Future Developments of Sydney Stadiums

RedV3x

It's about time some mods started being fair
Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
You have 5 major sporting stadiums in a city that is difficult to get around due to geographical and historical design, where people don’t like leaving their own suburb/region and would rather watch sport on tv than travel 25km to see a game at ANZ.

Actually that's pretty much a myth about travelling to ANZ.
Most of Sydney is serviced by public transport and trains will get you to ANZ quickly and conveniently.
It's a lot harder to get to many suburban grounds.

That just doesn’t happen in Melbourne.

Or anywhere else. Even in Perth it's mostly two connections to the new Perth Stadium.
It's actually easier travelling in Sydney than in Perth because of the expansive train network existing there.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
Alright, here’s a random ANZ-related question that I’ll put out there: what’s happening with naming rights? ANZ’s agreement runs out at the end of the year and there’s been no announcement about renewal. Given that it will likely be demolished in the next two or three years, should we expect it to revert to Stadium Australia on January 1st or does anyone here know any better?

You couldn't get a more pretentious name than 'Stadium Australia'.
Synonymous with Sydney-siders using 'Sydney' as a synonym for 'Australia'.
Just call it the 'dust bowl'. Sydbey-siders love everything U.S.A.

Actually that's pretty much a myth about travelling to ANZ.
Most of Sydney is serviced by public transport and trains will get you to ANZ quickly and conveniently.
It's a lot harder to get to many suburban grounds.

Or anywhere else. Even in Perth it's mostly two connections to the new Perth Stadium.
It's actually easier travelling in Sydney than in Perth because of the expansive train network existing there.
The train station at Olympic park is an offshoot of another line though

If i took the train from where I lived in Sydney it was 2 trains

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
And so the circus continues. We want state of the art facilities they say. But are you willing to pay the price?? Hell no.

This is why having WSS, ANZ, Spotless, SCG and Allianz will never be as successful as Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth.

You have 5 major sporting stadiums in a city that is difficult to get around due to geographical and historical design, where people don’t like leaving their own suburb/region and would rather watch sport on tv than travel 25km to see a game at ANZ. That just doesn’t happen in Melbourne.

Melbourne has MCG, Marvel and AAMI. 3 major stadiums smack bang in the middle of CBD. Easy for everyone to get to, and the city loves going to see live sporting events.

Perth has 1 major oval, and NIB for football rugby. Adelaide has one major oval and 1 small field for football/rugby.
Brisbane has Suncorp and the Gabba.

What an absolute waste of money. White elephant doesn’t even begin to describe these stadia.

And so the circus continues …. shades of Adelaide Oval, the new Perth Stadium, same dance, different step not even !!

Why not lock up the tenants before building these facilities?

The other joke is that food & drink gets a mention when its usually an integral part of the facility management contract, aka patrons are expected to pay $more ….

Makes it sound as if its 2 long rides.

The Olympic Park loop goes for 2 mins and theres a train every 10 minutes.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Just realised
It’s 3 trains from where I lived.
I thought on event days the train shot up automatically off the blue line
Didn’t realise it was another train altogeh5her

Only took that train once.
Home from the Easter show.
1 stop from Olympic Park to lindcombe
Then jump on another train to Strathfield
Then another one up the Epping line.

I’ll be 100% honest with you
From where I lived, it was easier to get to the scg (1 train 7 stops) then walk from central
Homebush? That same train 5 stops, another 1 or 3 stops (depending on which came sooner) then another 1 stop and hope you didn’t miss a train while figuring out your platform.

Yes Homebush is centrally located. But public transport and connections are considerably inconvenient. It’s why of all the times I went there (basically every game at anz before I left Sydney in 2008) I only took public transport twice. 1 via train for an Easter show, and 1 time a bus for the Brisbane-Sydney game in 2005 (was a Sunday after I injured my ankle the previous day and we needed the room of the disabled spot on the bus for me to rest the foot )

Drove every other time and parked in the vicinity (where the rides get set up is a car park when no show. Normally parked there) as the train network sucks

And that’s from west Ryde (or dundas depending if we went from my mates or mine)

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
If i took the train from where I lived in Sydney it was 2 trains

What's your point ?
It would be rare for anyone anywhere to get a direct service to a stadium.
Both Melbourne and Sydney have well distributed public transport systems.
A lot of Perth uses bus, train and train with huge congestion at Perth central.
It's much easier to get to ANZ than the SCG. That's why they're building the light rail link.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
It's been reported that the WSS offer is around $200k per game.

That doesn't seem unreasonable for a new $300 million stadium if they're being given a clean stadium.
Unfortunately the issue is affordability not reasonableness. I might be offered a decent house for $1 mill, and the price might be reasonable but if I cannot afford it, I cannot afford it, and I have to live elsewhere.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Just realised
It’s 3 trains from where I lived.
I thought on event days the train shot up automatically off the blue line
Didn’t realise it was another train altogeh5her

Only took that train once.
Home from the Easter show.
1 stop from Olympic Park to lindcombe
Then jump on another train to Strathfield
Then another one up the Epping line.

I’ll be 100% honest with you
From where I lived, it was easier to get to the scg (1 train 7 stops) then walk from central
Homebush? That same train 5 stops, another 1 or 3 stops (depending on which came sooner) then another 1 stop and hope you didn’t miss a train while figuring out your platform.

Yes Homebush is centrally located. But public transport and connections are considerably inconvenient. It’s why of all the times I went there (basically every game at anz before I left Sydney in 2008) I only took public transport twice. 1 via train for an Easter show, and 1 time a bus for the Brisbane-Sydney game in 2005 (was a Sunday after I injured my ankle the previous day and we needed the room of the disabled spot on the bus for me to rest the foot )

Drove every other time and parked in the vicinity (where the rides get set up is a car park when no show. Normally parked there) as the train network sucks

And that’s from west Ryde (or dundas depending if we went from my mates or mine)
The only thing wrong with that sports precinct is the lack of pubs clubs and cafes in the area(though that's changing. Supposedly).

You have a train station right there, more car park stations than pretty much anywhere else,
Buses and taxi ranks,
And they are building a light rail link from Parra to strathfield including a Olympic park station.

Anz needs to be fixed as a permanent rectangle but once done (along with the pubs clubs and cafes) you have a perfect sporting precinct.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Unfortunately the issue is affordability not reasonableness. I might be offered a decent house for $1 mill, and the price might be reasonable but if I cannot afford it, I cannot afford it, and I have to live elsewhere.

They would of run this by all clubs before they decided to knock the joint down.

This is just Parrascum trying to talk tough. Itll backfire on them.

WSS now has the Tigers, Wanderers and Waratahs playing out of there, with Parra threatening to play at Penrith(their arch enemies home ground. Hilarious).

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
They would of run this by all clubs before they decided to knock the joint down.

This is just Parrascum trying to talk tough. Itll backfire on them.

WSS now has the Tigers, Wanderers and Waratahs playing out of there, with Parra threatening to play at Penrith(their arch enemies home ground. Hilarious).

It's managed by the mob that manage Optus, who were trying to get Eagles and Freo to pay $10 mill each. That's when the Eagles threatened to stay at Subi. It's also AFTER it was built. So no, I don't think they ran this by the clubs before deciding to rebuild it.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
It's managed by the mob that manage Optus, who were trying to get Eagles and Freo to pay $10 mill each. That's when the Eagles threatened to stay at Subi. It's also AFTER it was built. So no, I don't think they ran this by the clubs before deciding to rebuild it.

I'd disagree. Would say they def ran it by all clubs before the outlay considering the outcry.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder

Yep, fair call.

But that is probably an indication that the builder shouldn't have spent $1m putting it up in the first place if the only people that could use it can't afford it.

DERIBERATE

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2010
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide United, Leeds, Bohemians
Yep, fair call.

But that is probably an indication that the builder shouldn't have spent $1m putting it up in the first place if the only people that could use it can't afford it.
But building Docklands was okay?

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
Yep, fair call.

Thats where the analogy is different. Lots of potential buyers for a $1 mill house, so they are unlikely to drop their price significantly just get you to buy. Not a huge number of potential tenants for a major sport stadium though.

Nov 8, 2000
South of the river
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Peel Thunder
Thats where the analogy is different. Lots of potential buyers for a $1 mill house, so they are unlikely to drop their price significantly just get you to buy. Not a huge number of potential tenants for a major sport stadium though.

Of course. Which makes it all the more ridiculous that the deals weren't sewn up before construction started.

And General Giant , who are the 3 clubs? I know the Waratahs just announced they'd play a couple of games there. Who else?

BringBackTorps

Club Legend
Jan 5, 2017
AFL Club
GWS
No independent business case for the new SFS!
According to SMH's P.Fitzsimmons, the demolition of the SFS will be a major political issue for the LNP, as the ALP are against its demolition. He makes a very powerful argument against its demolition.

The WSW have also, apparently, not accepted the proposed costs for them to play there ?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/eels-w...madness-so-why-should-we-20181017-p50a8o.html

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
Of course. Which makes it all the more ridiculous that the deals weren't sewn up before construction started.

And General Giant , who are the 3 clubs? I know the Waratahs just announced they'd play a couple of games there. Who else?
Wests are playing there instead of ANZ.
Waratahs.
Wanderers.

Parra will to, would be the biggest self destruct if they moved their games to Penrith. I remember when Balmain played silly buggers like that in 95. Almost destroyed the club then and there.

RedV3x

Dec 14, 2015
AFL Club
Fremantle
It's been reported that the WSS offer is around $200k per game.

That doesn't seem unreasonable for a new $300 million stadium if they're being given a clean stadium.

More than reasonable. It's extremely cheap!
Subiaco oval demanded $500k a throw.
How many AFL stadiums would have a break even point at around 30k attendance?
That would imply a figure that is a lot higher than $200k.

jatz14

Brownlow Medallist
Dec 13, 2011
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Perth Glory W-League
More than reasonable. It's extremely cheap!
Subiaco oval demanded $500k a throw.
How many AFL stadiums would have a break even point at around 30k attendance?
That would imply a figure that is a lot higher than $200k.
The initial asking price for Optus was pushing $1 mill a game. Not sure where it ended up.

Back