Prediction Future best 22, who makes the cut....

Remove this Banner Ad

My other main problem with the list is not so much the lack of "A graders", which is a bit of a lazy term, but the lack of players whom I'd describe as "best 15 in a premiership team" level.

Now, I'm going to go on what I've seen and categorise everyone whom I have seen play for the club who is on the list.

Hickey - YES (look at how he dominated Nankervis, who is the very definition of "best 15 on a premiership team)
Carlisle - YES
Steven - YES
Gresham - YES
Savage - NO
Ross - YES
Dunstan - at the moment NO
Acres - at the moment NO
Steele - at the moment NO
Freeman - N/A
Clark - YES
Lonie - NO
Geary - NO
Billings - YES
Newnes - NO
Roberton - YES
Longer - at the moment NO
Gilbert - NO (he was once)
Armitage - NO
Long - at the moment NO
Brown - NO (he was once)
Goddard - NO
Austin - YES
Stevens - NO (he's not getting back on the park)
Battle - at the moment NO
Bruce - at the moment NO
Membrey - YES
Webster - YES
Phillips - NO
White - NO
McCartin - NO
Coffield - YES
Wright - NO
Sinclair - YES
McKenzie - NO
Rice - at the moment NO
Clavarino - N/A
Joyce - N/A
Connellan - N/A
Minchington - NO
Pierce - NO
Marshall - NO
Weller - NO
Paton - N/A
Langlands - N/A

So I'd be happy with Hickey, Carlisle, Steven, Gresham, Ross, Clark, Billings, Roberton, Austin, Membrey, Webster, Coffield & Sinclair. That's 13 blokes.

There were eight more I could see one way or another getting there on evidence of things seen (Dunstan, Steele, Acres, Longer, Long, Battle, Bruce & Rice).

Does that look like a potential premiership team?

Rice Austin Webster
Roberton Carlisle Coffield
Sinclair Ross Acres
Billings Battle Clark
Gresham Bruce Membrey
Hickey Dunstan Steven
Steele Longer Long ?????

Now, I've been harsh on a few blokes. Phillips accumulates and has shown cleverness by hand but seems to be another poor kick. McCartin can still make it. White has plenty of toughness but there's surely a reason he keeps finding himself out. Geary's a very good shut down defender but has little else going for him, perhaps he's #22 in the side above. Newnes hasn't really kept developing.

It was clear from Riewoldt's 2nd game, Dal's 2nd game, Ball's 1st game, etc that they would be players who could be 1-15 in a premiership team. We have a lot of "he was good, did some nice things". We need more than that, and more of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back