Review Funny things you have seen at North games

Remove this Banner Ad

I sat near Tim Rogers that day
Ullo Gaso, I couldn't get to the '96 as I was playing with my rocknroll group in Sydney. (Tours are booked months in advance and canning gigs messes up a lot. Well it did back then when we wuz pop stars). We had an all-ages show in the arvo, which I at the very least refused to start until the game was over. The club, The Metro on George St, decked out our dressing room in colours and a big TV to watch. With two gigs that day I 'd pledged not to start the suds til' at least the siren, however Glenn Freeborn ruined that lil' pledge Gorblessim. Anyways we were half an hour late to start the kids show. Can't remember a thing as I was so deliriously happy. The night show, whoa boy. The first two rows were folks in Swans gear flippin me off the whole show as I had a guernsey and scarf draped over my amp. I couldn't help look at 'em with benign pity. They pay to see a rock show and the bloody lead singer is a North lifer. Bugger 'em. Got back home to Leichhardt (i was livin up there then) watched the game over with my missus and drained a lotta bubbles. Felt enormously....empty. No sold out rock show, let alone two, could get anywhere near the feeling of being there. My story of '99 is equally piquant but that's one for a round table, some tins, and a looooong afternoon. See ya at the Town Hall. Soon. Best to ya. And i hope fake Tim was at least, fragrant and witty.

In 2009 we had game against Carlton which was Simmo's last. There was plenty of fanfare in the lead up to the game (which he played on one leg due to a training mishap during the week). At the game it was Adam Simpson this and Adam Simpson that, and we kicked something like 10 straight behinds in the last quarter to lose by 10 points as Simmo led the boys off the ground.

Exactly one week later North were playing Melbourne at the docklands. At some stage during the game we had possession at half back with wide open options everywhere and one of our players (can't remember who) kicked it straight to a Melbourne player standing by themselves in the middle of the centre square. As most North supporters let out a collective groan at the unforced error, an elderly gentleman behind me slapped the seat next to me and said in an incredibly aggravated tone "IS THAT YOU SIMPSON???" to which my mates and I tried not to laugh to hard at. He was pretty steamed up and his wife tried to calm him as he went on "THAT GUY TURNS IT OVER EVERY BLOODY WEEK. WHEN WILL ENOUGH BE ENOUGH LAIDLEY?"

To this day myself and the mates I went that day with still pull out the "Is that you Simpson" anytime someone stuffs up a players name.

Ullo Gaso, I couldn't get to the '96 as I was playing with my rocknroll group in Sydney. (Tours are booked months in advance and canning gigs messes up a lot. Well it did back then when we wuz pop stars). We had an all-ages show in the arvo, which I at the very least refused to start until the game was over. The club, The Metro on George St, decked out our dressing room in colours and a big TV to watch. With two gigs that day I 'd pledged not to start the suds til' at least the siren, however Glenn Freeborn ruined that lil' pledge Gorblessim. Anyways we were half an hour late to start the kids show. Can't remember a thing as I was so deliriously happy. The night show, whoa boy. The first two rows were folks in Swans gear flippin me off the whole show as I had a guernsey and scarf draped over my amp. I couldn't help look at 'em with benign pity. They pay to see a rock show and the bloody lead singer is a North lifer. Bugger 'em. Got back home to Leichhardt (i was livin up there then) watched the game over with my missus and drained a lotta bubbles. Felt enormously....empty. No sold out rock show, let alone two, could get anywhere near the feeling of being there. My story of '99 is equally piquant but that's one for a round table, some tins, and a looooong afternoon. See ya at the Town Hall. Soon. Best to ya. And i hope fake Tim was at least, fragrant and witty.

Omg I was wrong.

It was 99!

We had that big queue all through the MCG car park.

You had your hat on with some other bloke and we were about 20 metres apart in the line. At the game you had the hat on and we’re about 15 rows apart top deck of Sth Stand.

I went to North v Richmond on a Friday night in the early nineties with my old man.
Ended up sitting next to a group of Richmond lads who had been enjoying a tipple.
At some stage at a very non descript point in the game the one next to me stood up and shouted

‘Uuuuunderpants!’

Dad and others around us lost their s**t and it’s always stayed with me.

ks at the 125th anniversary game were a highlight, filling the MCG with smoke. Then, sitting behind the Punt Road goal on level 1, a bunch of us suddenly saw a missile headed directly for us. One of the mortars had tipped o

Orange peanut in the crowd with 0.04 secs left in the game Gaso ?

Listen to the crowd roar when Shagga kicks his second goal in a minute to level to scores... one of my favourite memories

JMac turned the ball over in our defensive 50 and so I got up angrily and shouted "you're s**t JMac!!"

Little did I know that his family were sitting directly behind me...was a bit embarrassing, but let's be honest here, is JMac good?

JMac turned the ball over in our defensive 50 and so I got up angrily and shouted "you're s**t JMac!!"

Little did I know that his family were sitting directly behind me...was a bit embarrassing, but let's be honest here, is JMac good?

The moral of the story is that you shouldn't say anything that you wouldn't say to a persons face.

Back in the 1970’s we use to sit between the two races but closer to the North race. There was an older gentleman who would regularly yell out to the opposition players when they were close enough “you star. - Monster”.
Also remember one of the elder ladies in the same group sing her umbrella to poke a player.

Simply the wierdest thing I ever saw...

I went to a North vs C'wood game with my St Kilda mate (who at the time was preferring to go to Friday night North games than to see his own miserable lot play). As a result, I sat in the normal part of the crowd, this time, behind the goals at the old Ponsford end. The crowd colours were mixed where we sat - and I had an empty seat beside me until shortly before the game started. Then, this old bloke turned up - he had a suitcase with him.

He said g'day, and was even reasonably OK for a collingwood supporter I suppose - harmless enough I thought.

As he opened his suitcase to remove the contents, he turned to me and said, "I barrack for Collingwood, but I don't get too excited or say too much..."

He then removed a ventroloquist doll from the case and sat it on his knee.

"But," he said, "This little bastard is a foul mouthed campaigner and he's gunna scream s**t at youse North Melbourne arseholes all *in' night long the dirty tempered little campaigner that he is!!"

And that doll was ******* well as foul mouthed a bastard as I ever have ever met.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back