Future Australian Test Prospects

Who, if any of these players will eventually play a Test match for Australia?

• Alex Carey

Votes: 51 60.7%
  • Josh Inglis

Votes: 42 50.0%
  • Jimmy Peirson

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Seb Gotch

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mitch Swepson

Votes: 47 56.0%
  • Adam Zampa

Votes: 8 9.5%
  • Lloyd Pope

Votes: 9 10.7%
  • Tanveer Sangha

Votes: 36 42.9%
  • Will Pucovski (Free Space)

Votes: 49 58.3%
  • Ben McDermott

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Sam Whiteman

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Bryce Street

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Jack Wildermuth

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • Michael Neser

Votes: 34 40.5%
  • Will Sutherland

Votes: 35 41.7%
  • Marcus Stoinis

• Sean Abbott

• Harry Conway

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Riley Meredith

Votes: 26 31.0%
  • Mark Steketee

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • Xavier Bartlett

• Daniel Worrall

• None

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Matt Kelly

Votes: 7 8.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Well Warner who has been our top batsman with Steve Smith for past while cut his teeth in t20. Smith probably played a lot of t20 before being etasblished too. Kohli never misses IPL - wrong to blame t20

i cant recall too many aussies in recent times batting a whole day to save a test though - khawaja in the UAE comes to mind.

dont get me wrong 20/20 has had a positive impact in test cricket in other ways though.

i cant recall too many aussies in recent times batting a whole day to save a test though - khawaja in the UAE comes to mind.

dont get me wrong 20/20 has had a positive impact in test cricket in other ways though.

I think ppl are quick to blame t20 but players like Smith & Labs score about the rate Justin Langer did. Hayden, Pointing & of course Gilchrist scored much faster.

His issue is outside off stump which he hasn't been fixed for past few seasons. Not going to be magically improved by missing one test

His issue is losing concentration and playing loose shots after he's in, being dropped may improve it.

Last edited:

His issue is outside off stump which he hasn't been fixed for past few seasons. Not going to be magically improved by missing one test
The problem for Head is that being an "off side nibbler" is pretty much the hardest flaw to fix in batting because for most batsmen - and indeed it is for Head - it's also a prime scoring area.

How do you differentiate between a scoring opportunity and one your going to spoon to a fieldsman?

He can try to take that shot out of his game but he's gonna miss out on a lot of runs.

Think Davies could be a very special player. Very interested to see if he ends up down the Glenn Maxwell path or transfers across to test match cricket as well.

He will play test cricket he is from NSW you know he will be given heaps of opportunity. Maxy always got a raw deal now doesn’t really play FC cricket

Davies has yet to play a FC game. Settle down.
Yeah but has been touted for years as one of our best prospects coming through age group cricket. He plays proper shots in the bbl. People started talking about Warner playing test cricket before he played a FC game.

As someone who has just turned 20 you would hope to see him play 3/4 seasons of FC cricket but he is definitely a prospect

Tanveer Sangha is yet to make a FC debut but is in the pole

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed the start of the year as he had an IPL contract would expect him to play when the season resumes
Would he even make a full strength WA shield side at the moment? Bancroft, Whiteman, Smarsh, Green, MMarsh, Stoinis, Inglis. Hard to crack in to that top 7 unless players are on national duty/injured.

And we wonder why depth in the Shield isn't what it once was.
It wouldn't normally be an issue just Covid wreaking havoc on the fixture.

However it would be nice if we had spent the past month and a half playing shield cricket, but CA needs to prioritize the Big meme league!

Would he even make a full strength WA shield side at the moment? Bancroft, Whiteman, Smarsh, Green, MMarsh, Stoinis, Inglis. Hard to crack in to that top 7 unless players are on national duty/injured.
Has been pretty much a regular since debuting in that team, i would be surprised if he wasn't.

He has the talent no doubt but is obviously still a long way from being in the test discussion.

Really think Jhye Richardson could be a Dale Steyn style bowler given the opportunity. Would like to see him get an opportunity if one of the quicks break down
No doubt he is next in line once he can prove his fitness. His start to his international career was very impressive, i am a huge fan.

J. Doran and J.Sanga - I thought these guys were the next big things a few years ago... what happened to Doran? I remember he was hyped up in 2013 as a 17 year old when he played in tour match against the touring England side. Sanga is still only 21 but I thought he was also meant to be a gun number 3 bat.

Jhye Richardson and Matt Renshaw are two that I am hoping get more chances in the future.

J. Doran and J.Sanga - I thought these guys were the next big things a few years ago... what happened to Doran? I remember he was hyped up in 2013 as a 17 year old when he played in tour match against the touring England side. Sanga is still only 21 but I thought he was also meant to be a gun number 3 bat.

Jhye Richardson and Matt Renshaw are two that I am hoping get more chances in the future.

Problem with Renshaw is he was pigeon holed as an opener which he doesn’t really want to be now and was told to bat faster and then slower and then faster. He lost form and confidence.

J.Sangha and Doran have both shown glimpses, particularly Doran but have both just never kicked on or done anything even remotely consistent.

Back