Ghwoursdenlydnlawpinklrt". Suddenly, a good 50 or so people around me all turned as one and looked straight at me. Several were laughing. I turned and ran out the exit.

As I'm beating a retreat from the ground, I hear the ground announcer make an announcement over the loud speaker. Probably something like "Patrons are reminded to stay off the ground after the game, etc, etc" or some such. But in my wasted mind he was actually saying "Did you guys see that dude all ****ed up on mushies? How funny was that?"

Last edited:
On the way out from the “the GF that shall not be mentioned” in 1998, I, along with other North supporters, was roundly abused by some Adelaide faithful. It stuck in my craw and I’ve always held it in for Adelaide supporters since then. Roll forward to R7 1999. I was on L2 at the MCG Punt Road end, I think. My wife and 4 month old son were attending their first AFL game. North duly scored 10.3 in the first quarter and I’m feeling really good. Along comes a North supporter, who travels from the very back of Level 2 and leans over the edge and starts shouting at the Adelaide throng who were down on L1 to our right. “You dogs, you’re nothing but f****ing dogs”, he kept repeating and pointing at them. He went on for about two minutes. It was classic. My wife wasn’t inclined to attend any more games. However, it must have rubbed off subliminally on my son because he’s fairly vocal at games now that he’s turned 21.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back