Future Draft/Trading Strategy

Remove this Banner Ad

If we package our picks 14 and 16 to move up the order it will tell us a lot about how much we rate McInnes. I would like to see a move up the order either way. It will be a tough draft to pick given the COVID impact on the junior competition.

I would not trade next years pick as it will likely be earlier than we’d like to admit. Save it next year for Josh Kelly
We get Nick Daicos next year so may as well trade the pick now. We wont get into the top 6 with this draft. So best hope Mciness falls after pick 17. i am worried bombers go him 6-8. trade into 1st round if we have a target we want on the evening or the 2nd rd using one of our future picks. The benefit of covid their are more likely to be players we really rate other clubs wont. So later 1st rounders may have some better gems usual for some. get 4-5 good young kids in if we can.

Ben Brown was the best immediate option outside of the draft and we seemingly weren't interested. How do you propose we do it?

Get rid of Treloar Stevo and Phillips to free up some cap?

We get Nick Daicos next year so may as well trade the pick now. We wont get into the top 6 with this draft. So best hope Mciness falls after pick 17. i am worried bombers go him 6-8. trade into 1st round if we have a target we want on the evening or the 2nd rd using one of our future picks. The benefit of covid their are more likely to be players we really rate other clubs wont. So later 1st rounders may have some better gems usual for some. get 4-5 good young kids in if we can.
4 or 5? We have traded out our 2nd and 3rd round picks. I think we have to trade up the order, I’m concerned Reef will eat up one of the picks.

I don’t see how we can give the kid up, he’s everything we need at the club right now imo.
Hine will have a draft order, and if he isn’t in our 14 best rated then he does t get picked before then. Simple as that.

Agree though, would have to be picked pretty early to not make a play

I don’t see how we can give the kid up, he’s everything we need at the club right now imo.

I guess it may depend where the bid comes & who is still left in the pool. It certainly is a possibility though.

Cant we just trade our future first for a 2020 first?

Worst case if Reef is bid early then so be it, at least we have three first round picks and still get to use two live ones

Best case is he is bid late and we get three live picks in the top 20 or so and Reef with our fourth pick

If you are referring to Pies 1st this year no otherwise we just trade back to position 14 or 16 again

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I don't follow under 18s, and I guess this year is hard anyway, but who would be the key position prospects available in the 10 to 20 range?

I hoping that our fire sale, whilst needed, was also a sign our club wanted to look for more of a team gameplan rather than stars or nothing. Ads, Stevo and Phillips were highly paid players who often either were stunning or having stinkers. Richmond and Geelong teams are full of okay consistent players who you can depend on to do their job most weeks.

Cant we just trade our future first for a 2020 first?

Worst case if Reef is bid early then so be it, at least we have three first round picks and still get to use two live ones

Best case is he is bid late and we get three live picks in the top 20 or so and Reef with our fourth pick
Yes, and Rendell said in his interview that that’s what we’ll do between now and draft.

I can see us trading up the order to prevent a bid on Reef... only to see a bid on Reef anyway. And losing a bid in the process.
We then just wouldn’t take him. Let’s say we trade up to pick 10, if we don’t rate him as a top 10 talent and a bid came in at 6 we wouldn’t match the bid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't follow under 18s, and I guess this year is hard anyway, but who would be the key position prospects available in the 10 to 20 range?

I hoping that our fire sale, whilst needed, was also a sign our club wanted to look for more of a team gameplan rather than stars or nothing. Ads, Stevo and Phillips were highly paid players who often either were stunning or having stinkers. Richmond and Geelong teams are full of okay consistent players who you can depend on to do their job most weeks.

Phillips and Treloar were extremely consistent players.

0EEDC3B0-9051-4BAE-802D-E4A5520D5437.jpeg

This is our strategy for recruitment. Probably why we have so many 5’9 70kg midfield/small forward who can’t score.

View attachment 1012042

This is our strategy for recruitment. Probably why we have so many 5’9 70kg midfield/small forward who can’t score.

This is wrong on so many levels.
It’s obvious Ned throws 2 darts not one.
it’s one dart for each of the first round picks we are going to piss away.

HUh our game plan has been team focussed and defensively at that for years now.

Very very very few have any license to stray from it or be individuals out there. We are quite a boring team to watch these days mostly due to team ethos (defensive).

Phillips and Treloar were extremely consistent players.
Treloar and Phillips had consistent stat numbers but not impact on the game. Treloar was like Tom Mitchell in that he gets a lot of it, but he didnt hit targets. Phillips output dropped in terms of quality over the past 18 months.

HUh our game plan has been team focussed and defensively at that for years now.

Very very very few have any license to stray from it or be individuals out there. We are quite a boring team to watch these days mostly due to team ethos (defensive).
Richmond have the most tram focused gameplay in the league. It's why they have so many players that seem average yet still find a way to win.

I am very critical of our gameplan. Its too slow and I don't know why we changed it after such a refreshing change in 18.

Treloar and Phillips had consistent stat numbers but not impact on the game. Treloar was like Tom Mitchell in that he gets a lot of it, but he didnt hit targets. Phillips output dropped in terms of quality over the past 18 months.

Thats not what you said the first time. You said they were "either were stunning or having stinkers".

Now you say they were consistent but didnt impact the game. Which I agree with.... but its the complete opposite of your first comment that I responded to.

Your comment was correct for Stephenson, although he wouldnt be the only young forward in that boat.

All of a sudden I feel better with Mark’s letter to the members. I suspected they were clearing space for a free agent or two and that has now in a way been confirmed.

Still would have been better to get better trade value for Treloar, Phillips and Stevo but if it means we improve then you cut your losses pure and simple. That’s good management, not so good that we ended up in that situation with so much money invested in depreciated assets though.

On wards and upwards.

If we draft well, we can run the richmond model. You like Derek but he has shown a preference for players who were injured during or before their draft years....and I think there's a strong connection with our injury list

Really? Apart from Shaz and Kelly, which other players were injured pre-draft? Dawes is the only other 1 I can think of and that's going back quite a ways.

No disrespect intended, but if you’re saying that on 2020 form Stevo’s loss isn’t much, you’d also have to say that Grundy is just an average ruckman. You can’t have it both ways.

On that basis who are our “elite core players” of whom you only need 5 or 6? I’d say Moore, Grundy if fit, with Maynard and Adams a rung below. We have a lot of ground to make up to create a premiership team.

Grundy's down season still had him among the top 1/2 dozen rucks in the league so I think that's a bit of a long bow.

Of our "elite" core, I'd say Pendles, Sidey, Howe, Grundy, Adams, Moore and Maynard. I'd add Langdon if he was able to get back and recapture his pre-injury form. Crispy the next level down. The question is how long can we rely on Pendles and Sidey and who will be the kids coming through to replace them.

We don’t invest in forwards. We have taken two forwards with a first round pick in 15 years under Hine one was a father son. Can’t see that changing

That's more to do with not having 1st round picks available than a strategy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back